Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1994 Dodge Ram 2500/5.9 12 valve diesel/ nv4500
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a 94 12 valve from a guy and he told me when he had it the blinkers and hazards did not work. I thought it would be an easy fix like a fuse, flasher relay, combination switch, or a bulb but none of those worked so far. The gauge cluster does not light up the front and rear lights won’t blink I’m at a loss, any help would be awesome thanks.

·
Registered
19,310 Posts
Are both flashers installed?

·
Registered
'98 Ram of Doom. Funny and ironic name for a vehicle, don't ya think?
12 Posts
(SOMEbodies gotta ask it...)

Did you check the fluid yet???

:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Either bad combination switch/wiring to the combination switch, or somebody put LED lamps in all the corners and didn't upgrade to LED flasher modules (LEDs do not draw enough current to make the blinker modules, well... blink). The hazards and turn signals are fed by separate circuits and use separate flasher modules. And the fronts go separate from the rears since the rears have to be integrated with the brake lamps. So there's very few things that can make it all not work (of course, in a new-to-you truck, you don't necessarily know that it all failed at the same time, so there might be several things wrong).

·
Registered
127 Posts
So I just bought a 94 12 valve from a guy and he told me when he had it the blinkers and hazards did not work. I thought it would be an easy fix like a fuse, flasher relay, combination switch, or a bulb but none of those worked so far. The gauge cluster does not light up the front and rear lights won’t blink I’m at a loss, any help would be awesome thanks.
I have discovered that some flashers will not cycle and produce pulses if they do not have the load of a lamp for the current to pass through. I would confirm that lamps, sockets
and wiring are good. Another thing to consider is that the light housings are plastic, so ground wires may need to be checked. You could check the combination switch that controls the lights, but the 4-way switch is independent from this, so you need to find a problem that is common to both, perhaps supply wire that runs from the fuse box.

Is there a trailer connector fitted to the rear harness? These are notorious for failing and causing problems. A lot of people do not have the skill to connect them properly, or they are just lazy and do a poor job. If the connections are not made and sealed properly, they will will at some time fail. Even a well done connection can be damaged though.

You might need a schematic to trace out the circuit. You might be able to download a complete manual that should have schematics on the form at

·
Registered
19,310 Posts
This guy is a one post wonder. My guess is he found the problem and never came back. For what it's worth, try pulling your flashers out one at a time. You will find with one removed nothing works.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sometimes a problem has a simple solution that is initially overlooked. The poster discovers it, but is too embarrassed to post it. That's ok, it happens to some of us once in a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts