Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the driver side blinker/marker light is not working. When the lights are on, the signal on the cluster stays lit but the light doesn’t work. When I hit the blinker, it flashes quickly. I changed the bulb to no avail. The plug has power to it when I turn on the lights. Passenger side works normal
Also the third brake light doesn’t work but I assume it is the bulb just haven’t got that far yet.
The reverse lights and license lights don’t work, just haven’t started in on those yet either
Finally the cruise works until it turn on lights then it kicks off. If I turn the lights off, the cruise will engage again.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be welcomed
Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like you have a chore ahead of you. BTW, I just replaced my 3rd brake light, it has multiple bulbs.
If I had these issues I would look at a wiring schematic to see what the components have in common, a cluster, a fuse circuit, a power source, something that connects them. But before that even, I would take a real close look at body to frame and engine to frame grounds and battery cable connections.
I have found that to be a common issue with these vehicles and it can cause crazy things to happen.

·
Registered
19,547 Posts
Start with checking or repalciing rear grounds . The move on to checking multifunction and light switches.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I cleaned the grounds, but will also clean up the battery cable connections. Also, the hazards perform normal, so it seems the bulb socket works fine for getting juice to the bulb. Multifunction switch is probably the next place to go. I assume there is something when I turn the lights on that makes the cruise think the brakes are on. Makes me wonder if there isn't something in the steering column that is causing both the turn signal and cruise issues.

·
Registered
19,547 Posts
You have to check all ground wires near lights for continuity, not just clean connections. Some are connected through harness too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well found two grounds in front of the battery and both had continuity. Really confused why I can get juice to the socket but bulb doesn’t work. Think there could be something wrong with the socket preventing the bulb from making contact?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update ****reverse, license, and third brake lights were all bulbs
Still fighting the blinker issue

·
Registered
19,547 Posts
Probably bad ground wires near the tail light assemblies, especially for the turn signal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A ground at the rear taillight would cause the front marker on one side to not work? Will certainly check it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So a few more bits of information. Hazards work normal. With cruise on, if I try the left blinker it kicks the cruise off. When I turn the blinker off, cruise engages again. Cruise acts the same when I turn the lights on and off. There has to be a point where the wires are hitting each other, right?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Could be the multifunction switch (signal switch) as was previously mentioned.

·
Registered
19,547 Posts
Maybe wires inside the steering column. Those heave shorted before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts