Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new flux 1's and studs in. Drove the truck to work yesterday and seems to run great. Got home and finished the Snow w/m install. Loaded up my son and went out for a tuning run. Probably did 8 wot runs trying to get the best tune with the TNT/Smarty.

After the last run coming back into town, heard the fan screaming and looked down at the temp gauge and it was at about 215-220. Didn't seem out of place because I had been pushing the truck. During the runs, my son was watching the rp gauge mounted where my cig lighter used to be, and I was concentrating on the egt and boost gauges on the pillar.

Pulled over and popped the hood and saw a small amount of steam/smoke coming from the back of the engine. Thought maybe I had popped the headgasket. So we jumped in and drove about 60 back into town and the temp gauge started falling down to about 205.

Pulled into the driveway and popped the hood. As I was walking back from the garage with the light, I see wet spots all under the truck. I go around to the side and the wheelwell, tailgate and underside is covered with antifreeze. I get the mirror and check the back of the block to see a big hole where the plug used to be.:CRY:

We never heard the plug blow. Never smelt anything or saw a cloud of steam as I have seen on in videos when one blows.

I'm not sure how far I drove with no antifreeze. We were about 4 miles north of town when we found the problem. And more than likely we did at least 1 wot run that way.
The temp gauge never got over 220 during our runs that I saw, but I guess you have to have antifreeze in the engine to get a good reading with the sensor.

I'm going to start it up after I get home from work today. At least I hope it starts. It ran fine all the way home last night. No strange noises.

I've spent part of the day at work today searching for the block off plate to repair the plug. I found the one from Enterprize Perf. that has a pressure relief to help keep it from happening again. I hope that is all I have to repair.

Wish me luck!!

Randy

·
Washington Chapter Pres.
2,021 Posts
Hey good luck man. You'll get her fixed up right.

·
Registered
110 Posts
i had the same tg happend to my truck after i installed my ddp's silverbullet headstuds and ats manifold.. i had them replace all my freeze out plugs with billet alluminum ones..

·
Registered
6 Posts
It's happened 4 times to me on my 2004.5
3 plugs out the rear (above the trans) and the last one was just behind the turbo. I've been told it is the water pump creating too much pressure, cummins has 2 different types, a pump with a ring to slow down the water and one without. I need to find out what one i have. I never had a problem until the dealer replaced the engine at 58000 miles.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Had this problem with the 04.5 motor we put in the race truck and also a customer rig here is what I bought to solve the problem so I never have to deal with it in My own Rig. Got it from Opie @ Intelligent engineering Bypasses the Thermo to relieve the excess pressure in the block

1 - 5 of 5 Posts