Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Blew boot at 40psi. Fixed. Runs weird

757 5
At half throttle its hitting 20psi and 1200* there seems to be no a$$ in it? And ideas?

Smarty: sw#5 tq:def , timing 2, rp 1
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
clear codes..... if you hit 40 PSI you're getting dangerously close to overboost codes. If you get an overboost code it'll defuel, and probably won't even throw a check engine light.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will the truck defuel all the time after that?

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
as long as the code is stored in memory it probably will (my 03 did for a long time and I was chasing my tail trying to figure out what the F I screwed up). It is a silent code meaning the check engine light won't be on but it will effect performance.

When you put the boot back on, did you thoroughly inspect for tears or breaks in the coupler?

Is your truck really smoking black or is it clean? That will tell us quite a bit.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive had the overboost code come on 3 times before all with MIL coming on. It said no codes stored. I cleared it anyways and it seem better.

I glanced at the boot and it seemed fine.

Its not like coal black but there is a decent haze come from the exhaust at WOT. At part throttle its grayish.

Can the egts be a little higher because of the 13cm housing?

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
12,391 Posts
they can be because it takes more fuel to get it spooled initially, and if you don't have that mount of fuel there your EGT's will get higher because you have more time before the turbo lights off. Longer it goes trying to spool it, the heat can build up in the manifold.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.