Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Rockin' the Hoodstack
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I blew 5th gear in my truck on my way home. Second one I have done it to. Mine is a '96. Last one was a boyfriends 98.5 24v. Im just wondering what exactly it is that goes wrong. Just curious. What makes 5th gear so weak in these trannys? I was just cruisin at 70mph down the hwy. Thanks guys....:thumbsup

Oh and Im getting a new tranny asap, dont wanna have to drive the hubbys truck any longer than I have to...lol

· Registered
526 Posts
Im not for sure but i think like a nut that holds the gear on falls off but im not for sure...i just remember reading about it....GOOD LUCK *****

· Registered
9 Posts
5th gear

you didn't blow it the nut just backed off you have to replace the nut with the one chrysler sells it will fix the problem i've done mine twice takes about 4 hrs and you'll have to replace the fluid with the stuff chrysler sells it takes 4 qts at $20. a qt don't use anything else as it will tear up the trans good luck

· SC Chapter President
938 Posts
Lugging your engine in 5th is a big cause of the nut back off. If you drop below 1800 RPM down shift to 4th. You can use the Amsoil stuff too, it's supposed to be pretty good as well. I think I'm gonna go with it when I change my tranny fluid.

· Rockin' the Hoodstack
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just cruisin along, huh? Yea right:lol3:
Hahahaha......youre funny!! :T:

And I dont lug my truck....thats a super big pet peeve of mine when people do that....:thumbsup

Getting the tranny totally rebuilt, thanks guys.....

· Rockin' the Hoodstack
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my new tranny in and all is good to go now. Thanks for the input guys. It was cheaper, easier, and smarter to get a new one than to just replace the nut or do a rebuild.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.