Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Now that my timing is about where it needs to be, I went and checked the holding power of the new clutch. It passed the tests. I did a couple of 3rd gear burnouts, and it would blaze all 4 tires for about 75 feet. It'll lay faint black marks getting on it in 3rd from a roll. I wish it would bust them loose from a roll in 3rd, but it doesn't spool quick enough for that. Makes me wonder what it's making at the wheels now?

·
Diesel Head
1,560 Posts
Or video! :S:

·
Registered
209 Posts
my truck did cool stuff like that till i snapped the main shaft.... :stirpot:

·
Registered
150 Posts
what other mods do you have? i am doing my timing real soon. what degree did you set it at?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hi all,

Now that my timing is about where it needs to be, I went and checked the holding power of the new clutch. It passed the tests. I did a couple of 3rd gear burnouts, and it would blaze all 4 tires for about 75 feet. It'll lay faint black marks getting on it in 3rd from a roll. I wish it would bust them loose from a roll in 3rd, but it doesn't spool quick enough for that. Makes me wonder what it's making at the wheels now?
Where did you end up bumping the timing to. I just installed the same injectors. Happy to know truck is performing like that. Kinda motivating me to finish my turbo install.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got it at just shy of 19 degrees. I set it for .240" plunger lift, and it ended up at about .238". However, that plunger lift would only produce 19 degrees on the 215 pump. The chart for plunger lift/timing is different for all but a couple of the p pumps installed on our trucks, so you'd just have to refer to the right list for your pump.

As a side note, at 19 degrees my truck sounds and acts just about exactly like it did set for 16 with the old injectors. By that I mean the diesel rattle and behavior when first started in the morning is about the same. The smoke is still less though, which is nice. I was a little surprised that the new injectors wanted so much timing, but it doesn't bother me.

*By the way, when I said it'll blaze all four tires, I meant all 4 rear tires. Mine is a '98 12 2wd dually, not a 4wd.

·
Registered
209 Posts
*By the way, when I said it'll blaze all four tires, I meant all 4 rear tires. Mine is a '98 12 2wd dually, not a 4wd.
Me too, I used to do donuts out on the street after a long hard night of drinking:badidea:.........which i dont recommend

1 - 7 of 7 Posts