Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

blacked out factory wheels...lets see em

1417 Views 10 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  NMMEGA
lets see you guys that blacked out you 3rd gen wheels
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
341 Posts
did u sand blast those then?? they look good i want to do that to mine but wasnt for sure what all i needed to do im goin all black on white truck should look good let me know thanks:peelout

· Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i thought about using duplicolor metalcast smoke to do my emblems and if it looks good do my wheels im just up in the air on going with 18" black rockstars or just painting mine and save the money...what you guys think????

· Registered
830 Posts
yep, blacked the tip on the exhaust also. thanks for all the compliments. this project has been done for about 2 months. i started by sanding all chrome pieces with 320 grit sand paper. then i cleaned and degreased. then i shot with duplicolor self etching primer. let that set for 30 minutes and then shot with krylon bbq and stove paint. all my material was bought at napa. the only adhesion problems i have had are on the rear bumper. the plastic top piece that sits on top of the bumper expands and contracts with heat and cold of the day and night. when this occurs it scratches the paint back down to chrome along the edge. it is very small, probably only 1/32" wide spots and only in a few places. it still bugs me and whenever i see it happening i just touch it up. probably have done it 4 times in 2 months. for the time it takes to do it, it's been well worth it for me. to me the red and black really set each other off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.