Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little black smoke from the exhaust when I start off. The lighter I push the gas pedal the less the smoke. The more I push it the more smoke. Its not like tuner smoke you see from these teenagers but it is noticeable. The truck runs good, no loss of power,etc. Whats your opinion on the cause and is there anything I can run to help it out or is it just a Cummins things. 163,000 miles on it. All stock except for exhaust. I have heard the Hot Shots works well.

·
Devil Dog Diesel
2,759 Posts
Welcome to the Diesel World my friend! All normal IMHO !

·
Premium Member
15,634 Posts
Stock engine you should have no black smoke. A trial of black smoke is almost always an injector over fueling. You might try a cleaning to see if they are just sticky, then, running some sort of additive package to keep things clean.

Reactions: Meech

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What kind of cleaning?

·
Registered
19 Posts
By "cleaning" do you mean something to pour in the tank that runs through the fuel system? Or taking it to a shop and having them actually take the injectors out and clean them?

Next idiot question: what's an additive package?

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
Hi bud, welcome to Cummins Forum.

You can download your factory service manual here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/81mtpw6h29nct9h/AADFUT79CVpu_LcpdZOLxp5ja?dl=0

It will be a great help as you own this truck.

To clean her out, dump a qt of cheap, nonsynthetic, $3/qt from Dollar General kind of cheap, Dexron or Dexmerc ATF (automatic trans fluid) in a full tank of fuel and run it through. Do this for three tanks and the inside of your fuel system will be clean as a whistle. This will clean injectors, pump, fuel lines, etc. You might also drop in a new fuel filter sometime soon. Baldwin PF7977 is the one that most folks seem to use. I have had good results from them.

Next, many folks run some additives in their fuel to help prevent crap buildup. Many will run a tail of 2SO (two stroke oil) and then some mix some ATF with it, too. The 2SO is for lubricity and the ATF is for cleaning. Personally, I have run a splash of ATF in 90% of my tanks for the last 98,000 miles. For me, it has worked great. I'm at 302K and still on stock injectors (thanks to ATF...that's another story)

Search "Steve05" on here. He has the most empirical data of about anyone on additives.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts