Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When going to accelerate (to the floor) I'll shoot out a decent sized black cloud of smoke.

If its normal that's fine, if not I'd like to address it.

Truck is NOT tuned.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the bully dog but it's not currently installed in the truck at least until I get a better fuel system set up

·
Premium Member
15,615 Posts
Depends on when oyu see it and how long it lasts.

A puff of black after driving aorund slow or at steady cruise is not unusual and should only happen once to clean the muffler out.

If you can repeat it on demand time after time and you have a grey have at WOT, an injector is probably on its way to done.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've only seen it twice when around town driving. And today getting onto te highway.

It's def black smoke. And it's straight piped

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
I have a buddy that has a completely stock 06 with straight pipe and CAI. If he drives easy on the highway/in town for a while and punches it then it will do a little puff of smoke. As long as it is just a puff of black, and no excess hazing at idle, I'd say it is completely normal.

Reactions: 24vpawr

·
Registered
47 Posts
:agree2: Mine does the same thing. when i get back from being deployed and the wife has been puttin around in it the whole time, i get on it and blow out all the soot. After that its good to go.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
if I touch the throttle a little too much too fast after driving slow.... it turns day into night behind me from not letting the turbo spool up. I need to let off the gas and hit it slowly otherwise black smoke will just keep pouring out of the exhaust.

when I do let the turbo spool up and I step on it and have the truck accelerate pretty damn hard (almost like youre racing someone)... it lets out a consistant black haze. not too thick, but you can def see it when im pinning it. should I be concerned.

stock turbo.. smarty tuner which is on 7 or 9 right now with advanced timing I think. and I lost the smarty so I cant even de tune it :(

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If your straight piped especially w/o a CAT, some black smoke is expected until the turbo spools up. Probably wouldnt hurt to check your air filter if you think there is a lil too much smoke.

Running with a tuner is the best way to make black smoke, also if your timing is advanced it will take a lil bit longer to spool your turbo up due to the timing of the combustion and exhaust valve opening up.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
hmm. I wish I knew that before. I would take the advanced timing off... turbo lag sucks!!!!!! and I seem to have it pretty bad sometimes.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I'm being a little overly concerned with the truck.

I dished out A LOT of cash for the truck and surely don't want to have any problems with it.

I don't get any massive haze at idle. A very tiny after a drive or running it hard.

I don't get any white smoke on cold start up.

No codes. I need to enjoy the truck more. Worry less

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
lets see a pic of the truck! specifically the road armor bumpers!! :)

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
nice lookin truck. dont think thats a road armor bumper though.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well...I guess I get dumb *** of the day award...

Just because the bully dog wasn't plugged in doesn't mean it wasnt installed.

I returned the truck back to STOCK. And bam...almost smokeless.

Sorry guys.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Well...I guess I get dumb *** of the day award...

Just because the bully dog wasn't plugged in doesn't mean it wasnt installed.

I returned the truck back to STOCK. And bam...almost smokeless.

Sorry guys.
What a moron!
Just kidding! Anyone who says theyve never done something like that is a liar.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.