Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find any info in the encyclopedia they give you in the glove box on biofuels.

Biofuels. Yes or no?
What does it do to fuel mileage?

I am going to start producing my own. I found a collapsable aircraft fuel tank I can use. It says it will hold 200 gallons. That ought to keep my happy for a while. . .if. . ..

·
Registered
211 Posts
Think the owners manual says B5 is ok for the stock 6.7, B20 for Government use with added filtration. Check around the boards, you will see people running B100 without issue. Hopefully others will comment. I want to run bio, but it's not available around here.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
make sure to minimize the water content. that is the biggest issue with Bio-fuel.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Most of the water is already cooked out of the oils when I get them. But you still ge some. There is quite a filter system involved in the final stages in this kit I bought.

I just have to get a couple of 440's and a 383 out of my garage so I can set it up. :rof

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
I wish i had that problem. LOL!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I went ahead and bought a goldenrod fuel/water separator. It was about 35 bucks from Tractor supply. Hopefully it will hold up to the bio. It's the version with the clear fuel bowl. By the way, NAPA wanted over 70 bucks for the exact same one.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've put almost 15,000 miles on mine with B100. All is well.

Grey

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've ran b100 for a little bit. There is a loss of MPG but it might worth it if you can produce it for cheap enough. Not a worry this time of year, but don't run it straight during the winter. I did and it got cold, and gelled and almost cost me my truck.

The dealer wanted to replace me entire fuel system for 26K, and my insurance was going to total my truck out with only 1850 miles on it. They voided my engine warranty. I took it to another dealer and they fixed it for $971. They also got my warranty back for me. They are the only dealer I go to now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I run B100 through mine. Probably about 5000 miles. No problems most people arent having. Occasional CEL, turbo mostly. Little decrease in MPG but, i make it for 1.04 a gallon.

And some dealerships will void your warranty for sneezing in your truck. But i've said it before and i'll say it again...Warranties are voided daily around the country due to "Bad fuel" that came out of the ground and has dead dinosaurs in it! Its happening more and more and will continue to increase as the ecomomy slows and dealerships and manufacturers bottom lines get worse and worse.

Most important thing is Bio has to be DRY, FULLY REACTED and i filter mine down to 2 microns before it hits the tank.

I'd venture to guess my quality is as good as a commercial producer. I spend more time making sure the quality is as good as i can get it. I wouldnt do half the steps if i had a 94 cummins.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Most of the water is already cooked out of the oils when I get them. But you still ge some. There is quite a filter system involved in the final stages in this kit I bought.

I just have to get a couple of 440's and a 383 out of my garage so I can set it up. :rof
You'll have water in your reacted bio from 2 sources even if the oil is dry. The reaction created SOME water and if you are going to run it through a common rail you HAVE to wash your biodiesel. Water washing is the most common and inexpensive way. BUT, then yu have to dry your fuel before use. :thumbsup

Oh, and a water separator filter WILL NOT filter out water in soltion. (Disolved water)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went ahead and bought a goldenrod fuel/water separator. It was about 35 bucks from Tractor supply. Hopefully it will hold up to the bio. It's the version with the clear fuel bowl. By the way, NAPA wanted over 70 bucks for the exact same one.
Apparently i have nothing better to do tonight.

I believe that goldenrod filter is only a 15 micron filter. Common rail diesels need filtration down much farther. The fuel filter on the truck is 7 micron i believe. And from what i understand not a very good quality filter. I use a goldenrod when i move my bio from reactor to my fueling station and then a good quality 2 micron filter COMPATIBLE WITH B100, on the fueling hose. Otherwise the filter media itself can get into your tank if it comes apart.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You'll have water in your reacted bio from 2 sources even if the oil is dry. The reaction created SOME water and if you are going to run it through a common rail you HAVE to wash your biodiesel. Water washing is the most common and inexpensive way. BUT, then yu have to dry your fuel before use. :thumbsup

Oh, and a water separator filter WILL NOT filter out water in soltion. (Disolved water)

Yep I know it. The process is pretty extensive with a water absorbtion system which acts as a dryer. It's pretty expensive, but I can get 300 Gallons before I service the refinery.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apparently i have nothing better to do tonight.

I believe that goldenrod filter is only a 15 micron filter. Common rail diesels need filtration down much farther. The fuel filter on the truck is 7 micron i believe. And from what i understand not a very good quality filter. I use a goldenrod when i move my bio from reactor to my fueling station and then a good quality 2 micron filter COMPATIBLE WITH B100, on the fueling hose. Otherwise the filter media itself can get into your tank if it comes apart.
Actually Goldenrod has several levels of filtration. The finer Micron is harder to get. But most good industrial hardware stores can get them for you. They are spin on's.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Actually Goldenrod has several levels of filtration. The finer Micron is harder to get. But most good industrial hardware stores can get them for you. They are spin on's.
All i know is the only one i could find that is both a filter/water separator is 15 micron. If memory serves i found down to 5 filter only.

I just bubble dry. CHEAP! But i live in a very dry climate.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, I returned the goldenrod filters, seeing to much negatives. I bought some filters online. One 10 micron, 2 micron, and a water separator. I know the separator won't filter out the dissolved water. What are you guys doing for the dissolved water?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, I returned the goldenrod filters, seeing to much negatives. I bought some filters online. One 10 micron, 2 micron, and a water separator. I know the separator won't filter out the dissolved water. What are you guys doing for the dissolved water?
Make sure at least your 2 micron is rated for B100 since i'm assuming your going to run it in a 6.7.

I bubble dry my fuel. It aint glamorous but i live in a dry climate and i run a small aqarium pump with a bubbler block in it with the lid off for a day or so and it dries well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was told by my dealer that there it going to be a service bulletin coming out soon to install a Frame mount 25 micron filter and change the stock filter from 7 micron to a 2 micron.

The commercially produce b100 that I bought was filtered to a 0.25 micron.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Difficulty of bio fuel?

Hey guys, I hope yall dont mind me jumping in here. I was reading yalls posts and just wondering, exactly how difficult and time consuming is the refining process for bio fuel?
I would LOVE to use bio fuel, but dont even know where to begin.
What kind of equipment is needed?
Where do you get the equipment from?
How much room is need for the equipment?
Where do you get the oils from?
How long does it take to refine?
What kind of quantities can be expected from a home refining system?
I drive about 2,500 miles a month, is it possible to make enough fuel to supply my truck for that many miles on a monthly basis?
I know I'm asking alot of questions, but I really dont know anything about bio fuels. I'm just tired of getting raped at the pump.
Any help would be great, and thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Im also interested!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Hey guys, I hope yall dont mind me jumping in here. I was reading yalls posts and just wondering, exactly how difficult and time consuming is the refining process for bio fuel?
I would LOVE to use bio fuel, but dont even know where to begin.
What kind of equipment is needed?
Where do you get the equipment from?
How much room is need for the equipment?
Where do you get the oils from?
How long does it take to refine?
What kind of quantities can be expected from a home refining system?
I drive about 2,500 miles a month, is it possible to make enough fuel to supply my truck for that many miles on a monthly basis?
I know I'm asking alot of questions, but I really dont know anything about bio fuels. I'm just tired of getting raped at the pump.
Any help would be great, and thanks in advance!!!
There are many processes out there for us do-it-yourselfers. The one I am making fuel with right now is probably the simpleest. But when I talked to them on the phone, they reccommended 4 filter/Water separaters. It takes about 30 minutes to make 5 Gal with this. Not sloppy at all. The first 15 I ran through a oil burner to see what was going to happen. I didn't have any water after temperature changes. I fed the burner from 5 Gal Pails.

Diesel Secret Energy - Alternative Biofuel Biodiesel

Is that a Lady I see in the Pic? You??? Our trucks are the same. Good taste in color!:thumbsup

1 - 20 of 32 Posts