Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do i have to do anything special to my truck or can i just pump it in the tank. they are starting to sell it around town for about a dolar less. what do you guys think.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Watch the fuel filter but for the most part you should be ok. I would not go over B20 on your first tank cause it is a great solvent and B100 will clog your fuel filter.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so dont put more than b20 which means 20% bio because it's a good solvent im lost and why not put b100 it will clog filter. so i go to the place and tell them i want a certain type. is that how that works.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
so dont put more than b20 which means 20% bio because it's a good solvent im lost and why not put b100 it will clog filter. so i go to the place and tell them i want a certain type. is that how that works.
Yeah B20 is 20% biodiesel. B100, 100% biodiesel, is a great solvent and what happens is that if you added B100 to your tank all the sediment and general crap at the bottom of the tank will be pulled down to the fuel filter and clog it. If you run B20 some of the sediment and crap will be moved but not as much as b100. After 2 or 3 tanks of B20 you can start going up in concentration. Usually the pumps are labeled what the B concentration is. If the biodiesel pump is b100 simple way to dilute it a bit is pump 5-7 gallons of b100 then fill the rest with regular dino-diesel

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would a fuel pressure gauge or 8 or so psi fuel pressure warning light after the fuel filter and then just carry a couple extra fuel filters with you and run the b100, from what ive heard of my friends that run it is you will go through 2-3 fuel filter in their first month of running it and then go back to normal intervals

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok sounds good so the vp44 wont be hurt at all.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats where my problem lies. i worry it wont be and i know nothing about it being good or bad. i friend of mine is going to use it first in his powerbroke then if he has good results i wil go and fill it up.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Biodiesel is suppose to be the best lubricant you can put in your tank. I have read this on other forums. B5 is the most I can find where I am at and is bout .15 a gal. cheaper then the other places.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
Thats where my problem lies. i worry it wont be and i know nothing about it being good or bad. i friend of mine is going to use it first in his powerbroke then if he has good results i wil go and fill it up.
Well are you buying from a dealer, a co-op or from a hippie who brews it in between smoking doobies?

Personally I only get it through a dealer. It is ASTM standard biodiesel.

·
Registered
689 Posts
is there a way to search on the internet for suppliers of bio? because i live outside of cincinnati and don't know of anywhere to find it

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I have been running bio for a couple years now.

The bio WONT plug your fuel filter if it has been properly washed. This removes the glycerine and water left over from the chemical reaction making the biodiesel.

Your fuel filter will probably get plugged, but it will be from petrodiesel deposits in your tank that the biodiesel will break down. Run a tank, and change your filter. Run for a while and if you feel a drop in power, change it again. If not change it again after, say 5 fillups. After that, the tank, and system will be cleaned out, and it should not need to be fooled with again.

Here in CA, b100 bio is not usually sold. Law requires a small percentage of petro (usually less than 5% and it's usually kerosene, and in winter here they blend 10% for clouding)

You will probably see a slight increase in power, and slightly smoother idle, which will stay, as the bio cleans out your injectors. But bio will spool up you turbo significantly slower as it has less energy. Your fuel efficiency will be about the same as bio has a better cetane rating, and burns SUBSTANTIALLY more efficiently in the cylinder, but less energy means less heat, so your turbo will lag noticeably. I see about a 1mpg drop in fuel efficiency with my bio. Still at about 18-19 under ideal circumstances though. (easy on the stupid pedal and on the freeway)

·
Registered
689 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts