Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
658 Posts
Guess that's a good reason to hang onto our pre-DPF trucks until they get this all figured out. :popcorn:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
A darn good info about what Bio can do to your engine oil.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i wonder if it has ANY effect on our pre DPF trucks at all? bc even a little to me is a VERY reason to ditch the amsoil with extended drain and hit the delo

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I would think the only why to know for sure is to do UOA's if you burn 5% or more Bio diesel. If I understood the web page it's only a concern with any engine like the 6.7L that has a late injection event to get fuel to the DPF to burn soot it collects. Its the last injection event for the DPF that allows fuel to get by the rings and in to the oil and not the other ones before it that burn all of the fuel.

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats what i got from it too. i will do another UOA in i guess 5K miles. i just did one at 11K miles on the oil and it was ok. i havent used biodiesel with that oil in the truck so well see what happens after i start using bio

·
Registered
72 Posts
It sounds like it saying change your engine oil more often when using BIO. I turned my post injection off with EFI Live. My brother has a 6.7. I wish someone would invent something similar to EFI for Dodges.

·
Registered
144 Posts
ok so I live in Superior WI- where Amsoils is and I stopped in and asked one of their techs- he said that if the bio is to astm standards you wont have any problems- if you are a home brewer- which I am- then your changing intervals are shorter-I have a friend that is on their oil testing program and also supplements with bio that I make-so we will have to wait and see the results from his next oil change-

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
ok so I live in Superior WI- where Amsoils is and I stopped in and asked one of their techs- he said that if the bio is to astm standards you wont have any problems- if you are a home brewer- which I am- then your changing intervals are shorter-I have a friend that is on their oil testing program and also supplements with bio that I make-so we will have to wait and see the results from his next oil change-

Not true, biodiesel density/viscosity is greater then regular no#2. If youur running higher blends then B20 then you have the possiblity of biodiesel slipping past the piston rings and diluting the oil. UOA is required, at least initally, when determining drain intervals on engines. I was running Mobil 1 then Schaffers 7000, but then my truck went in for head studs and I got some rotella crap.

I'll do UOA one I start running B100, so probalby in June. I'm still on a some percentage of diesel fuel cause I'm trying to get my filtration/dewatering CF up and running.

I'm not understanding how an addtive can prevent oil dilution...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts