Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can i safely run b80 in my truck and race with it? I go to the track almost every weekend and dont want to risk breaking anything with the bio. I met a guy that has been making it for a couple of years and runs it in all of his fleet vehicles. he told me he would sell it to me for $2.80 a gallon.

Can i run it with all my performance stuff? Is $2.80 a fair price for b80? can you still add fuel additives to bio, like XPD does it help?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yes additives are okay the biggest thing with bio diesel is the filtering capabilities of dodge common rail system sucks. A fass or airdog etc. secondary auxillary filtering unit with water seperator will help alot and make the bio capable of being used. A member on another forum in the quest for the ulitmate CR HP said he lost around 40hp with the use of b100 compared to straight good ole #2 diesel but for the cost difference he could live with it after all hes already over 1100 whats another 50hp really LOL LOL.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so if i put it a 2 micron filter and water seperator, im good to go? with b100 there was 40 HP loss, what about with b80? would it be less of a loss?

·
Registered
66 Posts
If you are making your own biodiesel, then filter it BEFORE it goes in the truck, then you don't have to worry about extra filtration. If you are buying then definately get some extra filtration for soap and possibly some free glycerine filtration. Yes, B80 power loss would be significantly less that B100. I find that B50 is nearly indistinguishable from #2 unless you are watching the EGT and boost gauge carefully. I feel adding #2 to biodiesel is necessary to add some crispness back to the throttle response when running biodiesel. As for additives, unless they add heat energy or improve cold flow you are wasting your money.

·
Registered
404 Posts
You can never filter enough imo even if you are the one making it and filter it going into the tank. I don't want to know what kind of sludge etc. is in my trucks tank thats why i recomended another set of filters plus the use of the pump will help him in his quest for power. B80 is actually going to give you a little more power then b100 since its only 80% bio and B100 is 100% bio.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
I think that a design optimized for biodiesel would see a lot less of a reduction in power, if not an increase in terms of ultimate power.

Biodiesel has that better cetane value, meaning that you can run less advance at high RPM's and can run larger injectors... Theoretically... Sure, you have to inject more of it in order to have the same potential energy content, but fuel delivery hasn't been an issue on the Cummins since 1993...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts