Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey has anyone tried biodiesel in their trucks! any bad effects? the reason i'm asking is because i can buy it for like 30 cents cheeper than normal diesel fuel. let me know what everyone knows! thanks:thumbsup

·
Registered
717 Posts
One thing that I have heard over and over is to keep extra fuel filters on hand because the bio cleans out garbage from the regular diesel fuel. They say it will clog a fuel filter very quick until it is through cleaning then it goes back to normal. Does this make any sense?

·
Banned
400 Posts
Only if the system's already neglected/dirty. Which most aren't. This myth was probably started by some yayhoo that got the bright idea to pull an old 1st out of the mud sitting in his pasture for 5 years and run bio in it. Any truck that has been regularly filled up and on the road with the fuel cap in place will have no problem with bio. Except maybe for some of the rubber parts, including the LP diaphragm. Don't want to go there...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have been involved in many aspects of bio-diesel for 3-4 yrs , have run any where from 0% - 95% , as for cleaning systems , diesel is dirty , thats why there are filters on the truck , gas stations , then you can get a bad batch of fuel anywhere & any kind [ bio or petro ] .
Then the rubber issue , most of the rubbers parts in most all trucks / cars , stopped about 94 , so finding replacements for any rubber parts that contact the fuel is nessesary , the higher the % the quicker the rubber softens & causes issues .
Also different systems [ 1st gens - rubber , 2nd gens no issues , VP pumps - help with more lube - thats a good thing , common rail - high pressure issues ] have more or less problems .

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
soo probably not a good idea to run it though my 89. as far as i know there are lots of rubber parts that the fuel touches. has anyone with a first gen been running it?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Try searching.... Theres already tons of info on here about that

·
Banned
400 Posts
...diesel is dirty , thats why there are filters on the truck
And that's also why the dirt ends up in the filter pretty quickly in a running truck. Honestly, if it was that bad, how long do you think the filters would last? The dirty fuel system problems arise in vehicles that have sat around unused and the gunk settles out and starts to accumulate and gum up in the tank. Not to mention algae, whatever. I had my tank out for the first time since it was manufactured 17 years ago and it looked pretty clean inside.
...there are lots of rubber parts...
Actually there's only five: four short pieces of hose connecting the tank and engine to to the lines on both ends and the diaphragm in the LP. The pump is all you really have to be concerned with. Relpacing the hose ends is pretty trivial.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I run b11 every tank

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
It can be run but becuase your truck was built prior to 94 you would have to change the rubber lines. I think it can be done relatively cheap, not sure though. Other than that grab a few fuel filters and your good to go.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I run 99.9% in my 95 from march till november. i was told that u shoiuld even consider changing the filter before using biodiesel. I just bought some last week at 3.75 a gallon.

·
Premium Member
2,550 Posts
I filled up with B-90 one time - truck smoked like heck! I would sit at a lite and have white smoke drifting across the intersection. (no, it wasn't cold) Took three fill ups with #2 to get it to quit smoking the white stuff. I even called the station where I got it and asked if anyone else had a problem with that load and they said no but that was the answer I expected.

Guess my old truck just didn't like it!:popcorn::lol3:

I' have been thinking of trying some B-20 and see if it does the same thing.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well the station that has it, the fuel is a 20 % mix! so its not like i'm gunna try running strate bio fuel. i just wanted to know how the trucks hold up on that stuff. i'm probably going to try it just to try it. but i am also wondering my truck gets driven only a couple times a week if it is lucky. but definetly once a week. ( fuel is too much).will this be a problem?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts