Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anybody no what bio diesel is and if it is good for the motor

·
Banned
1,162 Posts
does anybody no what bio diesel is and if it is good for the motor
bio diesel is a biologic fuel that can be used in a diesel or other compression ignition engines. it is fine as long as it has the proper BTU's to fire the engine correctly along with cleanlyness and debris filtering you should be fine.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Has Anybody Used It Before And I Just Have A Stock Truck With A Power Puck And Is It Really Cheaper And Adds Mpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has Anybody Used It Before And I Just Have A Stock Truck With A Power Puck And Is It Really Cheaper And Adds Mpg
I'm looking into Biodiesel, it's definitely cheaper, If you had a production setup going you'd probably be spending about $1.25 a gallon, using used cooking oil as your raw material. However there is the learning curve etc. Try googling "appleseed" and "biofuel", etc. there are some books on it. Actually there is a ton of stuff on the net.

You can run it through your CTD with no necessary modifications, unless you're in a cold climate, then you must keep it warm to prevent gelling.

Unless I can get a cost/mpg cheaper than gas I will have to get rid of my Diesel, (which I just bought). I have to look into biofuel.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im Confused I Dont Know Much About Diesels This Is My First One. I Live In Utah And I Seen It At A Gas Station And Was Thinking On Trying It But Dont Know If I Will Mess Somthing Up It Sounds Like A Big Pain In The Butt But If It Adds Mpg And You Dont Loose Power Then It Would Be Worth It

·
Registered
19 Posts
Im Confused I Dont Know Much About Diesels This Is My First One. I Live In Utah And I Seen It At A Gas Station And Was Thinking On Trying It But Dont Know If I Will Mess Somthing Up It Sounds Like A Big Pain In The Butt But If It Adds Mpg And You Dont Loose Power Then It Would Be Worth It
My first diesel also, I love it, especially if I can drive it with the lowest cost fuel. This biofuel is going to be really big somebody is going to be the Bill Gates of biofuel. I think if you went at it, you could make a carear out of biofuel in Utah.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If it is at a filling station it should be labeled as B20 or B100 ect.. B20 is 20% biodiesel and 80% Regular diesel. Cummins states that it only recommends B20. Biodiesel is great for your diesel. It keeps your fuel system clean and adds needed lubercation that is missing with the newer ultra-low sulfur fuels. I run B20 whenever I can find it, not any cheaper here though. Gpms are debatable.

·
Banned
393 Posts
It can gell easily, and you MUST add a additive to every tank of it because it contains some water, it can sweat in your tank, and create deposits in there over time...so ive heard. I ran some bio diesel, 1 time, and lost 1 mpg.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
I have ran b20 a coupla times and I did not notice any difference between it and regular diesel. If you do chose to run biodiesel start with a low blend and work your way up. Also keep an eye on the fuel filter since biodiesel is a VERY good solvent and will drag all the crap in your tank to the filter if you are not careful. If you plan on running biodiesel regularly then adding an extra fuel filter would not be a bad idea.:thumbsup

1 - 9 of 9 Posts