Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Here in Iowa I won't run it. Two reasons. 1) It actually cost about 15 to 20 cents more, and 2) it's terrible in the winter. Gels, Gels, Gels. That info is straight from my father-in-law and his brothers, who know nothing but big wheelin. It's all they all have ever done. Just my 2 pennies.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine Is Bone Stock Also At The Minimum Will Change My Intake And Or Filter Soon.i Can Get All Of The Wvo To Make My Own Biodiesel In Good Quality And It Hardly Ever Gets That Cold In Se La.would That Change Your Mind?something To Think About That 4.25 A Gal? Verses .70 A Gal?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What Is The Purpose Of Mixing It With #2 If YOU Know The Bio Is Super Clean.do You Need Some Thing In The #2 That You Can't Run With Out?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I work for the City of Austin and we have just switched to nothing but Bio-diesel. The city has mandated that the only diesel trucks purchased are Dodge Cummins. Cummins was the only manufacturer to guarantee their engines with the Bio Diesel running through them.

R

·
0 Posts
Here in Iowa I won't run it. Two reasons. 1) It actually cost about 15 to 20 cents more, and 2) it's terrible in the winter. Gels, Gels, Gels. That info is straight from my father-in-law and his brothers, who know nothing but big wheelin. It's all they all have ever done. Just my 2 pennies.
Yeah, if that were my situation, I'd run it. Don't know either if there is a difference in mpg between them. I do know in the wife's jeep with 4.7 gasser, it gets 3 mpg worse with ethenol (e-85). But I figured the other day at 2.53 a gallon on a 100 mile trip, e-85 saves about 2 bucks. Sorry, a little off topic.

Edit: Whoops I Quoted My Own Reply. One More Beer And It's Bed Time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Guys I Know At Work Swear They Are Getting Better Performance And More Power With The Bio 100% Hell I Watch The Guy Peel Out Every Day At Knock Off Time.smells Like French Fries.he Did'nt Mention The Mpg.i'll Have To Ask Monday.he Also Runs A Older Ford Diesel.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,059 Posts
E-85 on gassers will reduce mileage. Bio in Diesels doesnt work the same. You shouldnt notice much change at all. The biggest issue with running Bio is moisture. That is why dodge only recommends 5%. If you can keep the moisture content down then i would imagine you are ok. You will be better off though deleting the DPF to run pure BIO. IMHO.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have a 6.7 and have been running my own B100 in it for over 14,000 miles. I have had no problems but lost a few mpg. BUT, I will be impressed if you can make it for $.70/gal. The Methanol alone is $4.00-$5.00/gal.

If you have a secret, I would love to hear it.

My DPF is still on but I plan on it falling off soon, along with the egr.

YOUR MILAGE WILL DROP A LITTLE. But it should not effect the dpf if you work your truck. I run loaded most of the time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Me and a friend of mine found a recipe that didn't require "cookoff" to make bio and we tried a few batches. The cost was not bad @ .65 per gallon, but after we changed about 6 filters each, the price was about the same as diesel. The MPG was just a bit lower, and the power was as well. If I was going to make it again, I would do the "cookoff" type and add in a little stabilizer if I lived in colder climates. Just my 2 bits.:SMART:

·
Registered
287 Posts
I've been running my own B100 for about 10,000 miles with no problems.

Grey

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cost to process biodiesel?

What does it cost you today to process home biodiesel? Are reasonable home brew kits or equipment available? Is anybody blending their own B20?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts