Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 2007 5.9 and looking to go hippie and use b20 or straight veggie/ bio if it's financialy worth it, to add to regular ULSD. I was trying to do some internet searching and it seems like that option is a little more difficult to come by than I thought as far as buying it straight from a station. it looks to me that a few places that used to sell it in the Denver area are no longer in service. Does anyone have advice on where I can get b20 or get help on using straight vegetable oil...! It's just weird to me since there are so many hippies in Colorado that are worried about the environment yet there are so few places that I can do this... I just figured running on vegetables rather than natural oil would be a huge thing around here......

·
Registered
535 Posts
If you can find a steady supply of waste oil. You're good.
I looked into doing this a few years back. Iirc the main things to address were optimum filtration of the oil before hand and warmers to keep it thin.
My neighbor just dumps it straight into his tank with a small strainer. It's an old 80s Mercedes.

·
Registered
535 Posts
By the way, hippies avoid fumes unless they're from Ganja or incense. They've gone electric with rainbow stickers on the rear glass.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, hippies avoid fumes unless they're from Ganja or incense. They've gone electric with rainbow stickers on the rear glass.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha…….. True statement. I'm behind the times.
After more reading its probably best for me to just mix it a little. I don't do enough highway driving to spend the $ on a filtration and heating system.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I built a system a few years back that I make some home-brew with. It's nothing fancy and we run it in my wife's '02 TDI, my '92 Cummins and my '81 Rabbit without any modifications. First year we learned to not run it in the winter, no matter how diluted, it WILL gel. Actually we started doing a 50/50 mix with #2 in the warmer months anyway. I built the system because a guy that went to my church was running it in his '06. If you can find a good supply of WVO (gotta be the clear stuff) you can make it for $.60-$.70 a gallon. Huge savings for our situation. Lots of people will tell you how you'll ruin your engine blah, blah, blah but they're the ones that have never done it. There were a few learning curves but we love doing it.

Personally, I would rather run it in older stuff that won't cost a fortune to fix if something happened.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah the common rails arent as friendly with the waste oil, but if I can gather it, refine it, and store it to use in the warm months it would be pretty cool....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts