Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

bilstein shocks

2352 Views 15 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  mattingly
just ordered a set of bilstein shocks, on the website it says may have to modify factory bump stops. What is needed to be done? Thanks
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Just put the 5100's in last week no problems and it rides great.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool..i ordered the 5100,s i read i may need to modify bump stops, but couldnt find anything about it from searching. Thanks

· Registered
1,429 Posts
Were the 5100's a big improvement over stock? I have 103,000 miles on my truck with the stock shocks and I'm in need of some new shocks....bad lol

· Registered
80 Posts
Huge improvement over stock. i didn't have to mess with the bump stops, not sure? Took 1 hour to install.

· Registered
1,429 Posts

· Registered
1,964 Posts

· Registered
1,429 Posts
OH OK. That makes sense. Is there a difference between the yellow bilstein's and the zinc bilsteins. While googling them and looking on ebay I came across both versions. I think I wanna go with the zinc ones.

· Registered
1,964 Posts
The yellow ones are HD replacement shocks, and the silver 5100's are made for people running lifts, bigger tires, see some off roading, etc.

Most people go with the 5100's, and they are a definite upgrade from stock or aftermarket white body shocks.

· Registered
80 Posts
I think the parts numbers are 6647 and 6681 front and rear lift of 2" Get the zinc

· Premium Member
236 Posts
any one have part numbers for 6" lift. and steering stabilizer

· Registered
1,964 Posts
If you want to use a Bilstein shock for your steering stabilizer, you can use the Carli set up with a 7100 or 2 5100's in a dual set up. They list a SS shock on the Bilstein site, but it won't be available until later in the summer/fall.

· Premium Member
3,778 Posts
If you want to use a Bilstein shock for your steering stabilizer, you can use the Carli set up with a 7100 or 2 5100's in a dual set up. They list a SS shock on the Bilstein site, but it won't be available until later in the summer/fall.
Do you know if they have a dual mount for the 5100's that won't rub n my new Mag-Hytec diff cover?

· Registered
1,964 Posts
Do you know if they have a dual mount for the 5100's that won't rub n my new Mag-Hytec diff cover?
To run a dual 5100 set up, you'll need the Superlift dual SS bracket (other brands might work as well) and replace the cheap white body Superlift shocks with the 5100's. I have no clue if it'll clear the diff cover...... I know there are lots of clearance issues with that cover and steering stabilizers.

· Premium Member
3,778 Posts
That's what I've heard as well, but I also heard they had a new design that cleared dual SS. Since I jsut bought/ installed mine I was hoping it was the new design. :confused013:

· Registered
1,964 Posts
That's what I've heard as well, but I also heard they had a new design that cleared dual SS. Since I jsut bought/ installed mine I was hoping it was the new design. :confused013:
Might wanna give Don Thuren or the guys at Carli a call. They're the people who would know the most about what will clear.

The SS clearance issues keeps a lot of people from getting the front diff cover.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.