• Bill Input Is Fine With Your Power Level

Votes: 1 7.7%

Billet Output or Billet Intermediate?

1280 Views 7 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  Stovetop535
I need it decide if I need a billet output or a billet intermediate

Or neither?

Or both?

I have a billet input shaft.....and will not be sled pulling

I have heard that a billet intermediate is a good idea, since the trans will be out of the truck for the trans overhaul......and that replacing a broken output is somewhat easy and the trans can be left in the truck and will not really cause damage when/if it breaks.....

Just need some suggestions.......thanks!!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
I would say both, but that is because I would rather pay now then have it break later.

Honestly you will be just fine without either one. If you are dead set you want one I would go with the inter just because you can do the output without taking out the tranny. Even though I don't think you will break either one without a lock up switch.

· Registered
250 Posts
I would have to say the input is probably the most likely to break and then the output.

· Registered
1,448 Posts
It might be easier if you tell us what you do with your truck?

· Premium Member
3,778 Posts
I voted for the output shaft. Since you already have the input. Stephan from DTT says the OEM intermediate shaft is actually really stout.

· Premium Member
6,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It might be easier if you tell us what you do with your truck?
Just a daily driver, will not be sled pulling and will not be drag racing....just my street toy!

I will tow a 5,000+ pound deep-v Lake Michigan fishing boat a few times a month......no other towing

I just want the trans to hold up and not have to worry about it

I will be turning my Smarty SR all the way up to #9 after my trans build is done....

Here is what I have bought so far:
-BD FleX-Plate
-MH Double Deep Trans Pan
-Opie Billet Input Shaft
-Goerend Valve Body
-Goerend Triple Disk Torque Converter
-Diesel Site External Transmission Filter Kit
-Sonnax Billet 4 Ring Accumulator
-HD Band Anchor: "The Power Wedge"
-Billet Rear Band Servo w/ Pin
-Sonnax Dodge 16% Oversize Intermediate Super Servo,Servo Cover and Pin
-Sonnax Front Servo Piston Cover
-Billet 4.2 Apply Lever
-Billet HD Strut

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
If you are not racing or anything crazy you don't even need either. It is the input that is most likely to break.

· Registered
1,330 Posts
I had also heard that the stock intermediate was a pretty good piece. If you have the money, get both for piece of mind. If your just getting one I would probably go with the output.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.