Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will going with a 20 or 22 inch wheel/tire combo help orhurt mpg's on the highway? i know around town will suffer but im not too worried about that.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
well a LOT of that depends on what size tire you are going to be running actually it all has to do with tire size you could have 22' with a 31 in tire (would look stupid but could be done)

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i was thinking 22's with a 35 or 37 inch tire. depends on what is available

·
Registered
231 Posts
The majority of the time big tires will hurt mileage.

Big tires are heavier,usually have an aggressive tread (more rolling resistance),and are wider.

Tall skinny tires with a mild tread might increase your mileage,but I wouldn't count on it.

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
I lost some mileage when I put my toyos on. They're only 33's but their a pretty heavy tire. then again coulda been the buckstop and the 16.5 winch up front :w:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I had 35x12.5 BFGoodrich mud terrain tires on mine and my computer said i was averaging about 14.5-15 MPG overall. About 14 in the city and 16 on the freeway. I just put stock sized tires on and my mileage went to 20 on the freeway and 19 or so in the city. Plus they go through brakes quicker

·
Registered
300 Posts
I went with 325/50R22 and lost 3 mpg's all around :$:.

If I had to do it again I would go with a 305/50R20 make sure its a load D or E!

The factory Tire height is:

265/70R17 = 31.61" tall

The Other is :

305/50R22 = 32.01" tall

The closer you stay to factory height the better for mileage and pickup...

I felt alot more sluggish off the line with my 35's than with factory...

Learn from my example, DON'T DO IT!!!!:thumbsup:thumbsup

If you need comparison go here:U.S And Metric Tire Size Information Calculator

·
Registered
68 Posts
i was thinking about the alcoas 22.5 setup for the dually.. does anybody have experience with that. i know i have to jack the front since i don't have 4x4 to clear.. thanks in advance.. previous post was very helpful.. i wish i could throw some stock 20's on my ride but most folks have only 4 wheels not 6 and the ratings are different on the dually..thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
i was thinking about the alcoas 22.5 setup for the dually.. does anybody have experience with that. i know i have to jack the front since i don't have 4x4 to clear.. thanks in advance.. previous post was very helpful.. i wish i could throw some stock 20's on my ride but most folks have only 4 wheels not 6 and the ratings are different on the dually..thanks in advance
it will take a little more then only lifting the front..expect about 4" in the front and 2" in the back but other then that youll maintain good MPGs due to them being very skinny and a very hard rubber...they were meant for life on the road..also expect substantial:thumbsup tread life

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
you wont lose too much on highway as long as you dont get an aggressive tire. but your odometer will read less miles than you actually traveled so you need to compensate for that when you do your mileage calculations.

·
Registered
68 Posts
thanks for the input.. i was not aware that i needed a bigger lift.. i have to read the whole package info or call the guy.. found a good deal on the alcoas when i did my research.. i think the guy is out of texas from memory... we'll see.. i just always want to know what i am in for ahead of tear down.. thanks again

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
mine stock
overhead read 19-21
hand calculated 17-19
20x10 with 35x12.50
overhead 16-18
hand calculated 14.5
i still have the stockies and thinking about putting them back on for a while
love the look of the 35's but i dont like the mileage. truck still has plenty of power but loves the fuel

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
+1 side2000. On mine I am still getting 18-19. Some of the tire size is offset by the effectively taller gear ratio. Almost like getting taller gears when you get taller tires. And I'm not running pizza cutters. I thought I'd take a bigger penalty on the tires. But you gotta keep in mind the odometer will be off and making it look worse than it is.

PS I wonder how the auto plays into this?

·
Premium Member
6,236 Posts
i went from 35x12.50x20 toyos to 305/50/20 street tires an could notice going over a 100 extra miles per tank... that is about 3mpg incress

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
i went from 35x12.50x20 toyos to 305/50/20 street tires an could notice going over a 100 extra miles per tank... that is about 3mpg incress
i may have to look into this im almost ready to put the stocks back on. prolly within the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
850 Posts
been running 22.5's for awhile now, when i first got the truck over head said 18.1 the best ive ever seen, now with 22.5s best its ever said was 17.1, hand calculated today(keep in mind i do not know the exact distance i am traveling since my calibration isnt correct,) 12.8. not a happy camper,thinking of taking these off, when i bought them i thought it would go up since all i run is the turnpike,65mph + but i guess i was wrong,unless something isnt working properly on my truck, or its just my heavy foot lol keep your eyes open rims n tires might be for sale, unless somehow magic really does work and i start getting beeter miliage.

·
PA Diesel Fuel Mafia-Don
1,640 Posts
Hey guys check this site out to find out how much your odometer is off with different tires on your truck. You will need to know your stock tire size.

Tire size calculator

1 - 17 of 17 Posts