Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a IIsb 66 and was wanting to know a good turbo for a big turbo on a twin set up maybe s400? but i have no specifics any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
333 Posts
um.....what? I guess an s480 or a gt47-82/88 would work well under a 66mm inducer turbo. just keep the vp44 and see what ya can do with it. I'd get an external wastegate on that 66 over a 82mm turbo with a decent methanol injection system with a decent amount of lift added to those 240hp injectors to get them in the 320hp range. should be good for 750-800whp with all things considered and a decent cam. if ya want the same range with just fuel, you'll need a 71mm over a 92+mm with as many upgrades to help spool-up (spool-aid, spool-valve, adjustable cam gear)

·
vvv SOME PEOPLE'S KIDS vvv
11,153 Posts
Can't do spool aid on a VP truck. Injector pump is in the way so he'd be better off with a cam. Your gonna have a slow spooling setup with a 66/74/14 as your secondary on a VP44 truck. You'd be better off selling the 66 and going smaller like a 62/65/14 over an S475 or S480. You'd like driving it better and it would clean up big sticks way better than a 66/480. That is if your daily driving the truck and using it to tow when you need to. If your racing then go with the 66/480 and buy a big azz nitrous setup lol

·
Registered
333 Posts
get a spool-valve and you could spool an ht3b as a single without a problem on a vp truck. I dont know why nobody is doing it. and you could at least run a spool-aid to #6

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Can't do spool aid on a VP truck. Injector pump is in the way so he'd be better off with a cam. Your gonna have a slow spooling setup with a 66/74/14 as your secondary on a VP44 truck. You'd be better off selling the 66 and going smaller like a 62/65/14 over an S475 or S480. You'd like driving it better and it would clean up big sticks way better than a 66/480. That is if your daily driving the truck and using it to tow when you need to. If your racing then go with the 66/480 and buy a big azz nitrous setup lol
This...........

·
Registered
468 Posts
ive gotta agree a 66 is a big turbo for a secondary on a vp truck. I could imagine wanting more than a 64/71 and that would be big. I would really like to do a 63/68 over an s480. it would be a pricey setup but i think it would run really well with more than enough air for a vp to ever think about.

·
11,153 Posts
The spool valve is a solenoid valve that goes between the manifold flange and exhaust housing flange. It closes half the port on a T4 flange to increase heat and exhaust gases to increase spool up on a bigger turbo. I read about it and saw it somewhere on a diesel website. Pretty cool but you still wouldn't wanna run an HT3B as a single...

·
Premium Member
8,036 Posts
anyone notice the OP has VP delete & laser cuts in his sig? 480/1.32 will work just fine.

This should prolly get moved to 24 Ppump section to be less confusing.

·
11,153 Posts
Well yea it says in progress.. If he's anything like me and my progress on my 04.5 lol he's still got the VP44 on his truck and will for a while LOL!!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Im running a 66/74/14 over an s476 on my VP truck with 6x16s and it smokes but as of right now im still DD and towing 5k with it and I love it... I am also running a Diesel Pro cam... Made 653/1412... I am working on a ppump though...

·
Registered
323 Posts
You could always go with a 66 from CumminsPerformanceParts. Jamie just changed to that 66 from a super b special and it spools faster than the super b.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Could run a S480 or S488 under the S366, but its going to be a slug to spool. Once spooled, you'll have tons of air to make power with. If you're daily driving this, you might want to downsize the secondary turbo (the turbo on the exhaust manifold). The garrett GT-3788R works awesome, spools fast, lots of turbine housing room for making power. I ran a set for awhile, was very nice set-up and had nice street manors.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The GT3788R works well with a BTH-3B as well. I would just work the internal wastegate flapper for more exhaust volume so you don't choke-up the turbine side at higher power levels. A 50mm external gate is a decent size.

Handshaker, What rpm's is the S366 starting to spool at now?

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Seen 38mm cause high egt's, when a 50mm will drop egt's when openning. If you have enough fuel you can full light both turbos, and if you run an incab boost pressure device, you can tune-in the combo that works. I rather have to much gate than not enough. Large gates can be tuned in with springs and different pressure settings. A 5k screamer P7100 truck, requires lots of air and will start to build-up egt's once the secondary turbo starts to choke-up.

We done tests running both sizes.

The gate is a device used to transfer the exhaust flow from the secondary to the primary. You're not lossing anything by going larger, its all about tuning.

·
Premium Member
8,036 Posts
I doubt the OP is building a 5k screamer, and the bullet is internally gated and ported already. So IMO the 50 was excessive for him.

Mike- how big is the big in your sig?

·
11,153 Posts
The GT3788R works well with a BTH-3B as well. I would just work the internal wastegate flapper for more exhaust volume so you don't choke-up the turbine side at higher power levels. A 50mm external gate is a decent size.

Handshaker, What rpm's is the S366 starting to spool at now?
I haven't gotten my turbo from Chris @ ED yet. It's prolly gonna spool fairly quick for an S466 according to Chris. I dont wanna rush him but I'd like to get all the stuff thrown on the silver truck. It should flow a little more than an S368 which is good for the fuel I got for her lol.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I doubt the OP is building a 5k screamer, and the bullet is internally gated and ported already. So IMO the 50 was excessive for him.

Mike- how big is the big in your sig?
I did run a S480 for abit. I daily drive my truck. I went to a GT4202, saving up for a GTX4508. I still run a VP. I ran a 50mm gate. I can spool fast running the GT3788R (worked internal gate, ported housing). Never ran a S366/71 but rode in lots of trucks that have. They are laggy. Probably work well on a 6.7L

A 12V buddy of mine street drives a HX-35/3B, with SDX 140 sticks, weston DV's and cranked up pump. Tried both the 38mm and the 50mm. You'll be supprised how well the old school system works, for almost no money.

My stuff changes to often.:thumbsup: How many cams have you run? The colt stage#3, will really wake up the mid-top end power range.

Building a 12V, doing that instead of 24V pump conversion.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts