Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running the big tire tune and not gain much from the box tune.

Box tune was level 3 street no att
Nc tune was level 3 street no att

Noticed the boost peaked 5-6 pounds lower and egt were hundred or so cooler but mileage was within .2 of h&s tune. Average was over three tanks with nc and 15 with box tune.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Anyone running the big tire tune and not gain much from the box tune.

Box tune was level 3 street no att
Nc tune was level 3 street no att

Noticed the boost peaked 5-6 pounds lower and egt were hundred or so cooler but mileage was within .2 of h&s tune. Average was over three tanks with nc and 15 with box tune.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Shields,

Why don't you email me your details. Name, date of purchase, settings your running, did you get the emailed version or SD card mail out? I'd like to know what base files your running. I'm sure we can troubleshoot your issue and get your numbers up. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
which version of the box tune are you using?

since the H&S update, i dont see much difference in mileage - 6.8.42 April 11, 2013 – Street tuner firmware updated for internal MCC checks (1031), Calibration adjustments for “exhaust service required” messages, Injection timing adjustments for improved efficiency, (OD 68.6)

the power from the H&S box tune is much stronger in the higher rpm, and it smokes more on the street setting (probably performance too, but i dont use that level).

the two NC tunes i have tested the most are the big tire tune on timing 1,2, and 3..........and the NC9 tune on timing 1 and 2. the power feels good in the mid range on both, but i dont get no 19+ mpg. i have seen the best mileage on NC9 on timing 1-2. i dont see much difference in mpg between the two timing levels on NC9.

when i switch back to the box tune (version .42 or later will have the same engine tuning/timing) i get about the same mileage as NC9. i live in an area with alot of rolling hills. i rarely see long stretches of flat road. that being said, i live 20 miles from where i work, 40 mile round trip, speed limit 65, all highway with two stop signs along the way. i have tested the tunes numerous times on this same route. i have gotten as high as 19 (on the dash) somehow a couple times. this is filling up, setting the cruise at 65, driving xxx miles, no stops, just a steady speed. after hand calculating it, its usually about 1 mpg less than the dash shows. but most of the time it is around 16-17 hand calculated real world mpg back and forth to work (letting it idle a bit before each drive, stopping at the c-store for munchies at work, etc....)

towing a 10k pound 5th wheel camper im seeing 9-10 with the NC9 and box tune

stock i was getting 13 on my commute to work and 7-8 towing the 5th wheel

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yes been running .42 since it came out. I normally only hand calculate over an entire tank.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Yes it's true that some trucks (3 total so far out of hundreds) do not respond well to advancing the timing above the box tune. Shorter road trips mixed with idle times will not show the best results either. Driving a 8000 pound truck over 70 mph and/or towing over 65 mph will not provide the highest level of mpg increases. These are the facts and the negative effects of wind drag should not be over looked.

The box tune is only as good as its weakest link and it was built to cover the masses and not over extend its weakest link. I have worked with Bocephus with numerous emails back and forth trying to get his numbers up and get him over his 20 mpg goal on a truck that is leveled, with 35 inch tires. As you can see from his multiple posts throughout the forum, I have not been successful. Once again, a small number of my customers have trucks that don't see a large gain in mpg's with advanced timing.

As a reminder, I have over 800 people running my original NC tune and another 250-300 people running my newer tunes sold on this forum. That's over 1000 customers running my NC Tunes and a handful that wish their results were better. I'm pretty excited about those results and i'm excited that i was able to help over 1000 people enjoy their trucks by increasing their efficiency. Most of these customers received my original tune for free and the recent group of customers have received my newer tunes at a reasonable cost. I believe I have used all my God given resources wisely and these resources have been a blessing to hundreds and a blessing to myself. The Lord is faithful and has proven to do great things through an average person such as myself. I'm sorry I wasn't able to help all of you reach your goals, but I do believe I gave it my best efforts. If you do not see an increase with my modifications then obviously the box tune will meet your needs and serve you well. :thumbsup:

Best regards.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
im not knockin ya NC....im just following up on his questions with my own experience.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
574 Posts
Hey guys
As the guy who originally tested the big tire tune in its development, let me say a few words.
First, as far as evic numbers, I saw the highest of 22mpg with this tune at 55mph on flat ground. Add hills and speed, the number drops. I done one hand calculation with a full tank running this tune on a long trip on the interstate. With those speeds my calculations showed just a little over 17mpg. That shows how speed effects the results. I pulled an 8k pound low profile trailer at 55mph on flat ground and my evic showed 15mpg for my highest reading towing. I can assure that I increased my speed towing my mpgs would be in the 10-12 mpg range. Having spit out these numbers, all I can say I'm very happy! Keep in mind my truck is leveled with 35 inch mud tires.
The thing to remember here is whether our tunes are an improvement over the box tunes. As a faithful Christian believer, I'm not going to lie when I say our tunes have and can be an improvement over the box timing. My engine's efficiency had increased with the big tire tune. Mileage, Egts, and low end torque have all improved over the box tuning for me.
I wish could guarantee success for everyone. Unfortunately we can't. But, we will try!:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
As a reminder, I have over 800 people running my original NC tune and another 250-300 people running my newer tunes sold on this forum. That's over 1000 customers running my NC Tunes and a handful that wish their results were better. I'm pretty excited about those results and i'm excited that i was able to help over 1000 people enjoy their trucks by increasing their efficiency. Most of these customers received my original tune for free and the recent group of customers have received my newer tunes at a reasonable cost. .
What really?

1000 people. Am I missing something here?

Sent from stupid AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
What really?

1000 people. Am I missing something here?

Sent from stupid AutoGuide.com App
Yep your missing something. I tracked all the people I mailed the original NC tune out to plus 3 other members were helping me with hosting the files. We added up all the people who I emailed plus the download hits off the server and came up with over 800 people. Once I started making multiple tunes I released another 250-300 tunes, so that puts you over 1000.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts