Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have quite a dilemma here

those 12 pt 9/16" hub bolts are so rotted that the 12 grooves for the socket just flake off with a touch of my fingers, suggestions on how to remove them? lol

to put the cherry on top the whole front end is original with 10+ years in the rust belt and 120k miles so even if those bolts were in half way decent shape it would be hard to break loose

been thinking about welding a nut to the bolts but only have access to a 110v mig which I dont think will put enough heat into it to hold the nut while im reefing on those bolt with a breaker bar or impact

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
You could try getting a six sided impact socket a size or 2 smaller then the bolt heads and hammer it onto the bolt.Also it's a good idea to give those bolts a few sharp belts of a hammer to help break them loose.

Reactions: welderguy

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks irish, with the rotor off I am planning to use a torch on the hub where the threaded portion of those bolts stick out and heat that and then hopefully it will help break loose

this really sucks lol

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I feel you pain man, I hate working with rusted bolts especially the ones that an angle grinder can't be used on.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Thats crazy we are in michigan and I have never had a problem with those bolts. Try a 6 point impact socket and beat it on, the impact socket wont crack/bulge like a chrome.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im in upstate ny, this truck was a plow truck its whole life before I got it, gotta love salt, going to look for a impact socket set in metric now

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've pounded 13mm 12pt impact sockets over them before, make sure you get the hub good and cherry, then soak in pb blaster or acf-50, to cool it, do that a couple times per bolt and they usually will walk right out as cooling them with the penetrant draws it right into the threads.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the tip, haven't gotten around to this yet, just got the track bar in tonight now have steering wheel off center lol

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
just hope your hub isn't rusted on...my bolts were fine but my hub wouldn't budge for anything...I had to torch off the lower balljoint to pull the spindle with the hub still attached, then it took 20 tons on a press to finally pop that hub free from the spindle...its scary getting that much pressure on a part in the press....you're just waiting for something to explode and sent shrapnel..:eek:hno::bolt:

·
Mr. Vehicle Destroyer
11,903 Posts
if you're replacing the hub bearings while you're in there, I'd just cut a slot in the ear of the bearing to relieve all the clamp load on the bolt, soak it down with some penetrating oil then tap on what ever socket you can, it should turn pretty readily.

·
Registered
13,895 Posts
just hope your hub isn't rusted on...my bolts were fine but my hub wouldn't budge for anything...I had to torch off the lower balljoint to pull the spindle with the hub still attached, then it took 20 tons on a press to finally pop that hub free from the spindle...its scary getting that much pressure on a part in the press....you're just waiting for something to explode and sent shrapnel..:eek:hno::bolt:

the second to last truck i did was that way! ended up using a rose bud and a 50 ton press to get the fricken things apart!:shock: exploding ball joints are fun too! haha!

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
don't remind me...I gotta replace the balljoints again on the truck tomorrow... hopefully the hubs come off easy this time:pray:

·
Mopar1973Man.Com
26,259 Posts
the second to last truck i did was that way! ended up using a rose bud and a 50 ton press to get the fricken things apart!:shock: exploding ball joints are fun too! haha!
Don't ask how I know...:shock:

Buddy took the full impact of the ball stud in his thigh when mine exploded. (OUCH!) If you can avoid heating a ball joint I would.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Exploding ball joint is like a cannon going off, I know cause my brother was cleaning up his workshop and threw one into the fire.I can say with all honesty that we weren't expecting what happened next........ boooooooommmmmm.haha

·
Registered
13,895 Posts
Don't ask how I know...:shock:

Buddy took the full impact of the ball stud in his thigh when mine exploded. (OUCH!) If you can avoid heating a ball joint I would.

My dad got hit in the hand after it bounced off the floor when I changed my ball joints. The first truck we had one explode on, bounced off the cement and hit the ceiling in our barn. The ceilings are 14ft. Needless to say if I have to use heat on them in any way I drill a hole to allow the gasses to escape.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jeez 20 ton press to get the stupid hub off the knuckle this will be fun, powersteering trick wont work to press that one off lol

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
jeez 20 ton press to get the stupid hub off the knuckle this will be fun, powersteering trick wont work to press that one off lol
LOTS of PB Blaster, WD-40 and a lot of time!!!

I dislike the rain in the NW, but we get surface rust not salt corrosion!!

The bearings and Ball Joints on these Dana 60 front axles are a MAJOR PITA!! Took me a day for each side! I tend to be a bit more laid back, I give the PB Blaster time to work and keep adding more.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
starting to miss my superduties now lol, could do ball joints on both sides in 4 hours

1 - 18 of 18 Posts