Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

big power questions...

625 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  drunk on diesel
First off, Pardon my ignorance I am new to diesels...

So I now have added Twins to my truck. While the twins I chose are heavy hitting twins I now am curious what things I should look out for so I don't POP my motor. Besides the obvious oil changes, high EGT's and over boosting what other ways can I create damage to my motor? Meaning is there any other guage to watch or area of weakness to look at?

Thanks in advance
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
14,163 Posts
these engines are very strong... you have to try to kill a 12v or a 2nd gen 24v... but it's easy to kill a common rail if you're not vigilant...

the main thing I can tell you is to pay attention to how it runs and to keep an eye out for anything abnormal! if you get hard starting or missing or notice some white smoke out the tailpipe where there wasn't any before, check the injectors! that's what will kill your engine...

doesn't matter if you're making 300hp or 700hp... the engine will take the power, but if you've got a hung injector, you'll destroy the engine, and it can happen if the truck is bone stock or highly modified!

drive it, enjoy the heck out of it, but pay attention to it, and it'll treat you right ;)

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
these engines are very strong... you have to try to kill a 12v or a 2nd gen 24v... but it's easy to kill a common rail if you're not vigilant...

the main thing I can tell you is to pay attention to how it runs and to keep an eye out for anything abnormal! if you get hard starting or missing or notice some white smoke out the tailpipe where there wasn't any before, check the injectors! that's what will kill your engine...

doesn't matter if you're making 300hp or 700hp... the engine will take the power, but if you've got a hung injector, you'll destroy the engine, and it can happen if the truck is bone stock or highly modified!

drive it, enjoy the heck out of it, but pay attention to it, and it'll Whtreat you right ;)
thanks! What does knock sound like on these trucks? My truck has very like ticks under part throttle that wasn't present on my last cummins... On gassers knocks sounded like marbles in a can... These trucks are so noisey already it's hard to hear for me... I should pay more attention to the feel? Linear lower etc? Thanks again!

· Registered
1,024 Posts
what size twins have you put on your truck? And with your smarty are you running higher pressure, timing?

· Registered
1,834 Posts
these things are noisy, it can be hard to tell... the main thing is you know your truck... if you notice a big change, there's a problem! if it starts missing or white smoking on start up, it's a problem
i've heard this too but where i live ill go out in the morning and on my gauge it says 32* for engine temp. Ill turn it over right away but it blows some white smoke for a few seconds then stops

· Registered
1,834 Posts
also do you have head studs:confused013: i mean im assuming you do but i didnt see them in your sig but there a good thing to have:hehe:

· Dont Upset The Hulk....
8,833 Posts
these things are noisy, it can be hard to tell... the main thing is you know your truck... if you notice a big change, there's a problem! if it starts missing or white smoking on start up, it's a problem
Not to hijack this thread, (I have a dumb question though). What does white smoke on start up mean? I was under the impression that with larger injectors or lower compression, that you might have the "white smoke on start up" as a bi-product of either (when its colder out).... :confused013:

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what size twins have you put on your truck? And with your smarty are you running higher pressure, timing?
I only have the ats 4000 plus stock...I am running smarty on #9 with #1 rail pressure and #2 torque management...

· Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also do you have head studs:confused013: i mean im assuming you do but i didnt see them in your sig but there a good thing to have:hehe:
No headstuds yet as the ats 4k only spins to 46psi or so...Heads studs are next though

· Registered
10 Posts
When I lost an injector in my old truck it went like this... Guy in a minivan pulls next to me and rolls down the window saying "you are loosing oil". This was at highway speed and I immidiately pulled over and in that few seconds the dummy light came on that said check engine. I believe the oil pressure gauge dropped way down also but it is hard to remember. I have read that the factory oil pressure gauge is run by the ecm and is not very sensitive or accurate which I can believe because it almost never moves. At some point I would like to install a real oil pressure gauge and again from what I've read you can then see smaller variations here and there and a major drop may indicate an injector dilluting the oil with diesel. In previous vehicles with oil pressure gauges I would see the gauge move some with different throttle positions but not in this one.

· Registered
14,163 Posts
if you lose an injector body like that, it's far less likely to hurt the engine than if you hang a pintle/seat and the fuel leaks into the cylinder... with a common rail, you have a constant supply of high pressure diesel and it will dribble fuel through all four cycles, and that unburnt fuel on the exhaust stroke is what you see as white smoke. it will melt/swell a piston in very short order.

a little white smoke on cold start is normal... my point is, take note of what's normal and when you notice something abnormal, don't just write it off as "ahh, it's a diesel, it'll be fine"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.