Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so I drop my truck off for a routine valve adjustment yesterday. 240408 kms. Clearly needed it, it sounded like a marble bouncing around inside the valve cover.

I can't remember who it was on here that recommended those guys, but you better give your head a shake. I never had any oil leaks of any kind in 2 YEARS, ever, period. Not as much as a driplet, NOTHING. Religious oil changes every 7000 km, OE filter, amsoil or mobil 1 and nothing else. This morning I woke up to a puddle of oil coming from what looks like the rear main seal. had to eventually add over 2 litres just to make it through my day. Coincidence? if we weren't in a bad economic downturn, perhaps. MY OPINION is quite the opposite. I'm a sadistic, paranoid, vengeful ******* and i'm gonna go out of my way to share my experience with everybody I know who owns a diesel. There's no slander or defamation in telling the truth, and the truth I will tell. Even though I was advised of very minor sweat on the rear main, you don't go from not a driplet to losing 2 litres overnight just like that. No way.

Something smells here.

Btw trucks sounds a whole lot better. Great job with the valves. Too bad i'm never coming back.

Vince

·
Fill Diesel Only
1,033 Posts
not sure how you figure they screwed up your rear seal if they were adjusting valves. I would have to guess that they did not fix the gasket on the valve cover properly. Rember that oil leaking from valve cover goes down and can look like its coming from the rear seal. I would say take it back and have them fix the gasket.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I agree. I have done the exact same thing when I put in the head studs. The gasket over the back behind number six ,sometimes gets moved when reinstalling. It pours oil right out the top where the cover meets the head and right down the back of the motor.

·
Banned
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thought about that as well. can't take it back there tho, because the second they admit they're on the hook, something else will mysteriously go wrong with my truck... man, drug dealers are more honest than some automotive shops. Couldn't they purposely put the valve cover on wrong, so when I bring it back they say, "yup, looks like you're rear main's gone, coincidence, just like we advised, it was going, and it just happened to go. sorry". I mean, not to say that's what they did, but we all know that some shops do operate this way. I get hosed EVERYWHERE if i'm not a complete 100% a s s hole.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Why don't you pull the valve cover & make sure the gasket is OK & properly position and/or just put in a new valve cover gasket.

It really sounds to me like that is the issue. Even if the main seal started leaking, I really doubt that it would go from nothing to a gusher.

If you were a bit closer, I'd do it for you... but you are what 12 hours or so away?

btw, if you are putting in good like you first mentioned... don't be so quick to change it. - maybe change your OE filter then, but your oil should be good for more.

·
Banned
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'd love to... but i'm the kind of guy who'll be so lucky to break a wheel stud during a routine tire rotation... stuff like that... I can turn simple tasks into disasters... I'd rather wait and have a friend look at it.... Good idea tho. BTW, I had to top it up with rotella synthetic 0w40, couldn't find any amsoil 15w40 near where I was. Is this ok?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Yeah it's fine.

Man you sound like the world is out to get you. If a shop wants your repeat business they will usually fix something so simple as a leaky valve cover gasket. Clean it off real goos with some brake cleaner, then start it up. If it is the valve cover gasket is leaking it will show up fast. Then return to the shop and shoe them what you found.

·
Banned
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do think the world is out to get me sometimes, based on past experience. Heavy snowfall warning for Banff tomorrow, got me motivated. Got the cover off, and sure enough, the back 1/3 of the seal wasn't seated in the groove. Fixed it up, took it to the car wash, no leaks. Now I feel stupid. Thanks for all the advice.

:S:

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
didnt i say not to go there? lolsorry for yur luck man...i'd never take anyhing there again ..not evan my lawn mower,:hehe:im home next weekend if you need a hand? i have tq wrenches ect..so if yur in no hurry i'll save ya some bucks:thumbsup:ffffrrreeeeeeee

·
Banned
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Always would rather throw some bucks at an individual rather than a bigger company! Thanks Dave, and hopefully I can make it to a meet sometime soon!

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
Always would rather throw some bucks at an individual rather than a bigger company! Thanks Dave, and hopefully I can make it to a meet sometime soon!
ya wwelll sometimes the big companys dont have a clue..lol but thats why you have friends ,,to help you out when in need,maybe we should go for coffee anyways on sat or sun if ya have the truck fixed or not,my trucks goin over to my mechanics house friday night to sit till the morning then he's doing my valve job aswell,and i no it will be perfect..cause he's the mechanic at my dealer..doin a side job its awsome.i should start pimpin him out around calgary.. could make some good bucks...50 bucks an hour is better then dealer rate for sure ,,,,,,,for a guy who actually no's his cummins not a wannabe:thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
I'd reccomend next time you take it in to Kevin at DPS, those guys are awesome, super friendly, very informative, and haven't had any complaints about them yet,

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
:ditto::ditto::ditto:
I'd reccomend next time you take it in to Kevin at DPS, those guys are awesome, super friendly, very informative, and haven't had any complaints about them yet,
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Banned
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I left BD a few nasty messages on Saturday, before I figured out it was minor... I felt bad, so I typed up a letter saying never mind those messages I left, drove down there Sunday night and taped it to the door. Since it was clearly poor workmanship, woulda been nice to at least get a phone call, maybe they coulda offered me an oil change or something, since I lost almost 4 litres of Amsoil... nope. Nothing. No phone call, no follow up, nothing. Now i'm convinced they purposely tried to hose me hoping I wouldn't catch it, then they'd have got me for 7 hrs. for the rear main, only to fix the real problem in less than 20 mins... How do these people sleep at night?

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
With a gun under their pillow obviously ;) hahaha.

2,756 Posts
I've had very good experiences with Richard Thomas & Big Dog Performance.

They carry the excellent Glacier Diesel Performance (Spokane) product line which I have on my truck.
Richard is knowledgeable and his prices were competitive.

I recommend to check out the Big Dog Perfomance web-site to follow their Baja 1000 experience. Very cool.

Big Dog Trux

...Joe

·
Banned
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
richard is away this week , was at his shop today
Haha he's away... maybe that's why I never got a follow up... man, I feel more and more stupid.

But not really. I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Next time just do the valve lashing yourself. You put 0.010 on the intake and 0.020 on the exhaust, on a cold engine. I just put a socket wrench on the alternator and turn the engine over that way. I go from front to back. You could also follow the firing order for each cylinder, that will save you some wrenching on the alternator. An easy 1/2hr to 1hr job. You can usually tell when the engine require it from the valve noise. I also do a line torque on the head studs to make sure that they are still tight. Then check the exhaust manifold bolts are tight. The rear ones like to jump out from time to time. I ran twins for three years, so you can't use the cummins engine baring/turning tool. I just mail order my speed parts in from PDR or Peak from Vancover area. I had a brand spanky new o-ringed head at my door in two days.:drool2:

·
Banned
847 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do wanna learn how to do the valves myself for sure... gonna do some homework on that one. :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts