Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

321 - 340 of 655 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Just a cylinder by itself has the displacement of a lawnmower engine:shock:
I'm curious to know the estimated torque range for this thing. 1000lb/ft per cylinder?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I'm curious to know the estimated torque range for this thing. 1000lb/ft per cylinder?
at 10.4L thats 1733cc/cylinder. 1.7 liters, or the average honda engine size. holy balls.

but yea, pretty much a mower

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
That's what she said..............LOL

·
3 footin' through life
12,295 Posts
I like your thinking but 6,000 lbs/ft is a little far fetched. :rof Maybe on an engine dyno.

There are a few folks with deck plate motors that have been running 3,000+ lbs/ft for most of the season. I have no idea how they put even that to the ground.

·
Fastest Welder in Texas
2004 Ram 3500... 6.4 Cummins with some stuff.
3,604 Posts
I like your thinking but 6,000 lbs/ft is a little far fetched. :rof Maybe on an engine dyno.

There are a few folks with deck plate motors that have been running 3,000+ lbs/ft for most of the season. I have no idea how they put even that to the ground.
With Titanium Carbide transmissions and SuperGlue tires ! Lol !

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hahaha I had that idea at first but I went back and did the math and found out that was the size of an average Honda before I posted @ganzey

·
Registered
413 Posts

What's the avg displacement of those motors? I mean this motor is gonna have atleast 1.5x the displacement of the ones you mention. Plus, doesn't the volumetric efficiency increase at an exponential rate? The surface area of the inside of the cylinders can't be more than 20% bigger than a 6.7 but it's got like 45% more displacement.

Granted, those are all rough guesses and it's been a while since I took pressure and gasses in chemistry class.
Don't take any of this seriously. I'm pissing upwind and hoping it misses me and hits the guy behind me.:grin2:

·
3 footin' through life
12,295 Posts
Well... (1.21 gigawatts x 6.7) = eleventy billion horse torques.

so... (7.6 unicorns x 8.9L)= chuck norris

·
Registered
92 Posts

sorry for my ignorance but what is a deck plate motor is that something along the lines of a 6.4 cummins?

·
Ducati M.
6,747 Posts
It's an engine with a plate on the deck for additional strength. Also requires sleeves, and longer connecting rods to really do it right.

Reactions: reccymech

·
Fastest Welder in Texas
3,604 Posts
It effectively reduces the rod angle in relationship to the crank. Allowing for more torque without snapping a rod.

·
Registered
92 Posts
So you put a plate between the block and the head then bolt it up? Can the same thing not be achieved by using a 6.7 block and 5.9 crank as far as changing the angle and engine displacement or does it not hold up as well? Not trying to derail the thread just didn't know but had heard the term before.

·
Registered
894 Posts
So you put a plate between the block and the head then bolt it up? Can the same thing not be achieved by using a 6.7 block and 5.9 crank as far as changing the angle and engine displacement or does it not hold up as well? Not trying to derail the thread just didn't know but had heard the term before.

I've always wished there was a better write up on the deck plate engines....from what I gather a plate goes on top of the block with the required coolant and oil passages etc to pass from block to head. Then sleeves go down each bore for an actual smooth bore and combustion area then the head bolts on top of that. The benefit is that the comparative swinging of the big end of the rod about the small end that is at the piston is smaller for a deck plate setup. That equates to greater stability at higher cylinder pressures and relative to the stock arrangement you are translating more motion up and down and less of it swinging the rod side to side. I believe there is also benefit in less side loading on the piston skirt etc....

Again....this is what I could gather from several vague things I read on the Internet....so it has to be true :)

Love this thread and this build!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Fastest Welder in Texas
3,604 Posts
With a 6.7 block and 5.9 crank, you could mill .70 iirc off the block and end up with a 6.4... Or get custom made longer rods. But yes, both would reduce stress on the rods while giving more displacement.

·
Fastest Welder in Texas
3,604 Posts
The deckplate is of course the best of the options because you're not losing any displacement or stroke.

·
Ducati M.
6,747 Posts
When using a deckplate the top gets tied to the bottom making the whole engine stronger, and with the sleeves you won't wreck a block; the real benefit of a sleeved, deckplated engine is the block is a lot stronger than just putting a 5.9 crank into a 6.7 block. Carrillo does make an .080" longer billet rod for those guys doing the 6.4's, so you don't have to shave that eighty thou off the deck to make stock length rods work. D&J precisions deckplate engines use a 1" longer rod.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
D&J machine build the engines for a lot of notable pullers, lavon miller uses him, if that means anything. they just wrecked a block on one of their last weekend at scheids. they posted numbers, but it was something like 100(or 150)+ dyno pulls plus drag racing, sled pulling, at 1500-2300+ hp. and they just finally blew the crank out the side of a block. at that power level, its quite impressive to make a block hold that. some posts on facebook he hinted towards an in house billet block.....i love where this is headed.

·
Registered
863 Posts
The deck plate also helps keep the block from cracking.

321 - 340 of 655 Posts