Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Bhaf...

3858 22
One of my buddies has an "early" 04' Cummins and I have heard of people using the BHAF on their 3rd gen trucks?! Is this possible? As I know that you have to mod certain things to make it work clamps etc.. Thanks!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
586 Posts
It's easy! First get a torque tube or gut your stock one-theres plenty of tutorials on how to do this on the forum. I personally looked around and found a used cool hose for pretty cheap so I'm using that. Then you're going to need a 2-3 inch long 4" OD piece of pipe. Many people use pvc but I like aluminum because it's thinner so it will obstruct less. Then you need to select your filter that has a 4" ID and clamp it on. Most people figure out a way to support the filter so it doesn't just lay on its side. This can be done with a simple bracket with aluminum picked up from homedepot-just bend it to whatever shape you need and drill a couple of holes in it to mount it up inside the engine bay. Some people just zip tie it off instead. There ya go!
And btw-search man just about everything has been answered before and welcome to the forum!

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the quick responses!... And we have already gutted out that stock intake tube crap on her! So I guess all we need to do now is order his filter and cut off some left over 4" OD pipe and clamp that part down. And then get clamp it down to the filter and make a mounting solution!

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vulcanperformance.com has the 2790 and outer wear cover for sale...

Fleetguard AH19037
NAPA 2790
WIX 42790
Donaldson B105006
Baldwin PA2820
Hastings AF1012
AFE 20-40044
Carquest 87790
John Deere pmah19037
Big A 93790
Caterpillar 3i0005
Fleetrite ahr819037
Luber-finer laf2531
Fram ca6818
UNI 908

Outerwear cover wr3325-105

· Registered
524 Posts
I went the most expensive route (which is rare for me) and purchased the AFE mega cannon:thumbsup:

I am happy:party018:

· Registered
5,872 Posts
Thanks. I painted it, and my 2nd gen intake, Timberline Green.

The IAT sensor can be stuck in it's mount and just tie-wrapped out of the way if you want. For mine, I drilled holes and mounted it in the metal tubing I used to connect the factory rubber elbow to the BHAF inlet. The BHAF has a rubber neck so you need some pipe inside it because it will collapse if you try to put a band clamp on it...

· Registered
230 Posts
Do the filter minders really work, even after cleaning my filter it seemed to not make a difference - do we need to put it in??

Also, anyone know of a cheaper outerwear alternative?? Any other brands/part numbers that work with the BHAF??
Anyone notice any performance improvements with the BHAF?? Sound differences??

· Registered
198 Posts
I wish I would have known about this a long time ago before I bought the K&N :doh: :banghead:
I heard you shouldn't use kn cause over time the oil from the filter will coat the inside of the intercooler and make it less effective. www.airflo.com for a BHAF they have it for 46.37 just go to filteration and search Dodge it is a Duralite filter.

· Registered
153 Posts
Duralite filter....looked it up looks like a nice buy

Did you or anyone who has one notice an increase in air flow and also longevity of the filter.

I just don't want to go spend $200-$400 on an cold air intake from AFE etc...

· Registered
230 Posts
I was also wondering if the filter service interval would increase from the stock filter or aftermarket CAI type systems - anyone notice a change with the filter minder (at this point I'm going to drill a spot for the minder and put it in, no reason not to)??

I currently have an Airaid drop-in (previous owner put in) and the last time I cleaned and oiled it (looked like the first time ever:shock:) it took forever to do and a K&N cleaning kit at $10 plus dollars later I wasn't all impressed with the "improvement" on the filter minder indicator. I also noticed a fine black film on the intake tubing and turbo impeller, so in my opinion I'm glad to be switching over to a non-oiled BHAF system.

I picked up my Luberfiner BHAF this weekend and swung by the Home Depot to grab a 45° PVC elbow to fit, unfortunately the 3" was far too small on the OD and the 4" was too big, what is everyone else doing?? At this point I'm planning to use 4" OD exhaust tubing and weld up as needed with a 45° elbow, I just thought the PVC thing would get me rolling in no time.

· Registered
352 Posts
All the pics and talk on here it seems that the 4" pvc should work???

· Registered
5,872 Posts
It should work. I made a custom torque tube with parts I got from Airflowonline.com. Two rubber elbows, one 12" section of aluminized intake tubing (must be cut to size) and a couple of clamps. With my BHAF and that tube in place my turbo screams.
There are people putting a nylon stocking on their BHAF instead of buying an outerwears cover. I may try that here soon.
I get many miles out of my filters by blowing them out with compressed air. By the time I'm done the filter looks almost new. You should be able to get 50,000+ miles out of one if you do this....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.