Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does it really pay to buy a full cold air intake or just put a BHAF on it and call it quits and save a bundle

· Registered
5,842 Posts
Depends on your power modifications. Paper disposable BHAF filters flow well, but as power levels increase they won't flow enough for modified trucks. Also they are expensive to replace at $60+ a crack. Also, since they're paper, you want to run an Outerwears wrap or make a shield for it to prevent the paper from disintegrating due to moisture (driving in the rain behind other cars and taking a lot of moisture into the engine area for instance).

On my 2002, I run an AMSOIL 4510 Nanofiber (reusable, non-oiled) filter in an ICEBOX intake box.

-Chuck

4,256 Posts
ok personally i love the stock airbox, swiss cheese or go get a 4 in. hole saw and cut the airbox and firewall and run a piece of pvc through it. then you can run a good filter AND stay dry.

· Banned
1,559 Posts
i found a K&N intake tube on a crashed truck down @ the wreckers.... then bought a few filters and an outwears bag. supposedly the stock airbox is good to 500HP

dunno, my truck seems to go pretty decently these days and i'm more then happy with the BHAF

· Banned
1,559 Posts
like i said... $230 for a plastic tube and a cone filter

might as well go to the muffler shop, find a chunk of 4" pipe and toss a filter on the end of it... max cost about 80 bux.... OR

just keep the stock tube, cuz it's fine... and buy a filter for the end of it...

why donate cash to the K&N cause ?

· Registered
2,684 Posts
Depends on your power modifications. Paper disposable BHAF filters flow well, but as power levels increase they won't flow enough for modified trucks. Also they are expensive to replace at $60+ a crack. Also, since they're paper, you want to run an Outerwears wrap or make a shield for it to prevent the paper from disintegrating due to moisture (driving in the rain behind other cars and taking a lot of moisture into the engine area for instance).

-Chuck

THATS WHY ^^^^

like i said... $230 for a plastic tube and a cone filter

might as well go to the muffler shop, find a chunk of 4" pipe and toss a filter on the end of it... max cost about 80 bux.... OR

just keep the stock tube, cuz it's fine... and buy a filter for the end of it...

why donate cash to the K&N cause ?
:thumbsup:

· Banned
1,559 Posts
Big paper elements in all the CAT's on the Drilling Rigs

works for them, works for me

· Registered
460 Posts
supposedly the stock airbox is good to 500HP

I've been wondering if there are any limitations for the stock airbox. I have no plans to go anywhere near 500HP. I went with the stock airbox that is ported to the cowl. I like the clean look of the stock setup and the ability to draw cooler air from outside the engine compartment. My only concern was for any limitations, but it sounds like I'll be just fine with the stock box (and an Amsoil filter).

· Banned
1,559 Posts
you'd be amazed what blows into and onto the motors at work....

the same amount of dust, sand, snow and water gets on them, maybe more then my underhood cummins will ever see.

Maybe american rig hands don't wash and maintain their drilling rigs like we do ?

· Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

· Registered
460 Posts
i like the way that looks:party018: and do u just run the stock filter or something that flows a little more air like a KN ??:thumbsup:

I've read that the K&N filters (for the stock airbox) aren't very good. I bought an Amsoil filter for mine. While there are plenty of people out there that say a lot of Amsoil products are just gimmicks, I've never heard anyone say that they are just plain bad. I've had nothing but good results from the stuff I've used. The filter wasn't cheap, but it was still a heck of a lot less than a cold air setup. I'm about to send a hole saw and heavy-duty hose to another member. Maybe he can send it to you when he's done with it. There's enough there for quite a few stock mods.

· Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey wow that would be really cool..Thanks

· Premium Member
12,495 Posts
i like the way that looks:party018: and do u just run the stock filter or something that flows a little more air like a KN ??:thumbsup:
If you have the hp and need more air than a paper filter will flow you need a freer flowing filter.
Your filter minder will tell you if the filter is new and still sucks into the red.
I use an AFE but a Amsoil or K&N would work too.
I have nothing against K&N like some folks do.
In fact I have more dislike of BHAFs after seeing a couple of them popped off the hose without the owners knowledge for who knows how long.

· Registered
2,684 Posts
If you have the hp and need more air than a paper filter will flow you need a freer flowing filter.
Your filter minder will tell you if the filter is new and still sucks into the red.
I use an AFE but a Amsoil or K&N would work too.
I have nothing against K&N like some folks do.
In fact I have more dislike of BHAFs after seeing a couple of them popped off the hose without the owners knowledge for who knows how long.
HAHAHA :hehe:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.