Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's been raining like a sonofabeach down here is Houston and everything is saturated. I'm coming home last night and some teen boys covered in mud are trying to flag down passing 4x4 trucks. I stop and they inform me that their truck is stuck and ask if I can pull them out. (Very common at this spot).

I smile and say sure but there's two rules: you hook the strap to your truck and the other end goes on my ball hitch. I'm not getting out in the mud! Lol

So I backed down and sure enough they were stuck in some 18" deep muddy slick ruts. I put her in 4 low...put some tension on the strap, and gave her a little juice. The truck moved a couple feet and stopped. Next, a little slack in the strap and a little momentum and I get it moving again. At that time, I laid on the gas and took both of us up the hill and didn't stop till both were over the top.

This was the first time I've had my new BFG's in nasty, slick, greasy red clay mud and they performed like a champ. Totally dug in, cleaned out with a little wheel speed, and did the job with authority. BFG nailed it on the new KO2. I continue to be pleasantly surprised by these tires.

And by the way...it was a Ford. Lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
334 Posts
Awesome :thumbup:

Definitely on the top of my list for when my factory tires wear out. I had a set of the original KO's before and loved them.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I loved the old BFG's and I can honestly state that the new ones are VASTLY superior! Yay!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
@rgsauger If I recall you bought these last summer, how many miles do you have on them now?

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
50 Posts
Are these still holding up well? Ive been debating on these or the Toyo's. I've heard that the BFG's don't wear well on heavy trucks.

·
Rear Admiral Rickard Onmi
6,806 Posts
I've always had fantastic luck with the KO series. I loved every KO i have had, and a company i work with has put KO2s on many of their trucks. they have a great on road characteristics, and are great off road. The only time we have actually gotten the trucks stuck was when we sank the entire truck up past the frame in a mud hole. the guy driving it didn't have the best next day because he ended up spending an entire day cleaning the mud out from under the truck. We were just thankful we had an excavator on site to pull the truck out. lol. I just wish they were available in the size i want for my dually. but i may stick with some smaller tires and end up getting some KO2s because frankly, i love the things

·
Registered
419 Posts
The BFG's are awesome tires. I don't run them on my 4th gen however because I drive a ton of gravel road and they are rock slinging suckers!

·
Registered
5,147 Posts
Are these still holding up well? Ive been debating on these or the Toyo's. I've heard that the BFG's don't wear well on heavy trucks.
They ran great on my 11 ... then I traded her away .... so im itchin to dump my firestone trans force , as winter is on the way. ... loved them .

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've got just over 23k on them with honestly no discernible wear. They are still as quiet as day 1 and still ride and handle great. If I had it to do over, I would definitely buy them again.

·
Registered
173 Posts
They look good but they are prematurely wearing on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks if you dont rotate faster than the recommended 6-8k miles.

A big tire company that i wont name that i used to work for sent 10 sets off trucks in one month back for adjustment. Michelin said pretty much tough .

·
Registered
173 Posts

I would look into Toyo or Hankook

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good to hear they did decent in the mud. The KOs sucked in mud. Glad they improved the new ones. I'm between these and the new nitto ridge grapplers.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They look good but they are prematurely wearing on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks if you dont rotate faster than the recommended 6-8k miles.
That sucks to hear but my experience has absolutely been different. Mine are wearing great and have exceeded expectations in every manner.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The KOs sucked in mud.
Yeah they did! This new tire really is quite different than the old ones. I have about 400K miles on the old style BFG AT's and new that ties intimately. These new ones blow the old ones away in every aspect as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
63 Posts
One place that the old A/T's didn't wear well was gravel roads, and the KO2 was specifically intended to address this with a slightly different compound. I forget the numbers, but it seems like they said that in gravel road use (trail?) they improved wear by 40 or 60%? Whatever is was, it was a noteworthy amount.

The BFG's are awesome tires. I don't run them on my 4th gen however because I drive a ton of gravel road and they are rock slinging suckers!
I have KO2's on two trucks, and I have a 1/2 mile long driveway. They doo pick up stones when new for sure, but not after a while. And I Shirley can't say that the KO2's are any better or worse than the KO's. I'd say about the same.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm at 25K miles now and honestly, no discernible wear. LOVING my KO2's!

·
Registered
501 Posts
KO's have worked well for me. For me it's both snow and mud...Some sets have the snow flake symbol on the sidewall. Those are the ones I get...

I like them less when they're worn more than 50%...mud or snow...I've had a couple of sets now.

They have a good sidewall for our heavy front ends.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I find my new KO2s a softer tire than my previous AT KOs. They ride much nicer but feel squirmy. I have much reduced steering feel and they feel a spooky when towing my camper. Not sure how much of that is the transition from worn out tires to new ones but I'm sure the old ones had better steering response when new than these new KO2s have. I'm guessing the combination of softer rubber compound, loaded weight of the truck and deep tread make the tires feel like marshmallows.

I almost took them back. I'm hoping they tighten up with age and miles but if I had to do it over I would have gone with a more highway biased tire.

·
Registered
467 Posts
They are a decent tire for traction but they aren’t holding up. I have 12k on my set and have about 2/32 left of useable tread before I need to replace them. I am towing 80% of the time but when compared to my Michelins or my toyos I will probably only get half of the mileage I got from my other tires. They definitely do better in the wet fields but I can’t spend that money again for the mileage I am going to get. I rotate my tires every oil change so 5 k.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts