Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I was told to run my exhaust brake and the truck would get better mileage from the dealer. So I wanted to ask the 6.7CF people out there to see what you all think!

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
I guess it will depend on how you drive it .Fast Mpg goes down the drain semi fast it will stay in the middle exhaust brake it great for the Tailgater's in the city pissem off when they see ya slow down and no brake light's I use my brake everytime I run truck and love it and I am sure there will be other's they say different .it's your truck you be the Judge :)

·
Registered
419 Posts
i was wondering the same thing.....anyone else have any input

·
Registered
838 Posts
can't say if i've ever really ran mine without the EB... but i'm getting between 17-19 on the freeway.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I don't see why it would be any different using it or not. The tech at my dealership told me to run it all the time to reduce the chance of the turbo nozzle gettiing stuck from soot build-up.

Anytime you use the brakes of any type you take away kinetic energy from the vehicle and you created that energy in the first place by burning fuel to gain speed. So to save the most fuel you'd never use the brakes.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
eb

They lied mine hasnt changed

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree with what you said. Where I find it unefficant is where you come off the acclerator to coast it slows me down so rapidly I'm getting back on the acclerator sooner.

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
I don't see why it would be any different using it or not. The tech at my dealership told me to run it all the time to reduce the chance of the turbo nozzle gettiing stuck from soot build-up.

Anytime you use the brakes of any type you take away kinetic energy from the vehicle and you created that energy in the first place by burning fuel to gain speed. So to save the most fuel you'd never use the brakes.
The nozzle is constantly moving as you drive, so I do not think that story hold ANY water.:rof:rof:rof

·
Registered
110 Posts
I agree with what you said. Where I find it unefficant is where you come off the acclerator to coast it slows me down so rapidly I'm getting back on the acclerator sooner.
That is exactly what I found. I make sure to use the brake pretty much every day, but I no longer leave it on all the time. It actually reduced my overall mileage, most of which is more around town than freeway driving. The reduction in mileage though has nothing to do with the fact that the e-brake takes fuel consumption to use, it's just that you sort of lose the "coast" factor when you have to come to a stop. Because my dually only 12.5-13.5 mpg, and a fill up now is $135 :CRY:, I've been trying to get off throttle early and coasting to a stop.

G

·
Mines on all the time. If there is any diff. in milage I don't think it's much. Also someone mentioned slowing down without brake lights. It is good for tailgaters, but it's also kind of dangerous. When your in tow haul with the jake on you can slow down in a hurry without even touching the brakes. I think it's a good idea to tap the pedal a little for the non-tailgating person behind you.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Mines on all the time. If there is any diff. in milage I don't think it's much. Also someone mentioned slowing down without brake lights. It is good for tailgaters, but it's also kind of dangerous. When your in tow haul with the jake on you can slow down in a hurry without even touching the brakes. I think it's a good idea to tap the pedal a little for the non-tailgating person behind you.
not if your lookin for an after market bumper:lol3:

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Why do people still call them "jake or more correctly Jake", when in fact they are just an exhaust brakes. Or just call then ,if you have to use the manufactures name , call them a Holset brake. Na, then you won't sound like a truck driver , Jake brake Johnny....:butt::butt::butt:

G

·
Why do people still call them "jake or more correctly Jake", when in fact they are just an exhaust brakes. Or just call then ,if you have to use the manufactures name , call them a Holset brake. Na, then you won't sound like a truck driver , Jake brake Johnny....:butt::butt::butt:
Was that really worth the time it took to type. Call it what you want, but you and most everyone else knew what I meant.:beer

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Was that really worth the time it took to type. Call it what you want, but you and most everyone else knew what I meant.:beer
Yes it was:lol3:

·
Registered
212 Posts
My thoughts are still out on the mileage aspect of it. It is a very nice addition. I had a gooseneck hitch installed and the place I got it installed the wiring incorrect. I was 90 miles from home and hitched to a flatbed trailer with a tractor on top and the incorrect wiring left me with no trailer brakes, oh and no tools to fix it either. Long story short, tow haul and exhaust brake made the trip easier for what it was worth. I use mine when I leave town out on extended trips, which is once or twice a week. Can't or haven't seen any difference yet.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Jake brack = Originally made by Jacobs(hence the name), usually refers to an ENGINE brake

Your trucks = NOT a Jake brake, an exhaust brake

BIG difference

·
Premium Member
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
that is wonderful but not on topic. Please stay on topic if you would like to correct people you can pm them. Thank you

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The nozzle is constantly moving as you drive, so I do not think that story hold ANY water.:rof:rof:rof
It is also about the back pressure,when the brake is applied you are also moving the slide full travel

Bob

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Jake brack = Originally made by Jacobs(hence the name), usually refers to an ENGINE brake

Your trucks = NOT a Jake brake, an exhaust brake

BIG difference
:beer Are you forgetting that pre 6.7
Jacobs made the E brakes for the p-ups?
Maybe we should call the original version an engine retarder not by the brand name as well.:w:

Bob

1 - 20 of 30 Posts