Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, new to the forum but not to trucks. I have a 2007 6.7 and have never had any problems towing or anything. The truck is stock other than a Superchips file I have in it and I definitely felt the gain and it did make towing easier too. Now with diesel going up and also wanting to have some fun with the truck, I want to buy some modifications that allow me to get better mileage and also have some power. Now I'm getting around 16.4 mpg as a daily driver and around 14.5 to 15 when I'm pulling a trailer. I am looking at different exhaust options (maybe a nice set of stacks) from MBRP, either an AFE or also heard Banks has a good intake, DPF delete and maybe an Edge or Smarty instead of the Powerchips. Has anyone done these types of upgrades and noticed anything mpg wise? I have heard from a buddy that people with 6.7s with the automatic transmission have had problems with the Smarty because the tranny tends to overheat. I have seen people run with the Smarty though and they put out nice smoke and seem to make good power aswell.

Thanks for the help!

· Premium Member
124 Posts
I have an AFE intake, XRT, and straight pipe on mine and I get between 19-20 MPG.

· Registered
460 Posts
Addons are fun, but be prepared to also spend bucks on a transmission upgrade. Unless you are running a manual, then be prepared for a new clutch in your future.
There are literally hundreds of posts on the subject of modding your truck. Add a tuner, do the deletes. I assume that your warranty is also over?

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Warranty is just about over and not too huge of a concern. I am not looking to add a ton of power, just a little to have some fun but mainly doing upgrades to increase fuel mileage. I know with any car or truck adding power means more stress to the trans so has anyone had problems with the automatics with just some minor tuner, exhaust, and intake setups? I will look around more on the forum as I have already found some great tips about other things on here but I am not pulling much weight when towing and don't plan on pulling the truck or take it to a drag strip.

· Registered
414 Posts
if you drive smart you shouldnt have any tranny problems.

my setup is in sig,

im have been getting 17-18 on winter fuel. i think they still blend it im not sure. plus thats with about 30 mins of idling every day. so not to bad.

thats with the 60 hp tune from xrt , and thats really plenty of power for me.
id like more when the tranny gets some beffing up 1st and waste gate.

best advise is read read read

· Registered
245 Posts
got a 4-5 mpg gain with the goodies in my signature.

· Registered
1,279 Posts
I have hand calculated all my fuel mileage from day one until now. This is keep on a spread sheet for reference.
With all of my changes listed in my sig, I have gain a solid 3 MPG over my stock truck. I am running the 60 HP tune from Smarty.

· Registered
464 Posts
Jim W: ? with your spread sheet. How many miles at 3 mpg gain.Would you need to drive to realize a recovery cost; based on the current diesel prices. Compared to your cost, for all the add on's (power train). My 7.5 2500 HD averages 14-16 towing 10000, average speed 60 mph (stock).

· Registered
94 Posts
Im running the Edge Juice and S&B intake. In getting just a little under 20 mpg with just the Edge. Just got the intake a few weeks ago and love it. No huge difference on power or mpg (so far) but i love to hear the sound of my turbo. Banks is a good intake but seems to be a little high in cost. Most people on here are running S&B or AFE. Work great and not to pricey.

· Registered
518 Posts
I have MP-8, straight piped 4" exhaust, ERG unplugged and K&N drop in filter, on 212 miles round trip was 24.09 MPG, used 8.8 gallons. 6 speed man and 3.42's. I spent around 500 bucks on my setup. (used exhaust and mp-8)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.