Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your truck HERE to be a part of December's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I couldn't find a 2010+ with a Supertop so here's mine. The 76304 part number applies to 02-12 RAM SB.

I did have some issues with assembly one minor which I corrected and one that still needs some work. First off one of the slots for a stud bracket mount, on both left and right rail, was not machine enough so took it to work and machined it. The second issue is a little more involved. Our trucks have alot of taper in the box, wider at the cab and narrower at the tailgate. The Supertop instruction require that you set the bedrail mounts 63.5" appart at the cab and tailgate. The tailgate is fine but if I had set the bedrail mount at 63.5" at the cab then it would be completely off the box rail! It was soo tight I actually had to remove the bed rail clamps at the cab to attach the cover on the rails. I was able to spread the rails enough for now but I plan on making a clamp/spreader to secure the rail onto the box rail.

All in all it's a nice cover. I'm already getting compliments at work, I just think the fit to our box should be better. There is room for improvement.

So here it is...

Reactions: 11Ram and picdodge

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
It's a different look for sure! I'm dumb when it comes to those top because I have a roll top cover that rolls back in a box, so what's the purpose in those tops?? The cheap price or what?? Sorry

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
firemanram

Basically I didn't want another tonneau cover, and needed some more space in the box so I can keep my stuff out of the elements. A truck cap costs more and I need help taking it off, plus I have to store the thing. The soft top folds forward so I can load up the dirt bikes, more convenient for me.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Im not sure the positives out weigh the looks, which I consider a negative. I can see the attraction to wanting to take it on and off easily but... not my cup of tea.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hey toolie, welcome to the club! (See below link to a thread I posted earlier this year on this same setup)

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/2...80548-bestop-supertop-install-w-pictures.html

I went with this top for the same reasons you mention:

initial cost - $600 versus $2000 for a nice fiberglass one
storage when not needed - fits in a nice box in the garage out of the way
speed - I can go from no top to a top in honestly about 15 minutes (I do leave the side rails on the truck at all times). conversely, it comes off even quicker which is convenient in the event I've got it on and need to haul something big in the bed.
independence - I don't need anyone's help

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DieselVirgin

Wish I'd seen your write-up earlier, nice.

So you have your bed rails more than 63.5" apart at the cab? I think the box is about 65"s at the cab. I found it difficult get the front corners hooked up properly, maybe it was just a little too cool that day.

·
Registered
272 Posts
It seems like I was able to get CLOSE, real close, to the 63.5 inches but the rails were hanging off to the inside a bit. I was still able to use the provided c-clamps to clamp it down and it seems solid.

After looking at it with it all installed, it seems the only problem with cheating a little on this dimension (to say, 64 or 64.5) would be that as the front window and fabric turned the corner to the side windows, the zipper for the side window might not quite reach the side window.

I'll remember to take a measurement next time I'm with the truck and I'll PM you the exact dimension.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Do you have a pic of it folded up? How much room does it take up? Kinda neat and different idea for sure.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Was looking for just this kind of top, I never know if I will need to carry odd shaped stuff.

Ditto on the folded pics.

Actually, knowing how cold it is getting in Ontario, I'll think you'd be lucky to get it buttoned back down after folding it...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's too cold for me to try folding it right now, but try this ...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've been looking into these. It would be great for hunting season, which is the only time I use a topper, to keep the gear and dogs under cover.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Toolie and DieselVirgin: In your opinion would this topper work with a L shape fuel tank in the bed? It is about 3in narrower on each side than the bed rails. I want a topper but I don't want to store it when I don't want it on.

Thanks,
Cory

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'll take some pics of the bed rails at the front of the bed and perhaps an INTERIOR CLEAR measurement tonight and try to post up either tonight or tomorrow.

If you have three inches to spare on each side, my gut tells me it'd fit just fine.

Reactions: cory1337

·
Registered
592 Posts
I'll take some pics of the bed rails at the front of the bed and perhaps an INTERIOR CLEAR measurement tonight and try to post up either tonight or tomorrow.

If you have three inches to spare on each side, my gut tells me it'd fit just fine.
Thanks for the help!

Cory

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hey guys,

Took some measurements and the FRONT topper rails are actually about 63 and 3/4 inches apart at the front of the truck (instead of the recommended 63.5).

So, Cory, I have 63-3/4 inches CLEAR between the topper rails at the front of the bed. The rail clamps (like c-clamps) stick out from the rails about 1-3/4 inches but these clamps can be pushed further towards the back of the truck so they aren't near the front. So, it sounds like you could easily get the fuel tank in between the rails.

One thing you'll have to think about though is that if you want to run with the top OFF but still have the 'cage' or the boughs on the truck, they fold up to the front of the truck. This WOULD interfere with your tank I think. They wouldn't lay down flat at the front of the bed. You can see the boughs in a couple of my pics in my post that I referenced earlier.

Sorry I don't have additional pics yet. I have to use my photobucket account (PITA) which I rarely use and the password is at work.

Reactions: cory1337

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hey guys,

Took some measurements and the FRONT topper rails are actually about 63 and 3/4 inches apart at the front of the truck (instead of the recommended 63.5).

So, Cory, I have 63-3/4 inches CLEAR between the topper rails at the front of the bed. The rail clamps (like c-clamps) stick out from the rails about 1-3/4 inches but these clamps can be pushed further towards the back of the truck so they aren't near the front. So, it sounds like you could easily get the fuel tank in between the rails.

One thing you'll have to think about though is that if you want to run with the top OFF but still have the 'cage' or the boughs on the truck, they fold up to the front of the truck. This WOULD interfere with your tank I think. They wouldn't lay down flat at the front of the bed. You can see the boughs in a couple of my pics in my post that I referenced earlier.

Sorry I don't have additional pics yet. I have to use my photobucket account (PITA) which I rarely use and the password is at work.
Thanks for the help, I am going to wait for spring and try to find a used one to save a few more bucks. Thanks again!

Cory

1 - 16 of 16 Posts