Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a new used Dodge but don't know what years would be good for my application. I know some of you guys tow real heavy, I tow heavy equipment and need a 1 ton 4x4, what would you guys suggest in years, manual/auto, gearing etc.. I currently have a 95 3/4 ton and a 96 1 ton manual, but they are old worn out I don't want to put more money in them. When I'm fully loaded I'm at 18k and live in the hills of CA so I need good power and great breaking. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Carl :banghead:

·
Registered
404 Posts
In my opinion my 07 5.9 pulled better, when it comes to hills, than my new one, but you cant beat the auto tranny in the 6.7. The exhaust brake and tow haul combo will stop any load. Its nice. I loved my old one, but i wouldnt go back.

·
Registered
13,652 Posts
Would probably be better to ask this question in the towing section but stock for stock both my 6.7's outpulled any of the 5.9's I have ever owned. My trailer is 18K and I pulled it with my 03, 05, 08 and 2010

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've towed RVs that are 13,000 to 17,000 lbs with several trucks, including a '98 Cummins with a manual trans, and a '02 Cummins with an auto trans, an '03, an '05, and an '07 Duramax, and now a '10 Cummins with an auto trans. The '02 Cummins was the worst, and the '10 Cummins is the best. I couldn't be more happy with my 6.7 Cummins.

·
Registered
451 Posts
my '010 pulls way better than my 06 megacab. way more comfortable and it felt as if the trailer wasn't there. (fifth wheel ball hitch,NO bumper tow)

the exhuast brake is TITS!
Transmission is awesome! feels way better to pull then the 48RE.
love the new '010, just don't like the egr. BOOOO!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks for the great info! Do you guys feel confident with the Automatic towing heavy, is it as good as an allison? I'll post anymore question I have in the tow section. Thanks for the great feedback! Sounds like the 6.7 is going to be the way to go.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts