Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

best year of the 24v...

45292 Views 63 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  DodgeMech
what is the best year of the 24 valve?? is there a year to stay away from.. i know they have had the problems with the 53 block..but is there anything else???
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

· Registered
250 Posts
id say 02 because (and i think) most of them had the 56 block and you get rear discs instead of drum. oh and because i have one

· Registered
424 Posts
I like the 01-02 like they said disc brakes all the way around and less chance of a 53.

· Registered
1,654 Posts
im gonna go with 1998.5-2000 because everybody is saying 01 or 02. :lol4:

by the way some people prefer the drum rear. (ex. semi's have drum brakes and honda's have all wheel disk....:hehe:)

but obviously get which ever year have the features that your looking for. If you find a pimped out 1999 or a junky 2001 which one would you pick?

· Registered
424 Posts
buy a 2005, they have nicer interior, 4X disc brakes and common rail fueling (no vp44)

oh.... and I have one lol
Now you're just talking crazy talk. Thats not a diesel anymore. If it doesn't rattle and clank, it shouldn't be considered in this discussion:lol4:. If we are going to start talking about quiet diesels, I'm afraid i would hafta say my 06 LBZ Dmax. Good mileage and insane power with a single programmer and a jet turbine exhaust sound when you step on it, but I still like my rattley OLD CUMMINS more.:party018:

· Registered
755 Posts
Now you're just talking crazy talk. Thats not a diesel anymore. If it doesn't rattle and clank, it shouldn't be considered in this discussion:lol4:. If we are going to start talking about quiet diesels, I'm afraid i would hafta say my 06 LBZ Dmax. Good mileage and insane power with a single programmer and a jet turbine exhaust sound when you step on it, but I still like my rattley OLD CUMMINS more.:party018:
:lol4::ditto:

NOTHING beats the sound of a straigh piped vp44 truck:headbang:

· Registered
1,472 Posts
a 2007 5.9 its a 24v common rail.........

· Premium Member
1,970 Posts
IMO---01 if you want drum brakes, 01.5-02 if you want the disk brakes and more common HO trucks....

you can find a few 01 HO trucks with drums, but i've only seen one...

and as far as the junky tq managment....get a manual, so no worries....

· Registered
1,816 Posts
98.5 :headbang::lol4:

· Registered
1,816 Posts
the 2001 and 2002s have the holes in the cowl for pushrods to come out so you dont have to lift cab when you pull the head
dont quote me on this, but I am pretty sure all the 98-02 trucks do. My 98.5 does

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.