Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum. Just curious which Cummins is the best value.

Looking for longevity and to know which generations have which problems.

Seems like:
1st Gen-no problems except the VE pump dying every couple hundred thousand

2nd Gen-Great IP but has the failing dowel pin problem

3rd Gen-IP is both expensive and poor quality

Which is the better engine? Seems like the 1st Gen is great. Can it be modded much and if so what kind of HP is it good for? Second Gen seems to have the most versatile and best IP ever made. Am I right there? Are there any common problems to look out for?

thanks!
Nick

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
all of the generations have their own value bud. They all have the ups and downs. Just do more research here on the forums and you will see what others like and dislike bout the different years and gens. Good luck :beer

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Oh and :welcome: :lol3:

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
The first gen stops at about 400 HP unless you start getting real creative. At those levels I don't think the IP can last longer than a couple hundred thousands, stock they can last half a million...

I wouldn't call the P-pump "versatile", with it's relative lack of adjustability and funny governor. But it is bulletproof.

I don't understand the appeal of the VP44 pumps at all.

Common rails are the best.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The first gen stops at about 400 HP unless you start getting real creative. At those levels I don't think the IP can last longer than a couple hundred thousands, stock they can last half a million...

I wouldn't call the P-pump "versatile", with it's relative lack of adjustability and funny governor. But it is bulletproof.

I don't understand the appeal of the VP44 pumps at all.

Common rails are the best.
I like the performance of the 3rd Gen Common Rail. My bro in law has one and it's great. But I just read someone had the injection pump go out on one of those (I think in the 911 section here). Probably out of my price range too!! I'm cheap (and poor!)

Did you say you can sqeak 400HP out of the 1st GEn??? Wow! That's amazing! That's on par with 3rd Gen 2003's and 4's.

Also, what kinds of things would need to be done to get that engine to around 250-300HP? Expensive

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bump on the DI? I don't know much about cummins other than that they're great engines. Are they all DI or just certain years?

·
Registered
861 Posts
2nd gen 12 valve. the dowel pin can be fixed for 50 bucks and in 4 hours

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
All Dodge Cummins are direct injected. One of the major reasons why they were revolutionary and are all capable of big power.

400 HP is about the max that a VE pump on a first gen can flow; great power, especially considering what the other Diesel's of the time could put out, but nothing in comparision on the other generations. 400 HP requires at least an aftermarket turbocharger, intake, fuel supply system, intake, exhaust and transmission, and then either a second turbocharger, cam or tons of head porting.

Everything put together, along with a bigger-than-stock pump head, and you can make 600+ HP as a trailer queen.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Begle1, THAT's AMAZING. Especially as you said, for it's day. I am not that crazy about the old body style. It looks like a 1970's truck. But the engine seems great! Very simple and reliable. Quite possibly the BEST one if based on those things. I've heard the VE pumps are rebuildable by a DIY-er. Not sure if that's true or not but if so that's great too!

Let me get this straight... No dowel pin problem in the 1st Gen 89-93 Cummins. Is that right?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
all of the generations have their own value bud. They all have the ups and downs. Just do more research here on the forums and you will see what others like and dislike bout the different years and gens. Good luck :beer
And even then, only take in half of what you see or read because there is a lot of complaining :CRY::CRY::CRY:
When these are all good products. Remember ,the glass is always half full , not half empty....

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would have to second the vote for a second gen 12 valve. Good looking truck, cheaper to mod than a 3rd gen. Plenty of HP to be made. Dowel pin is an easy fix from what Ive seen. Plus it will run on anything! I like my common rail but it is expensive to mod.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
1st gens have KDP's too, but they're a rarer problem than on the 2nd gens. Most 1st genners wait to fix the KDP until they have the timing case off to bump the timing a tooth...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts