Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I want to give my motor the best blood, just wondering who makes the best stuff and what everyone else is using.
Donaldson Enderance sold by Amsoil. :thumbsup

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I run Rotella Oil and Fleetguard Filters. I don't know enough about the differences in oil to give my opinion but, I know some guys who run heavy machinery and all they run is Rotella. However, there are others who will run other stuff.

·
Washington Chapter Vice President
5,055 Posts
Look into the Amsoil Products.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
2,459 Posts
I run all AMSoil synthetic fluids in all my vehicles (only engine oil in the '08, will have everything else when it hits 20K miles), AMSoil nanofiber air filters, and Wix oil filters. Peace of mind, since I have never had a lubrication-related issue since I started getting anal about what fluids go into my vehicles.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Only because you asked for my opinion...

Fleetguard and Rosmella

The way I figure - If I can get a reliable 300K on my cummins with conventional, why bother with synthetic. Rotella has low ash, and Fleetguard Stratapore has some of the best filtration out there.
I get my oil at the local wholsale club, and my filters from cummins (in bulk)

If you want to put a million miles on your truck, get the Amsoil. If you think you'll be l looking for a new truck in 300-400k, go with Rotella.

·
Registered
124 Posts
BTW - Don't take my word on the Rotella... I have oil analysis that I'm willing to share.

On the inverse, an argument that could be made is that the verdict is still out on the EGR engines and service intervals.

·
Registered
450 Posts
There is nothing, absolutely nothing better than Schaeffers its all i run and all i will run, out performs amsoil hands down, i would run rotella before i ever ran amsoil

·
Smells like Bananas
7,240 Posts
Dont know if any of all read TDR or even get the Mag. But a few issues ago if you would have read it yall would not bet running Shell Rotella in your trucks. Rotella was bottom on the list. I will not use it any more because of that artical. Amsoil did not do so well either. Valvoline Blue 15w-40 came out on top. Valvoline has the cummins endorsement on it, why would you use anything else.

fleet guard filter or napa

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Dont know if any of all read TDR or even get the Mag. But a few issues ago if you would have read it yall would not bet running Shell Rotella in your trucks. Rotella was bottom on the list. I will not use it any more because of that artical. Amsoil did not do so well either. Valvoline Blue 15w-40 came out on top. Valvoline has the cummins endorsement on it, why would you use anything else.

How were these tests done? I'd like to know more. I definitly want to run the best oil!!!

·
Registered
80 Posts

I agree with MATT, Valvoline and fleetguard for me.
:thumbsup

·
Registered
733 Posts
whats the part number for the fleetguard oil filter for the 6.7L ?

·
Registered
80 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
What about good ol mopar 15w-40? or is that stuff junk. Shouldnt you just get mopar filter though?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I believe the mopar filter is made by fleetguard. Not sure of price from mopar. I try to stay away from the stealerships, but that is just me. :))

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Something to know about oil is that it is being changed (maybe already) to accommodate the new diesels with cats. To do so, the zinc must be removed. The low ash of the new stuff is nice, though (no phosphate to counter the sulphur ph)

Unfortunately, the zinc is what gives the STELLAR engine life we have experienced since STP was introduced. I have switched to straight 40 weight in all my machinery, as the 15-40 is being changed. If you have a cat, this is a bad idea. The zinc will cause troubles. Especially as the rings break in on your new engine. Unless you scrap that POS, anyway...

As to synthetics, it's a waste of time and money. The resistance to thermal and viscosity breakdown are fantastic, but by the time you are able to take advantage of the life of the oil, you should have changed it 10 times over, and done so for the same price of a single synthetic change.

Now transmissions and axles, I say synthetic is the only way to go in heavy duty trucks, as high heat can actually gum up the oil.

I use NAPA gold filters and am EXTREMELY wary of Fram. I have seen Fram filters with metal shavings on the wrong side from threads on the filter being cut.

There IS a way to have your cake and eat it, too, with synthetic motor oil. Put a turbine purifier on your engine. It removes the soot, carbon, and other particulates, and thus you can SAFELY run the synthetic long enough to make some sort of sense. Plus your oil stays SUPER clean. Probably will never make sense, though as regular oil changes with non-synthetic should allow in excess of 600k.

If it made sense, commercial owner operators would use synthetic as we see MAJOR hours on our equipment, and stuff wears out many times faster.

PS those guys at GENOS are great. I have bought much stuff from them. Nice folks, and very reasonable. Refreshing to deal with people who know their product, too. :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Shskr,
Hey thanks alot for the link and info.

·
Registered
80 Posts
No problem, I'm still learning and this place is a wealth of info.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts