Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my truck for almost 16 years and still haven't found tires that I like! My latest disaster has been the Duratracs. In my configuration they are scary dangerous, so they're going back. As can be seen in the picture, I have the 17" Laramie aluminum wheels from a newer truck, so I've been running 265/70--17 tires, which are the stock size for those wheels.

I had Cooper ATP's on there before the Duratracs, and they were OK except they were terrible in snow. I've used Duratracs on several other (light-duty) vehicles and they were always great, so I tried them on this truck and they are so unstable I'm about to have a coronary. Literally just fighting to keep the truck on the road and preferably in 1 lane, for hours. I've never experienced anything like it. I've put about 2,000 miles on these tires, including 2 trips with the camper, and I'm done with them.

Back when I had the stock 16" wheels, I ran Yokohama Geolandar A/T, but those were a load range D tire. That was before I had the rather heavy truck camper that I have now. It looks like they do make those tires in an E load range for my 17" wheels, so maybe those are an option.

And just to be clear, I've checked all suspension/steering components to be sure they're tight, then I had the truck aligned, and I've been experimenting with different tire pressures, and none of it cures the dangerous wander. I also have a redhead steering box with not too many miles on it, steering brace, and borgeson steering shaft, so I really shouldn't be having all of this drama.

I don't necessarily need an A/T tire, so it might be better to move into something a little more highway-centric. If it's great in the snow, that would be a huge bonus. But first and foremost it has to be solid while carrying a big load. So far I'm thinking about the following:

Nitto Dura Grappler
Michelin LTX A/T 2
Yokohama Geolandar A/T
General Grabber HD

I'd appreciate any experience and advice you may have. Thanks!
Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
I’m not surprised you didn’t like the Duratracs with an in-bed camper. Goodyear typically has softer sidewalls. I had the Geolanders on a half ton years ago. It was not good for winter AT ALL. I think you’ll like the Michelin’s. I haven’t ran them but a few people I know have. Toyo open country should be a contender for you as well. Their AT2, AT3 and CT’s are well liked and get good reviews in winter typically. I currently have the AT2 AW (more siping). Cooper AT3s are starting to pop up more locally and have good siping but I don’t know anyone that has ran them yet.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Toyo M55's are supposed to be a heavy duty service tire and are available in that size you mentioned. I haven't run them but it might be something you could look at also.

Reactions: Marq92

·
Registered
93 Posts
BTW - like the look of your camper. Is it a short bed? I'm about to pick up a Lance camper for my 2nd Gen.

·
Premium Member
2,432 Posts
I really like my Toyo M-55's. They are a legitimate commercial rated tire. I'd go 255/80r17 to have more sidewall as they ride pretty rough.

Reactions: 2002CTD

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have always had good luck in the snow with the Cooper ST maxx, but they are pretty heavy and pretty aggressive.

My favorite highway tire is by far the Bridgestone Duravis R500, or if you want the all terrain variety go for the M700. They are kind of pricey but they are a great tire. You'll get sick of them long before they wear out they last so long.

You can actually find the Bridgestones with buy 3 get one free offers alot of times.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I’ve got almost 10k on a set of Bridgestone Duravis R500’s and they’re wearing great. They were the highest weight rating tire I could find in 17”.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BTW - like the look of your camper. Is it a short bed? I'm about to pick up a Lance camper for my 2nd Gen.
Thanks! The truck is a long bed, but this camper is built to work on either short or long bed trucks. It's a Palomino HS-8801.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I know the feeling. I left a tires shop with Hankooks, once, and I turned around and went right back for Michelins. The Hankooks were like driving on ball bearings. It would go sideways, on a curve , with any throttle at all. I have Yokohamas now and they are very solid but don't ride like the Michelins. I'll gladly go back to Michelins, next time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts