Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
If they had gotten 52K miles out of them i would buy another set, but they only have 52k kms on them which is piss poor. Add on top of the poor lifespan one of my sledding buddies has them on his half ton and hes always the on getting stuck on trips, so they haven't done anything to impress me.
And for they toyos, My dad has ran them on his past two 1500s and driving them in the winter they did a excellent job, even when towing the sled trailer. I don't see how the extra 800 pounds my truck weights over his would make a major difference in their handling.
Your truck weighs more than 800 lbs over a 1500.... think my 1500 was under 6klbs. My 2500 weighs 8500. Massive difference. If that’s what your saying? But even 500lb changes how a tire can act.

Wierd to have issues getting stuck with duratracs. Me and friends who run them have had no traction issues. One would be clay needs wheel speed to help clean.

I was about to go Toyo but talked to a few friends and brother, who had them and hated winter ability. That was my main goal getting a tire, since I don’t plan on taking my heavy truck in the mud.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Right tools for the right job. Murphy's Soap is not the right tool.
[/QUOTE]

You do know the difference between Murphy’s tire mounting soap and Murphy’s oil soap for woodwork, right?

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
How did they Preform towing?
They do great towing. They have one of the higher payload ratings from what I can tell and only need to be pumped to 50 PSI so the ride isnt that rough. I wish they lasted longer but I'm also a somewhat of an aggressive driver.

I've had BFG KM2 before and I didnt care for the road noise or the wear. These the road noise is lower and I'd say slightly better then KM2's wear wise.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Right tools for the right job. Murphy's Soap is not the right tool.
You do know the difference between Murphy’s tire mounting soap and Murphy’s oil soap for woodwork, right?
[/QUOTE] Yes.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Yes.
[/QUOTE]

Why is a product designed and sold for the purpose of mounting tires for the last 50 years the wrong tool for the job?

·
Registered
6,171 Posts

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Why is a product designed and sold for the purpose of mounting tires for the last 50 years the wrong tool for the job?
Murphy's makes a tube and tire mounting compound . Murphy's oil Soap is not correct.

Murphy's Original Concentrated Tire and Tube Mounting Compound BOWES TC 37532 8 LB Tub
[/QUOTE]

So what perzacaly did you think I was referring to? Did I say oil soap. Everybody in the tire industry refers to Murphy’s soap. I guess you’ve never spent any real time in a tire shop. It’s where I started my full time working years. I probably mounted more tires in a week ( using Murphy’s soap) than you’ve purchased in your lifetime.

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Murphy's makes a tube and tire mounting compound . Murphy's oil Soap is not correct.

Murphy's Original Concentrated Tire and Tube Mounting Compound BOWES TC 37532 8 LB Tub
So what perzacaly did you think I was referring to? Did I say oil soap. Everybody in the tire industry refers to Murphy’s soap. I guess you’ve never spent any real time in a tire shop. It’s where I started my full time working years. I probably mounted more tires in a week ( using Murphy’s soap) than you’ve purchased in your lifetime.
[/QUOTE]
WOW.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
I going too have to look into seeing how much it is to have a set siped, because with the price i can get toyos at it would make more sense economically to do that. Did having them siped effect their off road performance much if at all?
Define off road performance? I don't think it does other than they will obviously chunk out faster if you're spinning tires in rocks and they will get better traction on slick surfaces due to more biting surface.
First set of Toyo MT's I siped and had accelerated wear on back tires, but I definitely missed a rotation and put 10k+ hard miles from the PNW to AK and alot of unpaved roads with a 2.5T truck camper on the back. But I've been running a set of siped Firestone MTs for at least 30k miles now and getting great wear and no accelerated rear tire wear with maybe 5k miles or more of camper hauling, but all highway for the most part.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
So, just picked up a set of these tires. Quite economical and they do make limited big boy sizes in 18 and 20. Not many reviews I've found, must be a new model tire for Cooper. Not sure how durable they are, but for the price, they're $100-150 less per tire for LR E sizes and were jsut over $500 for the set of 4 31-10.50-15s. Not a super aggressive mud tread. I'll never wear them out with miles on thsi Jeep, but am considering them as the next set for a 3/4 ton Chev that we have.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Your truck weighs more than 800 lbs over a 1500.... think my 1500 was under 6klbs. My 2500 weighs 8500. Massive difference. If that’s what your saying? But even 500lb changes how a tire can act.

Wierd to have issues getting stuck with duratracs. Me and friends who run them have had no traction issues. One would be clay needs wheel speed to help clean.

I was about to go Toyo but talked to a few friends and brother, who had them and hated winter ability. That was my main goal getting a tire, since I don’t plan on taking my heavy truck in the mud.
1,800 is what i meant to put.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Define off road performance? I don't think it does other than they will obviously chunk out faster if you're spinning tires in rocks and they will get better traction on slick surfaces due to more biting surface.
First set of Toyo MT's I siped and had accelerated wear on back tires, but I definitely missed a rotation and put 10k+ hard miles from the PNW to AK and alot of unpaved roads with a 2.5T truck camper on the back. But I've been running a set of siped Firestone MTs for at least 30k miles now and getting great wear and no accelerated rear tire wear with maybe 5k miles or more of camper hauling, but all highway for the most part.
Off road for me is goat trails and mud roads, so i chunking isn't a huge concern as i avoid gravel as much as i can. Those coopers look nice on that jeep but I'm going to stay away from them after hearing what mrbb1 had to say about them, and i cant get a good deal on them.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
^ Ha yeah maybe that's why they were cheap! Sorry mrbb1...
My unofficial opinion is that siping only notably decreases tire life if loaded very heavy or spinning the tires alot in rocks. I've had 3 sets now that got great mileage and 1 (the Toyos and camper) that noticeably wore quicker.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
12,912 Posts
All I can add is that the tires I use are the best.
Well, for me. As far as I know. And for what I do with them.

·
Registered
567 Posts
^ Ha yeah maybe that's why they were cheap! Sorry mrbb1...
My unofficial opinion is that siping only notably decreases tire life if loaded very heavy or spinning the tires alot in rocks. I've had 3 sets now that got great mileage and 1 (the Toyos and camper) that noticeably wore quicker.
the tires I got were full price tires, and I had options of a different make at time, so, I don;'t think I got flawed or some lower end tires from Cooper, I doubt t that had anything to do with what tires I got at all .
I either just got BAD one's period from then, some how?

but as of now I am far from happy with them and all the vibration issue's

handling wise, I will admit they do well, on sticking to the road in all weather, from snow, ice to MILD off road use! they do hold and throw gravel a lot more than some other tread designs, but not super bad at it as some others I have owned, !
I how ever will not be buying any more coopers after these are gone!

the only issue I know of with snipping tires is like any tire tread, once the SHARP edge wears off of things, they will NOT work as well as before , as in traction they provide in things like ice and snow and wet road surfaces!
so yes snipping can make things work better, but as things wear they will not work as well as when newly cut!

·
Registered
12,912 Posts
the only issue I know of with snipping tires is like any tire tread, once the SHARP edge wears off of things, they will NOT work as well as before , as in traction they provide in things like ice and snow and wet road surfaces!
so yes snipping can make things work better, but as things wear they will not work as well as when newly cut!
That holds true for any tread block edges, siped or not.

·
Registered
567 Posts
That holds true for any tread block edges, siped or not.
correct, and this is why typically larger lug tires are not very good in snow and ice, as they just have fewer edges to grab and grip things, all the more so once things get worn a little down some and edges get rounded!
more aggressive tires look meaner and well, will work better in DEEP mud and or heavy wet snow
but on most streets we travel in winter time, there not as good as many other less aggressive tires are!

and also don't forget that when you have larger lug and larger voids, you actually have a smaller contact patch on the road, so less tire to actually grip things!

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
the tires I got were full price tires, and I had options of a different make at time, so, I don;'t think I got flawed or some lower end tires from Cooper, I doubt t that had anything to do with what tires I got at all .
I either just got BAD one's period from then, some how?

but as of now I am far from happy with them and all the vibration issue's

handling wise, I will admit they do well, on sticking to the road in all weather, from snow, ice to MILD off road use! they do hold and throw gravel a lot more than some other tread designs, but not super bad at it as some others I have owned, !
I how ever will not be buying any more coopers after these are gone!

Sorry I was just poking fun at your Cooper tire ordeal. I've had Coopers off n on since I started driving back in the days of the old OG Cooper Discoverers on trucks and had Cooper Cobra Radials on the hot rod cars. Have always had good luck w them, just like most tire brands. But there's always a bad one here r there. These Evo MTs are for some reason very bargain priced. Not sure of the quality but they look like quality tires.
In my experience siping tires, from solid tread block MT tires to AT tires with factory sipes in them, I've never experienced the cut sipes "wearing" on the edges like you describe. In fact the first set of sipes on my Firestone MT's on the Mega cab are close to worn off and still are crisp almost imperceptible cuts. Here Les Schwabs offers free re-siping on deep lug tires and I'll take em in before winter and have them cut them again. Tread is a 12-13/32nd now so they'll take one more deep cut and perform well this winter.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts