21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
my 2 cents here
any time you ask what is best or the likes
your going to get personal opinions
like what is better ford dodge/ram, chevy/GMC ??
some folks love all them and have GREAT luck with long lasting problem free
and well some don't
then add in, what happens over TIME< productions change, the sources they get supplies in from can change, the molds, the, first ones off after adjustments and the last one's off
ALL will be different

when folks BUY tires and then say they got "X" miles be it 20,000 or 80,000, HOW much time has passed since they bought them
are they still being made the same?
the the DRIVER matters a LOT in things, as does WHERE you live and drive to add up "X" miles
I am not saying I am any expert
but I have owned 3/4 ton trucks for almost the past 40 yrs, I used to average 50,+++ plus miles on the, driving mor or less same places, I have tried about every brand tire and model they make in both mud and all terrain tires
I seldom EVER get past 36-38,000 miles
I rotate, keep air in check, get front end alignments
doesn't matter, roads here EAT tires IMO
I also raced trucks off road, and even cut my own treads at times when I also raced mud bogs, so I DO have some experience in tires some might not have, still, NOT claiming to be an EXPERT!
but know I have a LOT of miles on all sorts of tires in like sized trucks!

I am currently on my third set of tires in 60k on my current truck
first set lasted into the mid 20,00, as did the second set
ALL brand named tires, SO many LOVE and get LONG life out of, my last set was Coopers AT3's
they failed in HALF of the tire's SO called warranty period, < Cooper gave me 50% off to replace with there NEW< so called Improved AT3XLT's
and as of right now they SUCK, they do NOT stay balanced(been balanced now 3 times in 6000 miles and need doing again
they are also wearing funny, I am guessing from going out of balance, and cooper now is ZERO help!
I have OWNED Cooper tires from the PAST and they ALWAYS lasted a LOT longer than these current one's

BUT then again, MANY folks will tell you THEY get LONG life out of THERE"S

SO< when folks recommend anything take with a grain of salt I say
odds of you getting exactly what life they do, maybe SLIM to NONE

and on a side note, on the dura tract's, or WYI!

from what I have read and seen
they make TWO different versions, one is Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake rated in some sizes!
and the other one is NOT
so, watch what you buy, this is also something that happens on other tires as well

this is why some times you will see in spec charts and such, two tires of SAME size, yet have two different part numbers!

also keep in mind more aggressive tread tires tend to offer less traction as they wear than more mild aggressive tread patterns
snow and ice, traction typically works better on the more edges in contact with things, so larger lug aggressive treads don;t work so great in snow and ice, unless snow is DEEP and wet!

look at any snow/.ice specific tire tread to see this!
there also made of softer ribber, to grab, but why snow tires suck in simmer, the heat wears the super fast!

MY suggestion is this, BUY tire that is correct or your truck, weight rating/load rating, and size you wish
and is popular in your AREA< so if you ever need 1 new tire, there available and in stock at most places, get into odd ball brand names and sizes and if you ever have a tire issue. it can be trying to find a replacement in a hurry!
and don't ask how I know this LOL
being 2000 miles from home and have 1 almost NEW tire blow out, and nee replacing and NO one in current town carry's it due to a off popular tire, model/size, sucks!
there tires, there wear and tear items IMO
how low on tread one wishes to push things is personal call
ME<I replace before most, rather new shoe,'s than pay a deductible, , winters and ice here, ain';t worth trying for max mileage!
Thanks for the info, Luckly both the ridge graps and the toyos are very popular in my area, and they arent super agressive so they work in the powder i often have to drive in.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
52k miles is spectacular life. 52k kilometers is not that great, but sure looks like there is alot more tread on the outsides than the middle. Width? 12" wide tires on 8" wide rims will "balloon" just a bit too. Not defending the tires in particular, just explaining that there could be and likely is more to it than just poor tire life.
FWIW, I put a set of Toyo AT2s on my company truck. They were marginal in snow. Had the tires siped and they went from just ok to great in wet coastal snow/packed snow. Duratracs are great snow tires right out of the box but also borderline MT tires.
There is some on the outside but not much until the wear bars, and i hate running tires until they are at the wear bars because they are useless at that point. the rims are 20x10s and the tires where 305s/55s/r20.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Firestone, if you are towing. Don't know why people put these tires down so much. They are really good tires. They came standard on my 3500 and love them. I even tried the Michelin tires and made Discount Tire put the Firestone's back on. That's all I'm going to say.
I had some on my old 98 and loved them, they just aren't good off-road.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
It’s obvious you just don’t want duratracs no matter how well suited they might be. 52k miles on a 8k lb truck is good life. The Toyos and other all terrain you mentioned don’t handle anything slippery well at all. If you winter drive. It would be duratracs hands down. Your fooling yourself if you think you’ll get more life out of Toyo and they will have much less traction in rain at half life than the tracs.

I bought a set of takeoffs for summer running and run duratracs in the winter. Have on my last 3 trucks. Love them.

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
It’s obvious you just don’t want duratracs no matter how well suited they might be. 52k miles on a 8k lb truck is good life. The Toyos and other all terrain you mentioned don’t handle anything slippery well at all. If you winter drive. It would be duratracs hands down. Your fooling yourself if you think you’ll get more life out of Toyo and they will have much less traction in rain at half life than the tracs.

I bought a set of takeoffs for summer running and run duratracs in the winter. Have on my last 3 trucks. Love them.
Agreed

Reactions: limited1

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Being's he's Canadian, I'm hoping he means 52k clicks. Because 52k miles is absolutely phenomenal miles on a set of tires and of no cause to complain.

Reactions: Babin Farms

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
The Toyos and other all terrain you mentioned don’t handle anything slippery well at all. If you winter drive. It would be duratracs hands down.
If you're after a less aggressive set of tires, but still want good snow n ice traction, sipe them. On heavy trucks, I only 2 the interior tread rows and don't cut em all the way out to the edge. Keeps the edges from feathering. But it is a game changer for medicore traction tires. Have driven on many different sets of dedicated snow tires and siping accomplishes 80-90% of what a studless snow tire does, without sacrificing longevity of the tire much if any.

Reactions: Uncle Dobbs

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Being's he's Canadian, I'm hoping he means 52k clicks. Because 52k miles is absolutely phenomenal miles on a set of tires and of no cause to complain.
You could be right. And I’d wager to say some proper inflation would have saved those tires. Anyone I’ve known run all terrain toyo or the like, hated them come winter. I was on the fence thinking of trying a new tire but after speaking to my brother and some friends with heavier trucks. They were running open country and at3. Junk in snow and ice. And slippery pavement was a nightmare once tread was half down.

I picked up the take offs for $1400 cad. And they are the black factory rims that match what I already have.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
If you're after a less aggressive set of tires, but still want good snow n ice traction, sipe them. On heavy trucks, I only 2 the interior tread rows and don't cut em all the way out to the edge. Keeps the edges from feathering. But it is a game changer for medicore traction tires. Have driven on many different sets of dedicated snow tires and siping accomplishes 80-90% of what a studless snow tire does, without sacrificing longevity of the tire much if any.
Yes that’s an option. But imo I’d rather run the stockers in summer and have the aggressive duratracs in winter. We get decent amount of snow. Wiping won’t dig you through snow like a good snow tire will. But on these heavy trucks siping will make a big difference. Thing is I paid less for the duratracs than what toyos were. So why buy a more expensive, less capable tire, and then sipe it.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
You could be right. And I’d wager to say some proper inflation would have saved those tires. Anyone I’ve known run all terrain toyo or the like, hated them come winter. I was on the fence thinking of trying a new tire but after speaking to my brother and some friends with heavier trucks. They were running open country and at3. Junk in snow and ice. And slippery pavement was a nightmare once tread was half down.

I picked up the take offs for $1400 cad. And they are the black factory rims that match what I already have.
Toyo's or Duratrac's are most popular here. I had Duratracs, wouldn't buy them again unless I was to go off the pavement more. Lots of people like the Toyo's, even in winter as the newer ones are winter rated. I'm debating between Toyo AT2's or Coopers AT'3s. I can get Coopers for about a grand plus install at CT on sale and after rebate (spring/fall rebates) - which makes me wonder what quality runs CT is getting. Duratracs are pretty pricey at CT even on sale. Toyo's I would get from my dealer if they can give me a good price, which they have been recently.

Reactions: Uncle Dobbs

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
my 2 cents here
any time you ask what is best or the likes
your going to get personal opinions
like what is better ford dodge/ram, chevy/GMC ??
some folks love all them and have GREAT luck with long lasting problem free
and well some don't
then add in, what happens over TIME< productions change, the sources they get supplies in from can change, the molds, the, first ones off after adjustments and the last one's off
ALL will be different

when folks BUY tires and then say they got "X" miles be it 20,000 or 80,000, HOW much time has passed since they bought them
are they still being made the same?
the the DRIVER matters a LOT in things, as does WHERE you live and drive to add up "X" miles
I am not saying I am any expert
but I have owned 3/4 ton trucks for almost the past 40 yrs, I used to average 50,+++ plus miles on the, driving mor or less same places, I have tried about every brand tire and model they make in both mud and all terrain tires
I seldom EVER get past 36-38,000 miles
I rotate, keep air in check, get front end alignments
doesn't matter, roads here EAT tires IMO
I also raced trucks off road, and even cut my own treads at times when I also raced mud bogs, so I DO have some experience in tires some might not have, still, NOT claiming to be an EXPERT!
but know I have a LOT of miles on all sorts of tires in like sized trucks!

I am currently on my third set of tires in 60k on my current truck
first set lasted into the mid 20,00, as did the second set
ALL brand named tires, SO many LOVE and get LONG life out of, my last set was Coopers AT3's
they failed in HALF of the tire's SO called warranty period, < Cooper gave me 50% off to replace with there NEW< so called Improved AT3XLT's
and as of right now they SUCK, they do NOT stay balanced(been balanced now 3 times in 6000 miles and need doing again
they are also wearing funny, I am guessing from going out of balance, and cooper now is ZERO help!
I have OWNED Cooper tires from the PAST and they ALWAYS lasted a LOT longer than these current one's

BUT then again, MANY folks will tell you THEY get LONG life out of THERE"S

SO< when folks recommend anything take with a grain of salt I say
odds of you getting exactly what life they do, maybe SLIM to NONE

and on a side note, on the dura tract's, or WYI!

from what I have read and seen
they make TWO different versions, one is Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake rated in some sizes!
and the other one is NOT
so, watch what you buy, this is also something that happens on other tires as well

this is why some times you will see in spec charts and such, two tires of SAME size, yet have two different part numbers!

also keep in mind more aggressive tread tires tend to offer less traction as they wear than more mild aggressive tread patterns
snow and ice, traction typically works better on the more edges in contact with things, so larger lug aggressive treads don;t work so great in snow and ice, unless snow is DEEP and wet!

look at any snow/.ice specific tire tread to see this!
there also made of softer ribber, to grab, but why snow tires suck in simmer, the heat wears the super fast!

MY suggestion is this, BUY tire that is correct or your truck, weight rating/load rating, and size you wish
and is popular in your AREA< so if you ever need 1 new tire, there available and in stock at most places, get into odd ball brand names and sizes and if you ever have a tire issue. it can be trying to find a replacement in a hurry!
and don't ask how I know this LOL
being 2000 miles from home and have 1 almost NEW tire blow out, and nee replacing and NO one in current town carry's it due to a off popular tire, model/size, sucks!
there tires, there wear and tear items IMO
how low on tread one wishes to push things is personal call
ME<I replace before most, rather new shoe,'s than pay a deductible, , winters and ice here, ain';t worth trying for max mileage!
Did you mark your tires at the valve and check periodically to see if they slipped on the rim? I had one tire that wouldn’t hold balance and it turned out the kid that mounted the tires put way too much Murphy’s lube on the bead and it would slip under acceleration. Dismount , clean both rim and tire bead and my problem was solved.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Did you mark your tires at the valve and check periodically to see if they slipped on the rim? I had one tire that wouldn’t hold balance and it turned out the kid that mounted the tires put way too much Murphy’s lube on the bead and it would slip under acceleration. Dismount , clean both rim and tire bead and my problem was solved.
yes I did mark them and drove about 450 miles and so far they ain't moved?
and the vibration has gotten worse, so NOT sure what's up with these cooper tires, , I cannot be having re balanced every 500 miles thats not happening

have a shop that adds the rubber beads, but haven't been able to get there, my father just took a stroke and been in ER and hospital last 2 weeks with heart problems
so, tires are on a back burner of sorts till I have time to get something else done, I will keep watching markings I made to see if any movement happens
but I sure WON"T be recommending these Cooper AT3 XLT's to anyone! or buying again!
I am at the point now, that these I think have been the worst tires I ever bought , don't recall ever having any balancing issue's like this in about 50 sets of tires I have bought and run over the yrs
NEW improvement over the OLD AT3's
my ass LOL
OH well, could just be a bad set too I guess, but, old AT3's I had before these sucked too, they lasted less than 25,000 miles and were GONE, thus why I got these new one's, warranty paid for half of them?
on a PLUS< they did handle snow and ice very well and stuck to teh road well in all seasons, just didn;t last long, and now new one's won't stay balanced !!

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
yes I did mark them and drove about 450 miles and so far they ain't moved?
and the vibration has gotten worse, so NOT sure what's up with these cooper tires, , I cannot be having re balanced every 500 miles thats not happening

have a shop that adds the rubber beads, but haven't been able to get there, my father just took a stroke and been in ER and hospital last 2 weeks with heart problems
so, tires are on a back burner of sorts till I have time to get something else done, I will keep watching markings I made to see if any movement happens
but I sure WON"T be recommending these Cooper AT3 XLT's to anyone! or buying again!
I am at the point now, that these I think have been the worst tires I ever bought , don't recall ever having any balancing issue's like this in about 50 sets of tires I have bought and run over the yrs
NEW improvement over the OLD AT3's
my ass LOL
OH well, could just be a bad set too I guess, but, old AT3's I had before these sucked too, they lasted less than 25,000 miles and were GONE, thus why I got these new one's, warranty paid for half of them?
on a PLUS< they did handle snow and ice very well and stuck to teh road well in all seasons, just didn;t last long, and now new one's won't stay balanced !!
I’ve had good luck with mine but I’m down to about 5-6/32 on all 4. I’ll have to check the mileage but I doubt I’ve got 40 K on them. We’ll see what Cooper says in another month or two.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I’ve had good luck with mine but I’m down to about 5-6/32 on all 4. I’ll have to check the mileage but I doubt I’ve got 40 K on them. We’ll see what Cooper says in another month or two.
at about 25,000 miles I was at 2/32's almost level across but a few spots it was at 3/32's and they tried to tell me , tires wearing out uneven was MY fault
I mean a 1/32 apart in a few spots?
come on, NO tire wears exactly even across the whole thing, dam side treads are deeper any how on many tires

any how
Cooper, wouldn;t help me at all, they refused to, but the tire rep that deals with them, and the shop manager, went to bat for me,
they talked the tire rep into offering me the 50% off new tires if I stuck with Cooper OR I could have gone to Falken, and honestly I no wish I would have gone with the Falkens, they start off with deeper tread and have same warranty, and get a ton of good reviews!
but I do think there just a sister company for cooper too, so maybe quality would have just been the same LOL
if I had gone with the Falkens, they would have been almost a 150 bucks cheaper too??
live and learn I guess?

so if your going to try for warranty work, GOOD luck directly dealing with Cooper!!
another reason, I am NOT impressed with Cooper tires!, they didn;t even want to stand behind there own product,, had it not been for there tire rep, I would have been 100% out of pocket on tires that didn;t last HALF of there warranty rating!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Nitto Terra Grappler G2 Tires are a good choice. Got mine from 4wheelonline. They do well on different terrains even on Highways.
I put a set of these on my 1500 4x4 and they now have just over 40k miles on them. They do pretty good overall for an A/T.
This is when they were new.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

If they had gotten 52K miles out of them i would buy another set, but they only have 52k kms on them which is piss poor. Add on top of the poor lifespan one of my sledding buddies has them on his half ton and hes always the on getting stuck on trips, so they haven't done anything to impress me.
And for they toyos, My dad has ran them on his past two 1500s and driving them in the winter they did a excellent job, even when towing the sled trailer. I don't see how the extra 800 pounds my truck weights over his would make a major difference in their handling.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I going too have to look into seeing how much it is to have a set siped, because with the price i can get toyos at it would make more sense economically to do that. Did having them siped effect their off road performance much if at all?

·
Registered
6,434 Posts
Right tools for the right job. Murphy's Soap is not the right tool.

Reactions: Danderson
21 - 40 of 69 Posts