Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought myself a new rig, and need to buy some tires for it as the duratracs on it are completely worn out. It is a 14 CCSB 3500 with a 2" revtek level and 20" rbp rims. My issue is I don't have any experiace with aftermarket tires on a one ton. I've done some research and most reviews say toyo open country A/T 2s would be my best chocie, is that right? Has anyone had any bad experience with them and is there a better option? Any help would be very appreciated.

Edit
I drive a 50/50 split of on/off road conditions, I would like to get roughly 80-90k (kilometres) life span, something that rides decent but is more on the quite side, and fuel economy don't matter too much.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Lots of guys run nitto ridge grapplers. Depends If you're in a cold Climate. If you're on snow And ice I'd recommend going with duratracs again.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
I run Toyo M-55’s on mine, these trucks are heavy and the M-55’s seem to last longer (and I prefer to run snow tires year round). They cost a little more but I think they’re worth it.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Things to consider and or ask yourself
Quality, brand , load range and specs, heat range and speed range of the tires involved.
The truck weight and load, both commonly and at your extremes,
Weather and road surface and % of use for each, like 1% 4x4 off road and 90% off road in a gravel pit.
Towing and weight.
Wear patterns,
Desired ride!
Fuel economy.
Traction and tread pattern.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lots of guys run nitto ridge grapplers. Depends If you're in a cold Climate. If you're on snow And ice I'd recommend going with duratracs again.

I've heard good things about the nittos and their price is very good compared to the toyos, but i had trail graps on my old 98 and those things were something loud, so I'm concerned that the ridge graps are the same way.
I can say for sure I would never buy duratracs, that's what the truck has on it right now and at 52k on them they are super bald, plus they go for a lot more than every other brand.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
^ Because you know how long they lasted and how the previous owner treated his tires on a truck that you just bought? Lol

FWIW, they wear as well as most any aggressive AT/MT tire.

Edit, and from the pic you posted, they look like they were run over-inflated.

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Quality, brand , load range and specs, heat range and speed range of the tires involved.
Weather and road surface and % of use for each, like 1% 4x4 off road and 90% off road in a gravel pit.
Towing and weight.
Wear patterns,
Desired ride!
Fuel economy.
^ This.
The OP's question is like asking "what is the best dinner to have tonight?"
Who knows?
Are you really hungry.
Cholesterol issues?
Dont like fish?
Vegan?
Got $100 to burn or on a Ramen noodle budget?
Love broccoli, but asparagus is in season?
Lactose intolerant?
Can't have bad breath after dinner?

See where I'm headed with this?
And you can't say you want the best of everything Arctic Cat man above listed. You have to choose the combination of use, characteristics and budget that you're after.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
^ This.
The OP's question is like asking "what is the best dinner to have tonight?"
Who knows?
Are you really hungry.
Cholesterol issues?
Dont like fish?
Vegan?
Got $100 to burn or on a Ramen noodle budget?
Love broccoli, but asparagus is in season?
Lactose intolerant?
Can't have bad breath after dinner?

See where I'm headed with this?
And you can't say you want the best of everything Arctic Cat man above listed. You have to choose the combination of use, characteristics and budget that you're after.
But I'm really hungry, want a big steak, tater tots, corn on the cob with a side of garlic bread, couple of beverages and 1qt of ice cream to top it off. Don't care about cholesterol, fish is OK, not a rabbit but don't mind eating them, greens are OK, love milk and have breath mints.

Think I covered it(y)

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've heard good things about the nittos and their price is very good compared to the toyos, but i had trail graps on my old 98 and those things were something loud, so I'm concerned that the ridge graps are the same way.
I can say for sure I would never buy duratracs, that's what the truck has on it right now and at 52k on them they are super bald, plus they go for a lot more than every other brand. View attachment 907417
This truck come from someone who worked in the patch? Possibly on lease roads 75% of its life? I'm gonna say that's a lot of gravel Roads on those tires. But either way for a year round tire and driving on ice and snow 6 months a year they are hands down the best tire for year round. They handle awesome in the winter. Ive had the toyo AT 2 extremes and they were the worst tire. They slipped on wet roads. Idk about the AT 3 tho. Also with duratracs if you watch Canadian tire the have them on sale really cheap at times. My buddy run ridge grapplers and says they're quiet. Anyways just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
I can say for sure I would never buy duratracs, that's what the truck has on it right now and at 52k on them they are super bald, plus they go for a lot more than every other brand. View attachment 907417
The Nitto Ridge Grapplers are very quiet and impress reviewers especially based on their aggressive tread.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ Because you know how long they lasted and how the previous owner treated his tires on a truck that you just bought? Lol

FWIW, they wear as well as most any aggressive AT/MT tire.

Edit, and from the pic you posted, they look like they were run over-inflated.
I know how long they lasted and that they were treat well because i bought it off a family member who owned it since new, and those tires where on it since it left the dealer. They where a bit over inflated because they where rotated front to back without lowering the psi, the other 2 are worn just as bad just evenly.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This truck come from someone who worked in the patch? Possibly on lease roads 75% of its life? I'm gonna say that's a lot of gravel Roads on those tires. But either way for a year round tire and driving on ice and snow 6 months a year they are hands down the best tire for year round. They handle awesome in the winter. Ive had the toyo AT 2 extremes and they were the worst tire. They slipped on wet roads. Idk about the AT 3 tho. Also with duratracs if you watch Canadian tire the have them on sale really cheap at times. My buddy run ridge grapplers and says they're quiet. Anyways just my 2 cents.

it was used as a grocery getter here and there, previous owner lived on a gravel road so it saw a bit of gravel. I heard that the toyos aren't good in winter but I drove my dads rebel with them on it and they handled pretty good for me.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I run Mickey Thompson ATZ P3s I like them 35k ish miles out of them. Not much road noise either

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Towing and weight.
Wear patterns,
Desired ride!
Fuel economy.
I defiantly should've put more details, and i'm going to edit the post here and add them.

·
Registered
602 Posts
my 2 cents here
any time you ask what is best or the likes
your going to get personal opinions
like what is better ford dodge/ram, chevy/GMC ??
some folks love all them and have GREAT luck with long lasting problem free
and well some don't
then add in, what happens over TIME< productions change, the sources they get supplies in from can change, the molds, the, first ones off after adjustments and the last one's off
ALL will be different

when folks BUY tires and then say they got "X" miles be it 20,000 or 80,000, HOW much time has passed since they bought them
are they still being made the same?
the the DRIVER matters a LOT in things, as does WHERE you live and drive to add up "X" miles
I am not saying I am any expert
but I have owned 3/4 ton trucks for almost the past 40 yrs, I used to average 50,+++ plus miles on the, driving mor or less same places, I have tried about every brand tire and model they make in both mud and all terrain tires
I seldom EVER get past 36-38,000 miles
I rotate, keep air in check, get front end alignments
doesn't matter, roads here EAT tires IMO
I also raced trucks off road, and even cut my own treads at times when I also raced mud bogs, so I DO have some experience in tires some might not have, still, NOT claiming to be an EXPERT!
but know I have a LOT of miles on all sorts of tires in like sized trucks!

I am currently on my third set of tires in 60k on my current truck
first set lasted into the mid 20,00, as did the second set
ALL brand named tires, SO many LOVE and get LONG life out of, my last set was Coopers AT3's
they failed in HALF of the tire's SO called warranty period, < Cooper gave me 50% off to replace with there NEW< so called Improved AT3XLT's
and as of right now they SUCK, they do NOT stay balanced(been balanced now 3 times in 6000 miles and need doing again
they are also wearing funny, I am guessing from going out of balance, and cooper now is ZERO help!
I have OWNED Cooper tires from the PAST and they ALWAYS lasted a LOT longer than these current one's

BUT then again, MANY folks will tell you THEY get LONG life out of THERE"S

SO< when folks recommend anything take with a grain of salt I say
odds of you getting exactly what life they do, maybe SLIM to NONE

and on a side note, on the dura tract's, or WYI!

from what I have read and seen
they make TWO different versions, one is Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake rated in some sizes!
and the other one is NOT
so, watch what you buy, this is also something that happens on other tires as well

this is why some times you will see in spec charts and such, two tires of SAME size, yet have two different part numbers!

also keep in mind more aggressive tread tires tend to offer less traction as they wear than more mild aggressive tread patterns
snow and ice, traction typically works better on the more edges in contact with things, so larger lug aggressive treads don;t work so great in snow and ice, unless snow is DEEP and wet!

look at any snow/.ice specific tire tread to see this!
there also made of softer ribber, to grab, but why snow tires suck in simmer, the heat wears the super fast!

MY suggestion is this, BUY tire that is correct or your truck, weight rating/load rating, and size you wish
and is popular in your AREA< so if you ever need 1 new tire, there available and in stock at most places, get into odd ball brand names and sizes and if you ever have a tire issue. it can be trying to find a replacement in a hurry!
and don't ask how I know this LOL
being 2000 miles from home and have 1 almost NEW tire blow out, and nee replacing and NO one in current town carry's it due to a off popular tire, model/size, sucks!
there tires, there wear and tear items IMO
how low on tread one wishes to push things is personal call
ME<I replace before most, rather new shoe,'s than pay a deductible, , winters and ice here, ain';t worth trying for max mileage!

Reactions: Uncle Dobbs

·
Registered
602 Posts
and in case NO one believes me on the Dura trac's
here is off tires web site, on some sizes
here is link and info I pasted, there are more sizes, these are just some of them!

LT275/70R18
125/122R E
Not Rated For Severe Snow​
None​
3,640 lbs​
80 psi​
18/32"​
55 lbs​
7-8.5"​
8"​
11"​
9"​
33.2"​
627​
US
255/55R19
111Q XL
2,403 lbs​
50 psi​
16/32"​
41 lbs​
7-9"​
8"​
10.4"​
9"​
30"​
DE
255/65R19
114Q XL
2,601 lbs​
50 psi​
/32"​
42 lbs​
0-0"​
8.4"​
DE
255/55R20
110Q XL
2,337 lbs​
50 psi​
16/32"​
41 lbs​
7-9"​
8"​
10.4"​
9"​
31.3"​
674​
DE
255/60R20
113Q XL
2,535 lbs​
50 psi​
/32"​
43 lbs​
0-0"​
8.7"​
DE

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
it was used as a grocery getter here and there, previous owner lived on a gravel road so it saw a bit of gravel. I heard that the toyos aren't good in winter but I drove my dads rebel with them on it and they handled pretty good for me.
52k miles is spectacular life. 52k kilometers is not that great, but sure looks like there is alot more tread on the outsides than the middle. Width? 12" wide tires on 8" wide rims will "balloon" just a bit too. Not defending the tires in particular, just explaining that there could be and likely is more to it than just poor tire life.
FWIW, I put a set of Toyo AT2s on my company truck. They were marginal in snow. Had the tires siped and they went from just ok to great in wet coastal snow/packed snow. Duratracs are great snow tires right out of the box but also borderline MT tires.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Firestone, if you are towing. Don't know why people put these tires down so much. They are really good tires. They came standard on my 3500 and love them. I even tried the Michelin tires and made Discount Tire put the Firestone's back on. That's all I'm going to say.

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
my 2 cents here
any time you ask what is best or the likes
your going to get personal opinions
like what is better ford dodge/ram, chevy/GMC ??
some folks love all them and have GREAT luck with long lasting problem free
and well some don't
then add in, what happens over TIME< productions change, the sources they get supplies in from can change, the molds, the, first ones off after adjustments and the last one's off
ALL will be different

when folks BUY tires and then say they got "X" miles be it 20,000 or 80,000, HOW much time has passed since they bought them
are they still being made the same?
the the DRIVER matters a LOT in things, as does WHERE you live and drive to add up "X" miles
I am not saying I am any expert
but I have owned 3/4 ton trucks for almost the past 40 yrs, I used to average 50,+++ plus miles on the, driving mor or less same places, I have tried about every brand tire and model they make in both mud and all terrain tires
I seldom EVER get past 36-38,000 miles
I rotate, keep air in check, get front end alignments
doesn't matter, roads here EAT tires IMO
I also raced trucks off road, and even cut my own treads at times when I also raced mud bogs, so I DO have some experience in tires some might not have, still, NOT claiming to be an EXPERT!
but know I have a LOT of miles on all sorts of tires in like sized trucks!

I am currently on my third set of tires in 60k on my current truck
first set lasted into the mid 20,00, as did the second set
ALL brand named tires, SO many LOVE and get LONG life out of, my last set was Coopers AT3's
they failed in HALF of the tire's SO called warranty period, < Cooper gave me 50% off to replace with there NEW< so called Improved AT3XLT's
and as of right now they SUCK, they do NOT stay balanced(been balanced now 3 times in 6000 miles and need doing again
they are also wearing funny, I am guessing from going out of balance, and cooper now is ZERO help!
I have OWNED Cooper tires from the PAST and they ALWAYS lasted a LOT longer than these current one's

BUT then again, MANY folks will tell you THEY get LONG life out of THERE"S

SO< when folks recommend anything take with a grain of salt I say
odds of you getting exactly what life they do, maybe SLIM to NONE

and on a side note, on the dura tract's, or WYI!

from what I have read and seen
they make TWO different versions, one is Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake rated in some sizes!
and the other one is NOT
so, watch what you buy, this is also something that happens on other tires as well

this is why some times you will see in spec charts and such, two tires of SAME size, yet have two different part numbers!

also keep in mind more aggressive tread tires tend to offer less traction as they wear than more mild aggressive tread patterns
snow and ice, traction typically works better on the more edges in contact with things, so larger lug aggressive treads don;t work so great in snow and ice, unless snow is DEEP and wet!

look at any snow/.ice specific tire tread to see this!
there also made of softer ribber, to grab, but why snow tires suck in simmer, the heat wears the super fast!

MY suggestion is this, BUY tire that is correct or your truck, weight rating/load rating, and size you wish
and is popular in your AREA< so if you ever need 1 new tire, there available and in stock at most places, get into odd ball brand names and sizes and if you ever have a tire issue. it can be trying to find a replacement in a hurry!
and don't ask how I know this LOL
being 2000 miles from home and have 1 almost NEW tire blow out, and nee replacing and NO one in current town carry's it due to a off popular tire, model/size, sucks!
there tires, there wear and tear items IMO
how low on tread one wishes to push things is personal call
ME<I replace before most, rather new shoe,'s than pay a deductible, , winters and ice here, ain';t worth trying for max mileage!
WOW, Imagine if it were something more important than tires, You could have written a book.

·
Registered
6,428 Posts
Firestone, if you are towing. Don't know why people put these tires down so much. They are really good tires. They came standard on my 3500 and love them. I even tried the Michelin tires and made Discount Tire put the Firestone's back on. That's all I'm going to say.
Me too.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts