Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simply put, whats the best spacer level and why? I'm not looking to go as expensive as new springs. What shocks do I need for a leveling kit?

·
Registered
200 Posts
I got the Hell Bent Steel 2 inch level kit (under a hundred bucks) and replaced the shocks with Bilstiens 5100's on all four corners, shop around for the shocks, you can find them cheaper than what most venders can sell them for.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got the Hell Bent Steel 2 inch level kit (under a hundred bucks) and replaced the shocks with Bilstiens 5100's on all four corners, shop around for the shocks, you can find them cheaper than what most venders can sell them for.
Where is the best place to look?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
I am satisfied with the Skyjacker polyurethane which claim to ride smoother and quieter than steel spacers. I have put @50k miles since installing them with zero issues. But I should have gone with Carlo replacement springs. They do not cost much more. I just did not know at the time.

·
Registered
741 Posts
carli, thuren, synergy and bds all make replacement coils 3 in

·
Registered
45 Posts
-2" level. HBS (Hell bent steel) great piece. and runs ya about $80 after shipping.
-3" i would go carli or thuren. (commuter or starter kits) Both are great. they run a little more $ but you get what you pay for, I promise you that. If your looking to save some $ (again, you get what you pay for.) Blisten 5100's are less expensive than most shocks (fox, etc) but their great for the trucks and hold up solid. They will still be a little bit rough with bumps or uneven roads but still better than stock shocks. Just make sure you get the correct length for the 2" level. makes all the difference. Thats my .02

·
Registered
805 Posts
I installed a 2.5" spacer upfront and 2" blocks in rear about 4 years ago and I have stock shocks. It's do able but I would really like some good shocks, just can't be that important to me if its been this way for 4 years already

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I just ordered a hell bent steel 2.5 lift with the sway bar drop brackets for 119 shipped on their website. Ordered them Friday and they will be here in the morning from Utah to tennessee

Personally, I wouldn't install the drop brackets. Their spacers are really good but when I had their drop brackets they kept breaking. My passenger side on the first set broke completely in two and the driver's side was cracked when I noticed it. HBS sent me another set and within a few months one of them broke as well. They sent me a third set and I decided not to install them.

I'm a big fan of HBS. I had their spacers on my truck before installing Carli coils and I still have their steering box stabilizer kit. The spacers and the stabilizer are very well made, but I think the drop brackets aren't strong enough for the stresses of a twisting truck. They're also not really needed.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Regarding shocks, when I installed my HBS 2.5" spacers I kept my stock shocks. They bottomed out really easy though. Even driving off of a 6" curb. I replaced with Bilstein 5100's all the way around and have since replaced with the Carli/Bilstein Back Country shocks (5160's???).

I recommend replacing the shocks if you do any off road driving at all.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You should probably start looking into an adjustable trac bar..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yea I was thinking that. That was the hardest part of the lift. Trying to move it over for fitment. Only took 1.5 hrs. That took 30 min alone being just me and a big pry bar. Who makes good track links? I would like to stay away from spherical if all possible. Almost could use another 1-2 inch in the back after bringing the front up.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So the next question is... Is it worth it to spend the extra money on coils? Why?

·
Registered
116 Posts
I picked up a adjustable track bar from top gun customz and put it on. The steering is a whole lot more responsive now from that. Luckily top gun is a little less than 15 min from the house so I didn't have to wait on one.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts