Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gearing down my '17 from the 3.42's to 3.73's to better tow our fiver. The tech I spoke with who does a lot of swaps for Jeeps recommended Richmond's over OEM parts.
Any input either way or a different maker would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
I am gearing down my '17 from the 3.42's to 3.73's to better tow our fiver. The tech I spoke with who does a lot of swaps for Jeeps recommended Richmond's over OEM parts.
Any input either way or a different maker would be appreciated.
Thanks
In my world I always heard good things about Yukon Gear or Randy’s Ring and Pinion

·
Registered
13,721 Posts
Does anyone besides AAM even make gears for the rear axle???

And, for the expense, the 3.73's just won't make that much difference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does anyone besides AAM even make gears for the rear axle???

And, for the expense, the 3.73's just won't make that much difference.
Yeah, only about 9% lower, but with the 35" tires I have, it will get me back to where I was with 33" tires. I'd go 4.10's, but I think that would be too low on the highway when not towing.
Easier on the tranny too.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yeah, only about 9% lower, but with the 35" tires I have, it will get me back to where I was with 33" tires. I'd go 4.10's, but I think that would be too low on the highway when not towing.
Easier on the tranny too.
Are you saying the 3.73’s will be easier on the transmission than the 3.42’s? If so, you are correct.
If you are saying that the 3.73’s are easier on the transmission than the 4.10’s, this is wrong. The more gear reduction you have after the transmission, the easier it is in the transmission. The more mechanical advantage there is after the tranny, the less strain on it.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
But it’s a perfect and correct solution if he doesn’t desire to go back to stock tires. His truck, his decision

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
4.10 with 35s is fine with an auto. My stock 32" tire 18 Aisin 4.10 dually turns same rpm at 70mph as my 34" tire 06 G56 3.73. RPM goes up slower above 70 with the auto because of the steeper OD ratio. To meet 35s would be perfect on the 18.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

·
Go for Broke
8,078 Posts
Nitro gears makes a complete gear swap kit for our trucks

·
Registered
568 Posts
Just did oem 4.10’s on my 13 3500 that had 3.42’s stock. Absolutely zero gear whine, and zero issues after towing fairly heavy (17k) with out a full 1000 mile easy break in. Got to around 6-700 miles before I towed with em. Now 7-800 additional miles while towing, no issues. I thought I read somewhere that the oem gears are heat treated, making an easy break in less critical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
178 Posts
Just did oem 4.10’s on my 13 3500 that had 3.42’s stock. Absolutely zero gear whine, and zero issues after towing fairly heavy (17k) with out a full 1000 mile easy break in. Got to around 6-700 miles before I towed with em. Now 7-800 additional miles while towing, no issues. I thought I read somewhere that the oem gears are heat treated, making an easy break in less critical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All gear sets must be heat treated after the gears are cut...........that is the way it is done.
1. Cut gears to match ring and pinion.
2. Heat treat to harden.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I regeared mine to 4.10 with 35's love the way it pulls. The shop recommended AAM gears. I asked about using Yukon as thats the gears they used in my Jeep. The mechanic said AAM would be much quieter than Yukon in the truck. Thats what I went with and 26,000 miles and no issues. Had truck regeared at 500 miles.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I also re-geared for my 35's so that I could better pull a loaded hay trailer, and just generally go easier on the transmission. I went with Yukon 4.11's in my truck, and love the way it pulls. Just hauled a load of steel pipe, about 14k pounds, back for 3.5 hours and it was a night and day difference. Never did the truck feel like I had to put my foot down to climb a hill, and starting from a dead stop felt so much better on the transmission.

I don't think the change from 3.42's would justify the price of re-gearing. I can try to send you a video of how it shifts and goes through the gears with the 4.11's if you're curious, but personally, that's exactly how a cummins was designed to be run. Remember also that any big hills you go up, you will have to go down as well, and the exhaust brake is much more effective with the new gearing as well.

An additional point to be made, but with the Yukon gears, you will need a new carrier for the front that has a different deck height. I called Randy's to verify when I did my install as I wasn't sure if the shop was trying to pull a quick one, but they validated. You may want to check and see if AAM gears require the same thing, as if they do not, that will save you about $400 versus my Yukon install.

Let me know.

·
Registered
877 Posts
My '17 with the Aisin and 20" factory wheels has 3.42 because it is SRW. I see now on the '19s you have a choice again. I pull a 39 foot 5'er @ about 16k pounds. I haven't noticed an issue yet, but I also haven't towed it anywhere but the plains so I haven't challenged the truck on any mountain grades (yet). Would a move to 4.11 be advised/beneficial to me?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts