Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 ram 3500. It is used to tow horse trailers on a day to day basis. Right now it has a 2" spacer 2" coils and controll arms meant for the 2" lift. Needless to say it rides like hell and steers funny. It also has airbags in it. Looking for the best 4" or so lift, that won't hurt towing ability and won't take away the air bags. Any reccomendations?

I looked into Kore and Carli, they dont replace controll arms it looks like and they only have 3" of lift. My wheels are 4.5 BP.

·
Registered
492 Posts
If u need over 4 inches of lift I like the 4.5 inch fabtech with bilsteins or dirt logic shocks..

·
2,248 Posts
Actually both Carli and Thuren sell control arms as an upgrade for their suspension systems. The rear air bags you have are a big contributor to the rough ride. The only air bags that dont kill the ride right now are the Carli LT airbags. A good Thuren or Carli 2.0 system with control arms and carli air bags and full leafs would be one of the best rides out there. Not the cheapest, but the best quality, performance and the best ride.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have to look into that. This is going on my dads truck. Sounds exspensive though, probably around what, $5k?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Well not sure as for Thuren's "2.0" kit being he doesn't have kits or their prices on his site as of yet, but I got my "kit" (if you want to call it that) which consisted of track bar, springs, and minipacks for around 1k. Add some shocks, sway bar drops, full leafs, and I imagine the total goes up to 2k+ pending what other bits you'd like.

Carli's 2.0 kit Carli Suspension - Dodge Ram Performance 2.0 Suspension System is $2750 on the site, but it has some nice goodies. Such as limiting straps, progressive spring pack, and res. shocks.

Carli's Airbags here http://www.thecarlisuspension.com/dodge-ram/components/longtravelairbags.html are $850 on the site, but being they are labeled as "long travel" I'm not sure how they would translate into towing assistance for a truck with their kits being the back end is only raised about 1" with the Carli kit.

·
Registered
303 Posts
What control arms are on there?
You may be able to use the ones you have.

Generally speaking, springs and shocks contribute the most to ride quality.
So you want a setup that has these dialed-in.

Carli's Airbags...are labeled as "long travel" I'm not sure how they would translate into towing assistance for a truck with their kits being the back end is only raised about 1" with the Carli kit.
Not sure I follow what are you trying to say here...?
With bags, you don't need to raise the back of the truck. Unloaded, the truck should basically sit level, and loaded, you add air to bring the truck back to level.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'm saying that with the bags labeled as "long travel" I don't know if they are designed to work with the full leaf packs or just with the minipacks/stock packs in the rear.

·
Registered
10,763 Posts
I'm saying that with the bags labeled as "long travel" I don't know if they are designed to work with the full leaf packs or just with the minipacks/stock packs in the rear.
I'm running the LT's with minipaks. Formally I had Firestone Ride Rites. The improvement in ride is dramatic. They'd articulate even more with full leafs. All the hardware is stout and powdercoated. The Carli hardware is the only thing under the Dodge that is not rusting. Need to get out the wire brush and paint soon.

·
2,248 Posts
Well not sure as for Thuren's "2.0" kit being he doesn't have kits or their prices on his site as of yet, but I got my "kit" (if you want to call it that) which consisted of track bar, springs, and minipacks for around 1k. Add some shocks, sway bar drops, full leafs, and I imagine the total goes up to 2k+ pending what other bits you'd like.

Carli's 2.0 kit Carli Suspension - Dodge Ram Performance 2.0 Suspension System is $2750 on the site, but it has some nice goodies. Such as limiting straps, progressive spring pack, and res. shocks.

Carli's Airbags here Long Travel Air Bags for Dodge Ram Suspension - Air Assist For Dodge Ram are $850 on the site, but being they are labeled as "long travel" I'm not sure how they would translate into towing assistance for a truck with their kits being the back end is only raised about 1" with the Carli kit.
Thuren''s 2.0 Fox kit will be cheaper and is available. He doesn't show any "kits" on his site. Give him a call or email for pricing and capability. Also, Carli's 2.0 kit comes with minipacks, you can upgrade to full leafs. The same goes for Thuren, they will taylor the system for you and your needs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts