Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I loaned my truck to a buddy to pull a loaded, double car trailer to move with. I told him he needed to watch the EGT's and if they hit 1300, back out of it until it was below there. He got 1.5 hours down the road and called me and said the truck was knocking and he was at a rest area. I drove over and listened to it and sure enough, it had a definite knock. I thought maybe I had an injector over fueling, so I pulled the valve cover and didn't see anything. I checked cylinder temps and all were within 20 degrees of each other. I started disconnecting injectors one cylinder at a time and not change in the knock.
I don't have a place big enough to work on it and besides it being over 100 here in NW Florida every day, it rains damn near every afternoon, so I had it towed to a shop recommended by a buddy and he started troubleshooting. He had it on a lift and troubleshooting and called and said it sounded like it was in the bellhousing. I was skeptical, but I wasn't there. Long story shorter, he pulled the trans and found pieces. I stopped by to look at the clutch (South Bend Dual Disk) and there were parts there, but they were just the rubber dampers and the clutch looked Ok. I asked if he'd started it and he hadn't because of the clutch hydraulics, but he said he'd let it set there for an hour idling and it hadn't made a sound, which led him to the clutch. I told him I'd disconnected the clutch switch, so he got a ladder and climbed up and fired it up...it clattered on the initial start and then quit...gone, completely. He touched the throttle and it knocked...pulled injectors, nothing abnormal. Borescoped cylinders, nothing. So I told him to pull it. I stopped today and he had it out with the head off. #6 piston has about 1/4 inch free play up and down...sooo...I'm suspecting Rod bearing.
I'm taking tomorrow off work to go down and pull it down. Either way, I've made the decision it's getting a rebuild, but I can't seem to find a place to buy a factory crank? I can find rods...hell, rock auto had them. I find Mahle cranks and I'm unclear as to whether like the pistons, Mahle makes them for cummins?
I've been building race engines for cars and bikes for over 40 years, so know what I'm doing when it comes to the build, and have found a local machine shop that seems competent. Everything I've read says the stock bottom ends are more than strong enough for a street truck that does occasional towing of around 16K in a 5th wheel RV toy hauler.
My plan is to put the stock bottom end in it with ARP hardware. Factory pistons, either hamilton or colt cam with springs, fire ring the heads, ARP 625 studs, 80% over/150hp injectors with a small set of twins.
Drag racing isn't exactly feasible with a G56, and sled pulling isn't in my future. I just want a bullet proof street engine with better mileage than stock.
Open to all suggestions.

Jamie

·
Trying to learn
5,841 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts