Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I’ve done a lot of research but I can’t make a decision. it’s getting close to replace my tires within the next few months my truck tows a 2 car trailer daily right now I have toyo HTs (my second set using them and I love how they handle and ride and wear) on it but I’m looking for a more aggressive thread being this truck is going to become the back up towpig I’ve been looking at the nitto ridge grapplers but from my research on the forum it’s got a bunch of mixed reviews I like to get about 50k out of my tires even though I change them about every 40k. Is there any other tires you guys would recommend for what i want and do with the truck?

Tire size is LT275/65R18

Thanks,
Chris

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,092 Posts
back when i was towing heavy often, in my 3rd gen, i moved to a 19.5"wheel with 285/65 bridgestone m729's,
while it was a srw. that was one of the best towing combo's i had with that truck, until i turned it into a dually.

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,924 Posts
Maybe the Cooper AT3 XLTs? That’s if you want more of an AT tread. Have you looked at the Nitto Duragraps? I’m not a Nitto fan, but they intrigue me. I see too much snow to go there, but they should work well in Florida?

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
back when i was towing heavy often, in my 3rd gen, i moved to a 19.5"wheel with 285/65 bridgestone m729's,
while it was a srw. that was one of the best towing combo's i had with that truck, until i turned it into a dually.
I thought about that route but being this truck is going to turn into the back up for when I feel like using it to tow or only need to pick up 1-2 cars so essentially it’ll be back as my daily and my dually will be the tow pig once it’s done being gone through

Maybe the Cooper AT3 XLTs? That’s if you want more of an AT tread. Have you looked at the Nitto Duragraps? I’m not a Nitto fan, but they intrigue me. I see too much snow to go there, but they should work well in Florida?
I don’t need the aggressive thread I just want it for ascetics reasons but want ones that will handle the weight for when it tows occasionally. Yes I looked at them and they have almost the same thread/look as the toyo HTs so I skipped over them. Also the bfg ko2’s do have my interest mainly due to the warranty they come with but I can’t really find any reviews from people putting them on HD trucks

Reactions: elephantrider

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,924 Posts
I don’t need the aggressive thread I just want it for ascetics reasons but want ones that will handle the weight for when it tows occasionally. Yes I looked at them and they have almost the same thread/look as the toyo HTs so I skipped over them. Also the bfg ko2’s do have my interest mainly due to the warranty they come with but I can’t really find any reviews from people putting them on HD trucks
If you can’t find any reviews from people on BFG KOs on these trucks, you haven’t looked very hard. They are HORRENDOUS on these trucks. They wear very quickly, and are the leading cause of death wobble. I’m a big fan of BFG tires, and always have been, but I would never run them or anything heavier than a 1/2 ton. They just don’t stand up. Go to Thuren Fabrications website and you can read all about why not to run these tires (Don Thuren is a Dodge suspension and steering expert).

Based on what you are saying you want, I’d look at the Coopers I mentioned above, or the new Toyo AT III. The Toyo’s are brand new though, so not much data on them as a heavy hauler yet. If you really want aesthetics and a tough tire, the Toyo MT is great.

·
hydraulic lifter crew
12,092 Posts
i'd 2nd staying away from the bfg ko's on these trucks. i ran 1 set on that 3rd gen i mentioned, and they lasted all of 20k miles,
and that last few thousand miles was stretching it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reviews I saw on the bfg kos was for the original and not the ko2’s but then again when it comes to certain things I’ve found myself unintentionally skipping over it. MTs are a bit too aggressive for how I use my truck only place they’d really shine would be at the boat dock on busy weekends when the ramp is wet from all the people pulling in and out of the water traction wise. Other main thing with MTs is that I know it makes it ride rougher cause of the blocks being even as a daily my truck still does at a minimum 75% of highway driving noise wise I could care less I can just turn the radio up a little louder to drown it out lol. I do like the looks of those coopers you mentioned I’m definitely going to add those to the list of serious options for me. Also I looked at the Arturo trail blade XTs I really like the look of them but can’t find reviews of it being put on any type of HD truck

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,924 Posts
@squigi1 : I would (personally) avoid off brand tires on a truck this heavy. I see lots of people try to save a couple of $100 bills, buying cheap tires, but I wouldn’t risk on a 8,000 pound truck that even occasionally tows heavier than 2-3,000 pounds. It’s just not worth it. Especially in hot climates where tire temps will be at their highest. Toyo, Cooper, Nitto, Firestone and a couple of other big names are all I will spend my money on. Look at the ST Maxx from Cooper as well. They are what I ran on my 2014 for the last two sets. I got over 50,000 out of each set loaded to 12,000 lbs and frankly, I drive like an @$$. Well, not like an idiot, but I do drive faster than a lot of people, and my miles are heavy and on tight twisty mountain highways.

Reactions: Jimmy N.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@squigi1 : I would (personally) avoid off brand tires on a truck this heavy. I see lots of people try to save a couple of $100 bills, buying cheap tires, but I wouldn’t risk on a 8,000 pound truck that even occasionally tows heavier than 2-3,000 pounds. It’s just not worth it. Especially in hot climates where tire temps will be at their highest. Toyo, Cooper, Nitto, Firestone and a couple of other big names are all I will spend my money on. Look at the ST Maxx from Cooper as well. They are what I ran on my 2014 for the last two sets. I got over 50,000 out of each set loaded to 12,000 lbs and frankly, I drive like an @$$. Well, not like an idiot, but I do drive faster than a lot of people, and my miles are heavy and on tight twisty mountain highways.
Oh no believe me I’m not doing it to save money I believe tires is one of the few things on any vehicle you cannot be cheap with unless you’re willing to risk your life or others on the road which is definitely not worth it to me. I was curious about the Arturo’s being I’ve been hearing more and more them on a lot of vehicle sites and articles and on YouTube. I’m personally a creature of habit and if something works I don’t like to change it so being I now have the chance to change it up a little due to truck duties changing and tires for our trucks is basically a whole new world to me lol. When it’s not hooked up to the trailer I do like to party with my truck as you can see from the mods on it it’s kinda hard not to lol but my one and only fear with the tires is picking ones that look great but suck like the bfg ko/2’s well it’s a good thing with this safer at home order I can do some more research on some more tires. So right now the front runners for me with current research is the cooper at3 XLTs and nitto ridge grapplers but the reviews for as they wear down are a bit concerning especially for the mileage. I will definitely look into the st maxx’s from cooper just from the mileage you got out of them alone cause that certainly has peaked my interest lol

Btw I appreciate all the imput from you guys and bearing with me with my grammar being English isn’t my first language so thanks for being able to understand my horrid grammar

·
Registered
266 Posts
Toyo M-55’s. That’s what I’m running and I really like them (and they do come in that size).

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so after a few days of research I’ve decided I’m gonna go with the cooper at3 XLTs from its warranty alone is a no brained for me. Price is about the same as the toyo HTs I normally get so that was another factor too

Reactions: s10010001

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Good lookin tire, I’ll give them a look when I’m ready.

I “want” new tires now, my 285/75 are not so nice with all the highway I’m doing now days. I’m ready for 265/70 again I think. Strongly considering a second set of rims and putting highway tires on. Ow before my ATs are trash. Swapping from time to time isn’t so bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,924 Posts
Btw I appreciate all the imput from you guys and bearing with me with my grammar being English isn’t my first language so thanks for being able to understand my horrid grammar.
There is nothing wrong with your grammar! If English isn’t your first language, you can’t tell. What is your mother tongue? Your grammar is better than 90% of forum people. I’m used to trying to read things like “im prolly gonna axe u about ur breaks ect”.

Let us know how you like the Coopers!

·
Registered
10,435 Posts
We can only imagine what absence from school is going to do to the young people who type in code already.
In the US they're saying students are only getting 50% education.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is nothing wrong with your grammar! If English isn’t your first language, you can’t tell. What is your mother tongue? Your grammar is better than 90% of forum people. I’m used to trying to read things like “im prolly gonna axe u about ur breaks ect”.

Let us know how you like the Coopers!
Well that is great to know being a lot of people complain about my lack of commas and periods which they’re probably just grammar nazis lol and my mother tongue is Italian I speak perfect English and write it perfect outside of commas and periods hahah.

Sadly I didn’t get the tires yet still using the stock wheels being my 99 dually decided to demand my time and money and having to be a smart and responsible adult and business owner I have to wait to get them even though I could impulse buy them and put them on one of my cards but I’ll be smart and responsible and not do that lmao

2,647 Posts

·
Registered
10,435 Posts
I worked 17 years in a sketchy part of my city and that was pretty much the norm.

·
Renaissance Redneck BCVP
3,924 Posts
I’m “prolly” going to be banned from ih8mud (Land Cruiser Forum) for calling out a “supermoderator” using the “word” prolly! At least I gave him the double flip off emoji too...

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Little bit late but on Wednesday I finally got them put on the truck (had no choice being a bubble formed on my stock wheels which I think is a defect on the toyos once they hit 45k but that’s another story) and now have 1k mikes on them 900 of which pulling my 2 car trailer and so far I love them especially in the rain and wet roads I especially love how they look I thought the toyos looked great but these look phenomenal to me (might also be being I finally got my wheels back on and no longer using the stock wheels) but that might just be a little biased from me :p I’m gonna try to upload some pics hopefully it works

1 - 19 of 19 Posts