Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
To give you an answer before any more goofy replies ... Most people I know use Rotella 15W40 ...

·
Registered
184 Posts
I use Rotella T6 synthetic

·
Premium Member
4,332 Posts
Whats the best oil to use in 12v cummins??
Any quality name brand diesel 15-40 oil with a good quality filter will be everything that motor ever needs. You can use additives like Lucas but it is really not needed.

·
Premium Member
4,332 Posts
I use zink additive for flat tappets and T6 oil.
Diesel oil still has a lot of zinc and some companies are switching to titanium and apparently it is even better just more expensive. But still a little extra zinc sauce doesn’t hurt a thing.

·
Registered
17,230 Posts
Whichever is on sale that meets API specs for diesel engine oil. Your engine will last just as long using Wally World Super Tech as it will on any other. Don't let the hype of promotional material or the brand loyalty of a few to cloud your common sense. Motor oil these days, IMO, is a commodity, just like diesel fuel and sugar.

Some independent testing, choose for yourself. Remember this article is 7 years old, so additive packages could be different.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.genosgarage.com/downloads/TechPDF/TDR76_LubeOil2012.pdf

Your focus should be on the filtration, both oil and fuel. There are some really poor filters being sold that have name brands stamped on them. The Mopar filter sold in WM is a medium quality filter. Although this is an old article, the facts remain the same.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/cdn.genosgarage.com/downloads/TechPDF/TDR71_LubeOilFiltration.pdf

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Power Driven Diesel full synthetic
And
Fleetguard LF9028 filter with built in bypass filtration

Done.

·
The Uppity 12v Admin
8,252 Posts
Eh. Seen enough issues with synthetic motor oils that I'm not keen on it. Tends to develop a varnish layer. I run plain-jane Mobil 1 (best additive package in the SN class) in everything gasoline. Leaves minor varnish deposits in area where oil flow is stagnant/non-existant. Last place I worked ran Duratec ES in a fleet of Cummins L-series CNG engines, this stuff developed a nasty varnish layer on any surface that wasn't an active contact area, including the pushrods and pushrod holes. Doing valve adjustments on them, you could peel strips of it out of the valve cover like beef jerky. Could have been something with that specific oil formulation, the composition of the crankcase gasses in those engines, or the interaction between the two, but I have no inclination to try it in a diesel engine I care about. FWIW, the few diesel engines we had there ran Vecton (synthetic blend) and never had issues with varnish. They also got about 1/10th of the hours on them that the gaseous engines did.

Anymore, the differences between conventional and synthetic base stocks don't really have an impact on the performance of the oil. However, the conventional vs synthetic debate will never reach a resolution no matter what data or anecdotal evidence is provided.

Regardless of one's stance on conventional vs synthetic, I would advise staying away from over-the-counter CK-4 oils as they don't have the anti-wear protection of the earlier CJ-4 and CI-4 oils no matter what claims the marketeers are spouting. I plan to run a ZDDP-boosted 15w-40 conventional in my new engine with dual LF9028s remotely mounted. Can't say the oil brand because I work for them, but if you make use of certain information under my avatar, I'm sure you can figure it out. I also ran this oil before I worked for them and would continue using it if the company and I were to part ways.

The ZDDP-boosted oils are generally described as racing oils because that's the broadest market for them, but they are also a perfect match for our old trucks without exhaust aftertreatment devices.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Don't let Will see this.
Power Driven Diesel Synthetic all the way for me!
But, it's to each his own.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Eh. Seen enough issues with synthetic motor oils that I'm not keen on it. Tends to develop a varnish layer. I run plain-jane Mobil 1 (best additive package in the SN class) in everything gasoline. Leaves minor varnish deposits in area where oil flow is stagnant/non-existant. Last place I worked ran Duratec ES in a fleet of Cummins L-series CNG engines, this stuff developed a nasty varnish layer on any surface that wasn't an active contact area, including the pushrods and pushrod holes. Doing valve adjustments on them, you could peel strips of it out of the valve cover like beef jerky. Could have been something with that specific oil formulation, the composition of the crankcase gasses in those engines, or the interaction between the two, but I have no inclination to try it in a diesel engine I care about. FWIW, the few diesel engines we had there ran Vecton (synthetic blend) and never had issues with varnish. They also got about 1/10th of the hours on them that the gaseous engines did.

Anymore, the differences between conventional and synthetic base stocks don't really have an impact on the performance of the oil. However, the conventional vs synthetic debate will never reach a resolution no matter what data or anecdotal evidence is provided.

Regardless of one's stance on conventional vs synthetic, I would advise staying away from over-the-counter CK-4 oils as they don't have the anti-wear protection of the earlier CJ-4 and CI-4 oils no matter what claims the marketeers are spouting. I plan to run a ZDDP-boosted 15w-40 conventional in my new engine with dual LF9028s remotely mounted. Can't say the oil brand because I work for them, but if you make use of certain information under my avatar, I'm sure you can figure it out. I also ran this oil before I worked for them and would continue using it if the company and I were to part ways.

The ZDDP-boosted oils are generally described as racing oils because that's the broadest market for them, but they are also a perfect match for our old trucks without exhaust aftertreatment devices.
Is there an oil additive that would help this problem with over the counter stuff??

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
ZDDP additive. Plenty to choose from.
I guess that's why Will and Todd choose to put ZDDP in their oils including their Synthetic.

I love it. Do you like the Power Driven oils?

·
The Uppity 12v Admin
8,252 Posts
I like that oil a lot. I have UOA reports on my desk from 8 different test vehicles that all showed a significant decreasing trend in wear metals after switching to it from CK-4 oils. When my engine goes back together, I'm going to pull samples at regular intervals (after break-in), just keep the oil topped off, and see how long it lasts until the TBN drops below 3. It'll be a fresh engine so wear metals and oil consumption will be higher than normal, at least over the first few samples, but I'm going to beat on it pretty hard the first 500 miles to seat the rings as best I can before the first oil change.

When I first switched to it on my stock engine shortly after the oil came out (with 300-ish k), it actually changed the sound of the engine. Not only that, but to such a degree my wife noticed and said out loud that the engine sounded different. This is coming from a lady who (despite many other amazing qualities) will drive a car around for 6 months without noticing the brakes doing the old metal-on-metal routine.

The sub-optimal thing with additive bottles in an over the counter oil is that you don't know how much actual concentration is right without sending in a sample of mixed oil. Then, how do you know the additive was completely homogenized into the oil? Often times the instructions on the bottle will have you over-dose it, ZDDP concentration is a diminishing returns scenario, and I have heard (from chemical engineers) that too much can be harmful, though I haven't done my own research on the matter.

·
The Uppity 12v Admin
8,252 Posts
I ran it for what turned out to be a short term OCI. I don't have any specific reason to doubt the oil, and I don't have any analysis results with it.

My only other thought on them past that is after I drained the Schaeffer's and went to something else, I learned of how they use a 4-ball wear test. I wouldn't have a problem with that if they were honest about the part where that testing apparatus is only relevant to extreme pressure (as in gearboxes, differentials), but they pitch it as also relevant to motor oil, which it simply isn't. There's always a little bit of "other-than-truth" in marketing but I find this pretty egregious. Though I have ethical issues supporting companies that let the marketeers run the show, the product itself is probably perfectly fine.

·
Registered
17,230 Posts
There's always a little bit of "other-than-truth" in marketing but I find this pretty egregious. Though I have ethical issues supporting companies that let the marketeers run the show, the product itself is probably perfectly fine.
Also true of their fuel additive. "The engineering used to formulate ULSD strips away beneficial lubricity; this can cause fuel system wear and lead to clogged injectors and filters" No mention that lubricity agents are added back in before the fuel is dispensed at the pump. Clogged injectors and filters......really?

https://www.schaefferoil.com/fuel-additives.html

At least they finally removed the myth from their advertising that sulfur is a lubricant in diesel as lead is in gasoline. Their lack of credibility keeps me from even considering buying their products.

·
Registered
321 Posts
GAmes - Care to expand on sulfer in diesel not being a lubricant? Did some searching and everything I am finding says it indeed helps increase lubrication.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts