Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Best oil for 6.7 Cummins

306291 Views 73 Replies 40 Participants Last post by  Jhenderson
This might've been already discussed, but couldn't find something that answered my question. I'm looking for a oil that protects, but at the same time improves fuel mileage. Is T6 5W-40 a good engine oil for an Eastern NC truck? What oil are you guys running/recommend?
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

· Registered
169 Posts
I did a ton of research since I was about to do the first oil change (for me) on my truck. I looked up the ACEA C3 and MS-11106 specifications as per the manual and the search of those types of oils is a PITA. Ended up calling the dealer I like to go to and described I was trying to follow the manual and asked what brand of oil they used. I was put on hold for about 2 minutes and the same guy got back on the phone and said "it's 15w40". I replied, "yeah, I know that" and said I was looking more for a brand to stay within the specs. He basically repeated the same thing and never specifically stated a brand or anything. I'm convinced they are just throwing bulk oil in and it's whatever is cheapest at the time. That phone call left me with little to no confidence in their service dept.

Ultimately, I went with Rosella T6. I don't know what was in it but when I would start my truck I had a tick for about 10 seconds until I think the oil coated parts and it would go away. I haven't had that same tick now with the T6 and it even sounds and feels like it likes it better.

· Registered
158 Posts
I have used nothing but Rotella in all my Ram/Cummins trucks. I also use Rotella in all my diesel powered welding machines. Shell makes a superior product. Ran good old Rotella 15/40 Dino oil in 5.9 but in both of my 6.7 trucks I use Rotella 5/40 full synthetic. Due to the long oil change intervals and the diversity of climates I travel to... Synthetic 5/40 seems to be the best option.

· Registered
169 Posts

· Registered
493 Posts
If you use the Rotella T6 5/40, or the other Rotella Oils, The Shell Rotella website has a rewards program. On each gallon jug of oil on the bottom of each cap there is a code, all you do is type the code in and you get points for Shell Rewards. The website keeps track of your reward points, you can check your points online. If you have your oil changed at a Mopar Ram Dealer, as long as they use Rotella you get even more points. The Rotella T6 credits the most points of the Rotella Products. There is a reward that costs 50 points, if you are selected, you can win a 3-gallon case of Rotella T6. I figure if you are buying the oil, why not earn the points.

· Registered
6,515 Posts
HAs anyone tried contacting Cummins directly to see what they say? They built the motor and know it better then any dealer. I plan on it before my first oil change.
Valvoline premium blue is endorsed by Cummins. You can bet a farm out west there's $$$ involved. No engine mfg will tell you which brand to run out of liability concerns. Any 15-40 or 5-40 that meets spec will be fine. The motors come with synthetic because Cummins doesn't know where or at what temperature the motor will be put into service.

· Registered
493 Posts
I know Cummins endorses Valvoline [ Valvoline Blue 15W40 and Valvoline Extreme 5w40] it's written on thier bottles. Both are good oils, without a doubt. I used to use the Valvoline Extreme 5w40 diesel oil, it was getting harder to find it in my area and was more expensive than the T-6. I have no regrets using the T6.

· Registered
1,173 Posts
I just changed the oil in my '11 2500 with the T6. So far its been great

· Registered
1,173 Posts
The zinc acts as a barrier between moving parts which reduces wear.

· Registered
2016 3500 SRW CrewCab
1,841 Posts
What about using the Walmart Brand SuperTech conventional 15/40 ? It seems to meet Cummins specificatons. If I was planning on changing the oil every 8-9000 miles, wouldn't that be a good enough oil at a significant savings over other national brands.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts