Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Cummins of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the best oil filter for these trucks? Ive ben running STP filters because thats all i could find with a fluted can? Also im wanting to buy by the case so where is the best place?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I use Napa Gold filters on most of my vehicles, but I’m using FleetGuard filters on the Ram.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use WIX/NAPA gold filters

·
Registered
146 Posts
I use Mopar filters just because I can get them at Wal-Mart easily for $9.88.

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
Here is my order of precedence based on ratings

Amsoil, 15 microns absolute
Fleetguard Stratapore 25 microns absolute
Fleetguard 35 microns absolute m(stock filter)
Wix/Napa Gold XE 14 microns nominal (no absolute rating given... but would guess in the 25+ range)
Wix/Napa Gold 20 microns nominal (no absolute rating given... but would guess in the 35+ range)

absolute is 98.7% efficient and nominal is 50% efficient

Wix makes a good filter, just doen't filter fine enough for me, plus I run extended drain intervals so the amsoil makes the most sence, and I have a bypass...I do carry Wix air/fuel/oil filters as my spares thou, as they are cheap and good filters. If Wix would publish their absolute ratings I may move them up the list, but that wouldn't change what I run.

Reactions: John7979

·
Registered
389 Posts
Regular Fleetguard for now, but will be switching to Amsoil filter and Amsoil Series 3000 5W30 this fall. I use Amsoil EA oil filters in all my vehicles.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wix and purolator seem to be the popular brands in my area. I suppose i will try the Fleetguard Stratapore considering i can nearly get 3 of them for the price of 1 amsoil plu si beleive my fuel filter is a fleetguard as well.. I run Rotella T oil by the way which is used by most of my friends in all their farm equipment and trucks. I suppose it a decent oil for the price.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Fleetguard Stratapore here, won't get any arguments as to it not being an 'approved' filter should anything come up in the future that involves questions of oil quality.

I think there is a list somewhere of 'approved' filters, not that it really matters but it is one less thing to argue about with the stealer.

·
SC Chapter President
1,288 Posts
According to the folks on the TDR forums the best one is a Hastings filter. It has more surface area inside the filter for more filtration. The runner up is a Wix/NAPA Gold filter. I personally would run a NAPA filter. Ive been running these for well over 5 years and have had no trouble. Also the company I work for uses them and we run a 7500 mile oil change interval using Mobil; Delvac 1300. No problems to date. If I could find a Hastings filter thats the one I'd run.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just don't use Fram! :thud:
Yeah no kidding ive read some bad stories about fram. Plus the Fram model for our trucks isnt fluted which is a must if using a filter socket.

·
Premium Member
25,250 Posts
I've actually seen one that has come apart inside, not good. :thud:

Dodge | Commins | Forum

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
According to the folks on the TDR forums the best one is a Hastings filter. It has more surface area inside the filter for more filtration. The runner up is a Wix/NAPA Gold filter. I personally would run a NAPA filter. Ive been running these for well over 5 years and have had no trouble. Also the company I work for uses them and we run a 7500 mile oil change interval using Mobil; Delvac 1300. No problems to date. If I could find a Hastings filter thats the one I'd run.
I am pretty sure hastings is the same as baldwin... I am not sure on the ratings on those, but I am almost positive they don't beat the ratings on a Amsoil, thou Baldwin/Hastings does have the best fuel filter.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I run the k&n oil filter on my 6.7 cuz it was the only one there at the time and have been getting it since.

·
Registered
87 Posts
filter

:hyper: I bought a case of 12 ac delco filters with the fluted bottom on e-bay. by the case including shipped equalled $5.50 dollars each. :peelout

·
Registered
10,349 Posts
Did some research and I wouldn't call the hastings the best. Its rated at 12 nominal and 30 absolute, so its between a stratapore and OEM. It may have more material so it will hold more but it doesn't filter as fine.

·
Registered
395 Posts
AMSOIL all the way

·
Registered
156 Posts
How about the Mobil 1 oil filter? Has anyone read how they rate?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts