Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Smarty and tried it. It smokes a lot which I do not like (My son loved it). I removed it after one day.

What is the best no/low smoke tuner? I want low HP gains for towing a horse trailer.

The Smarty works well. I had improved power and mileage I just hate all the smoke.

Also, should I worry about stock injector duty cycles? I tow a horse trailer and reliability is a must. If I can't get it I will keep the truck stock.

Thanks for your advice!

· Registered
711 Posts
Keep the smarty, and just run it on lower settings, that alone will help your smoke problem. And make sure you run the even levels that add timing. It will help smoke a little bit. Smoke isnt a bad thing, it just means that you have less air than you need. Keep your foot out of it, and you wont have smoke either. Just a thought, because the smarty is a helluva programmer

· Banned
5,760 Posts
How much power are you looking to add? Do you have any gauges on that truck? What settings were you running the Smarty on?

How much smoke are we talking here? And when? All the time? Just off the line? After the torque converter locks up?

Is it possible you were shifting too early? You have to keep the revs up and the turbo spooled to clean up the smoke.

To increase power and mileage, most boxes add timing. This does incrase smoke some.

· Banned
5,760 Posts
Keep the smarty, and just run it on lower settings, that alone will help your smoke problem. And make sure you run the even levels that add timing. It will help smoke a little bit. Smoke isnt a bad thing, it just means that you have less air than you need. Keep your foot out of it, and you wont have smoke either. Just a thought, because the smarty is a helluva programmer
Disagree....

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
Keep the Smarty. Run it on SW3 with the TQM on 1 or 2(I like 2 better). For being how stock it is if you run it at a lower level without cranking the TQM up it should hardly smoke just driving around.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the power level 3 provides. I have run it on 1,3,5. It smokes on all three. Low RPM's mostly. Certainly on take off. Also on start up. It is enough smoke to make James Bond proud on hard take off.

I have done nothing with the TQM. I have a manual xmsn. I did not think I did anything with that. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I tried it on the odd numbers because of desired timming affect.

Levels tried and use:
5-To see what it was like (fun:D)
3-Used all day
1-Used next morning to see if smoke would reduce. It did not so I removed it and have not used it since.

I also fear killing my injectors with upping the duty cycle by using Smarty. There sure seems to be alot of injector issues and alot of folks are using Smarty.

· Registered
1,458 Posts
I have run it on 1,3,5. It smokes on all three. Low RPM's mostly. Certainly on take off. Also on start up. It is enough smoke to make James Bond proud on hard take off.

I have done nothing with the TQM. I have a manual xmsn. I did not think I did anything with that. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Levels tried and use:
3-Used all day
1-Used next morning to see if smoke would reduce. It did not so I removed it and have not used it since.

I also fear killing my injectors with upping the duty cycle by using Smarty. There sure seems to be alot of injector issues and alot of folks are using Smarty.

Strange........ I notice a reduction in smoke from stock software using SW#1......... :confused013:

· Registered
828 Posts
How does less timing take away smoke? Im not disagreeing with you, Im just confused :confused013: Ive been told and it makes sense to me that added timing will help more fuel get burnt in the cylinder before being exhausted out.
i think what he was trying to tell you is that even numbers on smarty = no timing

you had it the other way around :confused013:

· Registered
828 Posts
I like the power level 3 provides. I have run it on 1,3,5. It smokes on all three. Low RPM's mostly. Certainly on take off. Also on start up. It is enough smoke to make James Bond proud on hard take off.

Levels tried and use:
3-Used all day

try level 2 & 4 just to see what it's like before :S: the smarty

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
I am not sure why you are getting so much smoke. Dumb, but is your air filter clean?(sorry I had to ask to make sure)

I plugged my smarty into a friends STOCK 06 and even on SW7 he could just barely make a puff. Tomorrow I would try this:
Go into the adjust settings and turn TQM on 1(if will feel weird probably), then turn the RP down low also, then load SW3. If that doesn't help I gotta ask; What the heck are you doing to make it smoke so much??? :confused013:

· Registered
607 Posts
I bet your air filter is dirty. With my aem intake, the smarty barely smoke's at all.

· Registered
133 Posts
If you decide you dont want it...I have a Quad X2 ill trade you plus cash...Just let me know

· Registered
444 Posts
Banks power claims to be the smokeless wonder. I had the Banks Power Pda before I traded up for a TST and Smarty. The banks worked good, less smoke, and power for towing. You can probably get a used one fairly cheap on here.

· Registered
69 Posts
FWIW; I had a Superchips on my truck for 100K miles and it would smoke if you got into the skinny pedal on performance, but hardly any on Towing. It makes great power and good MPG also.

· Registered
253 Posts
I bet your air filter is dirty. With my aem intake, the smarty barely smoke's at all.
this above quote makes me ask if you have a stock intake or an aftermarket?

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have the stock intake. The airfilter is not dirty. I am anal about service.

I have no idea why it smokes so much. I can cloud an intersection though!

· Premium Member
2,608 Posts
I have the stock intake. The airfilter is not dirty. I am anal about service.

I have no idea why it smokes so much. I can cloud an intersection though!
I am still confused on how you are doing this. With my larger turbo I can smoke like an SOB(lag) but a stock truck should not smoke with the smarty on SW3 unless you are just giving her hell all over the place! :confused013:

· Registered
253 Posts
Reason I ask is b/c eventhough the engine relies on the Mass Airflow to let the comp know how much fuel to compensate with, maybe the smarty is dumping too much fuel for the amount of air the stock box flows.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.