Dodge Cummins Diesel Forum banner

Best mileage setting for juice with attitude

4442 Views 23 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  NorCal Cummins
this is for my buddy, he has an 02 quad cab short box 3.55 gears cold air intake and stacks, along with the attitude. just wondering whats the best settings for mileage.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,002 Posts
Really depends on the driver. Edge would say 2x2, i get the best on 3x3. Guys with the comp box are saying they get the best on 4x4.

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
can't remember what he has the lower setting set at but he told me he got 21 on setting 3 on a long raod trip. and 19 on 3 on the return trip but with heavy winds

· Got P7100?
6,493 Posts
I did pretty good on 3x5 and 5x5 if i could stay out of the throttle. He just has to be careful if he has a stock tranny/clutch.

· Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya he doesnt use 5 to much unless he has to blow somebody away plus his fuel pressure drops alot too. so hes saving for a FASS and a tranny.

· Registered
3,618 Posts
I get the best on 3+1 & could get better on the higher settings but the throttle is to sensitive to use my cruse controle on the higher settings.

· Registered
3,618 Posts
My best was 21.4 doing between 70 & 75 MPH & that is hand calculated with 3.55 gears & 37" tires setting was 3+1 or 3+3 I cant remember.

· Registered
1,654 Posts
i got better milage on 3x5 then any of the other ones. i tried all of them out.

· Registered
5,648 Posts
mine gets best all round on 5, all the lower ones really dont do anything for mine, I run it 8hrs a day on 5, I do have the smoke setting on 3, otherwise theres too much black when the engine loads up

· Banned
1,252 Posts
4x4 or 5x4, 5x5 is good settings because you get the timing. timing = good mileage. but you need to keep your foot out of it, once your boost comes up there goes the mileage. if your cruising on the highway and no boost the added timng is keeping you moving but once the boost comes up the extra fuel gets added and then your running on the fuel more so. this is how it was explained to me. he will chime in eventually im sure. any setting above 3 tho with boost under 5 and egt under 650-700 and youll see decent numbers ive experienced. its 65% driver style and rest mods but thats just me

· Registered
83 Posts
what is this smoke setting your talkin about anyhow, i have the cts edge in my 02 , thanks

· Registered
963 Posts
Mines always on 6x5-hot. Im consistently getting just over 20mpg. Im 43 years old so i can control right foot.(this is the key:woohoo:)

· Registered
368 Posts
I have an edge jwa, how are you guys getting more than one number? Mine only goes 1 through 5, no 5x4 or any of that...

· Registered
420 Posts
I get best on 1-1 for some way, maybe it's my low stall TC, when unloaded I'm getting 17-19 depends on the hills I go over. When loaded down heavy I run 2-2 and get from 8-10 again depends on the hills I go over. Now if I'm with no trailer on 3-3 I get 20-22 mpg's at 70-75 mph no matter what hills i go over. The best setting is the on your truck likes with out alot of black smoke, under throttle all u should get is a light black haze and strong power. Black smoke is wasted fuel. Play with it until u find ur trucks happy spot.

· Registered
5,648 Posts
I have an edge jwa, how are you guys getting more than one number? Mine only goes 1 through 5, no 5x4 or any of that...
inside each power number there is a low boost/smoke setting it also goes 1-5, so power level 1 with the lowest smoke setting (1)does not have the responsiveness of level 1 boost 5

this should be in the inst manual

Reactions: JohnVH
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.